Why don't they let us launch the game if we don't meet the min requirements?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Caito, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Caito

Seriously why? What game does that? I've never played a game that doesn't let you launch it and I've played several games that I don't meet the requirements for and I can still play them. Can anyone explain to me why they would do something this stupid?
  2. TSR-SeanF Customer Service

The game *should* let you in with some pretty minimal specifications (with the exception of the video card, which has some fairly stringent requirements). What exactly happens when you try and enter the game? Are you encountering any "G" error messages?
  3. Caito

Yeah I get the G25 error and yeah my graphics card doesn't meet the requirements. But why does it do that? Why can't I at least try to play it.
  4. TSR-SeanF Customer Service

The game requires a good GPU to ensure that you will have an optimal playing experience, so our card requirements are fairly high to ensure that PlanetSide 2 will have beautiful graphics for years to come. If you would like, you are more than welcome to PM me with your card information and I can give you some suggestions regarding an upgrade or you can review our current supported card list at the following link:

http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36590
  5. Caito

The thing is that even if I wanted to I can't change my graphics card because I'm on a laptop. Do you guys plan on expanding on your supported graphics cards so that people with lower end computers can play?
  6. Mansen

Don't count on it - The game is scraping the bare minimum as it is.

You're not using an Intel Integrated video card by any chance? Those really aren't designed with games in mind (not even the HD 4000 which is much faster than the old 3000 series)
  7. manfromh

My GPU is below minimum, but luckily is not on the unsupported (or any other) list. I'm getting 25-45fps in most areas, which is enough for me to have fun.

Not letting a player play with a GPU that's below minimum is just silly. Players should be able to see for themselves what framerate they get and decide whether it's enough for them or not. People learn from experiences and not so much from enforced rules. (a few years ago, on a laptop with intel integrated graphics, I played COD: MW2 on 800x600, everything minimum, some maps unplayable, some playable and still managed to have fun).
    • Up x 1
  8. Twist

Speed isn't the primary reason we don't allow some graphics card to play the game. It is their ability to draw specific effects. If you don't have a shader model 3.0 capable card, there are many things in the game that simply will not render. There is no software path available for these effects that would be anywhere close to acceptable in terms of performance.
    • Up x 1
  9. Sdragoner

thats actual funny that you let the game run on a gforce 8600 who is crap compare it to a 3780 but YOU CANT START and guess what SOE support I can rewrite the bios on the 3780 for other ID and bingo, game starts.
  10. Bape

Strage my video card is under the unsupported list but systemlab says i pass the minimum requirment and i get about 40-65 fps. Soooooooo why am i able to play the game if my video card is suppose to be unsupported :O? I have a GT 540m 2GB
  11. TSR-SeanF Customer Service

This may be the result of a whole different, and more complex issue all together. Are you currently running an SLI set up or through a VPN? Also, did you recently upgrade the video card hardware in your system?
  12. Sdragoner

are you kiddn me? are you a person who know pcs? this M stands for mobile. Really what do you know SOE guys?
  13. Caito

@Mansen I have a Mobility Radeon HD 3400 and @Twist it supports shader 3.0. @manfromh This is exactly how I feel as well. Let me see for myself that I can't play. Maybe I just wanna stand at the warpgape and fool around lagging as hell. But let me decide if I can play or not. @Sdragoner You wanna teach me how to do this :D @Bape And this. I've seen people with higher graphics that get the same error, but people that don't meet the requirements can run it.

Plus this has been like this since beta. I was excited to get my beta key and then nothing. Then I waited and nothing. So please let us play SOE!!! =D
  14. TSR-SeanF Customer Service

Sorry long hours of answering these kind of questions can cause you to miss some minor details. :confused:

Now that you mention it, the GT 540 M is unsupported video hardware, which would explain why it not working. For a full list of supported video hardware please check out the following link in our knowledge base:

http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36590/
  15. Caito

The funny part is that it is working as the guy explained. =D
    • Up x 2
  16. Mansen

The hardcoded requirement is the shader version. If your card does not have... is it 4.1? support you will never be able to run the game legitimately (We're ignoring various injection methods here). But supporting 4.1 alone is not necessarily enough - this just means you can DISPLAY the required graphics - not that it is particularly good at it.

This is why some cards that are considered unsupported will run the game, while others will not.
  17. Pouchey2

All i'm going to say is....

If i get this error because i don't have the minimum spec graphics due to my intergrated Graphics card, Intel yes, There will be trouble...

I was in the beta, and i ran fine, PERFECTLY fine...
    I haven't managed to get the game dled yet due to steam being stupid and restarting it all the time
  18. ArcaneGuardian

Took me a minute to figure out that graph, might want to add a big black line or something to the categories. It looks like at the bottom of the green and into the yellow those were all laptop/mobile cards from there on down. Doesn't look like it restarts on desktops. Just a suggestion!

But otherwise, very helpful chart!
  19. Stadulator

If you have a card that will not render certain objects/effects, I don't want you to play.

Reason being, if you omit certain game play aspects (over gamma at night, terrain reduction ect) you'll have an advantage. If your system can't render the explosions and resulting smoke (which obstructs targets) then your sight on said target will not be disrupted and you'll still be able to see it.

Time to get off the laptop your folks got you for high school and get a real rig
  20. TSR-SeanF Customer Service

That is a great suggestion, I will be sure to pass that up!