Thoughts on improving defense

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BillSmauz, Nov 27, 2012.

1. BillSmauz

In this post I am going to be discussing how Tech Plant and Amp Station (avoiding Bio labs as these focus on infantry combat primarily) defenses can be improved.

So right now in Planetside 2's major facilities (primarily the Tech Plants and Amp Stations) the battles go something like this: enemy convoy roles up, infantry flood through openings in the walls and the attackers and defenders play Tag with the generator until the attackers destroy the anti-vehicle shield in which MBT's can role into the facility's interior and the attackers have pretty much won at this point. It feels pretty dry and pointless to be honest, defending a facility isn't fun when there are tanks camped outside your spawn.

The Problems
    • Battlements surrounding the facilities are generally unused by the defenders and seem to be more of a simple barrier rather than a defensive fortification.
    • Gaps in the walls that allow offensive infantry to flood into the facility grants too easy of access to the interior of the base.
    • Facility Stationary Turrets are inefficient due ease of destroying them.
    • Offensive infantry being able to use the jump pads that launch you from tower to tower grants too easy of mobility for attackers.

Improvement Suggestions (Pro's and Con's)
    • Maybe redesigning the battlements to be wider and with ramps to allow vehicle accessibility along them and maybe placing generators on the battlement themself to promote defenders positioning themselves along the battlements.
    • Make the passageways for offensive infantry into the interior of the facility more linear and corridor-like to prevent the influx of offensive infantry running around the facility's interior playing tag with the defenders for the generators. Make the passageways an indoor network with various rooms for defending and paths to balance it for the offensive faction.
    • Make a new type of generator, call it the 'Turret Shield Generator' if you wish, that makes AV/AA turrets either invulnerable to damage or have significantly more health but when the generator is destroyed the turrets will become more vulnerable to damage.
    • Make the launch pads that shoot you across from tower to tower faction specific, this means that if the Terran Republic own the facility only they can use these pads.
    • Up x 2
  2. irewolf

While at first I liked the new open bases I would like to see more of a mix. I would like so see, maybe on the new conts some of the older style PS1 bases. Maybe not quite as cramped but something similar.
  3. Ixal

Don't forget the issue of spawning in a single room with 1, maybe 2 easily campable exits. That especially applies to smaller bases where you can be camped by HE Magriders.
  4. strateUPjanky

i like the better turret generator idea. a AT turret can hardly 1v1 a tank. or at least 20% more health would help greatly especially since it seems i need to 1v20 all the tanks outside the base bc my teammates are gone off farming kills instead of fighting for the base we just captured. seeing how it nets one tenth the exp and u end up getting killed by tanks most of the time i dont blame them. its a great game btw!!!! dont get me wrong i love this game to death
  5. notyourbuddy

Problem I see is the defenders never back cap nor do they make an effort to take out the Sundy. They just try to turtle or play generator tag and think it will all work out.

1 - Respawn in a neighboring hex, get a flash, and go recap the security station.
    2 - Respawn in a neighboring hex, get a sunderer, deploy it either in a flanking position to take out the enemy sunderer and annoy the attackers or deploy it near a security station and recap.

But, rarely does anyone do this. They'd rather just re-spawn inside the base for instant action.

I actually find the tech the easiest to defend even without good teamwork. 90% of the time the enemy sunderer is placed right up against the wall. Grab an engi with 2 mines, go up a tower, hop on all the purple pads till you spot the sunderer, walk along the barricade, jump down, instantly drop down 2 mines *BOOM*. Very difficult for an attacking force to stop this.

Sounds like a liberator's best friend. Free kills.