Upgraded to a 7870 now getting blue screen restarts..

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Joey51, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Joey51

Hello all after starting planetside I knew it was time to upgrade my old 5770. So I ended up buying a 7870 which doubled my FPS in all situations making me happy... Well for 10-15 mins at a time. Now I am getting random crashes which after a few times lead to the dreaded blue screen crash.

I have tried the newest drivers and the beta drivers for the card but both have the same end result.
    Current spec is

i5 650
    Win 7 64bit
    Assus p7p55-m
    4gig Corsair dd3 1600
    700W Ez Cool Tornado

If anyone has any suggestions/information I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you
  2. PoopMaster

How hot does the card get?
  3. Santiak

Have you tested to see if it also occurs in other games?
    If it does, I'd wager it's likely faulty hardware. ;\
  4. helloworldy

Get Furmark or any other GPU bench tool, run it and see if you still get BSOD. Also do a full reinstall of the drivers. Use Driver Sweeper (it is still available somewhere).
  5. Nepas

The PSU is Junk.It won't be providing enough juice which is why you will get the BSOD under heavy long loads.I would change that asap,if it blows it will take most if not all the system with it.

Spend 50-60 quid on a GOOD PSU(Antec/Corsair)
    • Up x 1
  6. Leesin

700W is far more than enough for what he has in his PC, it's not that at all mate.

Ok, now to the topic. I too have always suffered teething issues with my ATI cards, but with some tweaking and troubleshooting I've always gotten them running great. First step, I don't use the Control Center ********, delete that crap. Install MSI Afterburner, it's better and will allow you to change the speeds of your GPU clocks just like the other **** but without all the unwanted crap, and also fan speed which you should increase manually and leave it at a decent speed, it's much cheaper to replace a GPU fan than a GPU, the cooler your GPU is the better condition it will stay in for longer.

First of all try turning down the Core clock by about 100mhz in MSI afterburner to see if that makes any difference ( you must click apply to put it into effect ), if it doesn't help then try maybe 50mhz lower ontop of the 100mhz already issued. If no success also try lowering the memory clock ( not personally had a problem with this myself but it could be worth a shot ). Just using this method I've fixed BSOD issues and display driver reset issues for any game I've ever had issues with, of course make sure you have up to date drivers too. If these small steps do not help you and you keep getting BSOD you may have a faulty GPU, or you might find someone else around here who has the same card and similar issues.
  7. Nepas

Its a cheap bad PSU that will NOT do 700w,look it up on johnnyguru or something.
    • Up x 1
  8. Mansen

I've had the 7870 for half a year (two of them - one had a RAM fault) without any BSODs. Sounds like you didn't properly clean your drivers or something similar.

And I really wouldn't put any trust in a no name PSU such as yours, OP. 700W or not - it's more about stability than raw output.
    • Up x 1
  9. Clem

There's more to a PSU than it's rated wattage.
    • Up x 1
  10. SlicedGB

I would also say try a different PSU, but first if possible try the GPU in another computer. That way you can eliminate it if it is the cause. Its too expensive to go out buying a new PSU on a hunch so test the GPU first.
    I personally have had a 1050W EZ cool psu for well over a year and all has been fine. It currently powers a 15 2500k @ 4.7Ghz, 480 @ 888Mhz and a 9800GTX+ @ 810Mhz and alot of other things. I have never ran into any problems with it.
    Yes they are an unknown brand, but they can't be untrusted because of a few reviews. I took the jump and it all worked out.

If your PSU has been running fine for how many years then its unlikely to be the cause.
  11. eZmod3

GPU overheating will not cause BSOD. It's memory or CPU related. If you didn't overclock your CPU or memory then your PSU is not strong enough. If you did then lower CPU clocks/voltage. Clean your PSU. Heat will make it less efficient.
  12. PerfectInsanity

Guess u have been lucky then...
    It wont take u much more then a quick google search to confirm that EZcool PSU's have been eating rigs and burning **** were the demands have been anything higher then a web browser...

That GPU alone eats about 330w under load...
    The rest is not very power consuming, lets say we land somewhere just above 400w during load...
    Sure this is not much, but for a PSU that do not state what it ACTUALLY can handle and on top of that is also know for burning components i would surely not risk it...

On top of this, the only symptom that is missing for a PSU that is lacking power is the spontaneously "restarts".

The main reason why he should just go out getting a quality PSU is due too the fact that this is whats most likely to actually permanently damage his hardware.

The reason why i lashed out on you is that you totally disregarded valid input on his PSU and recommended OP to do the same...

On my English, yes there is a language barrier but it doesn't make ur point any more valid...
  13. Mansen

14. PerfectInsanity

I never go for maximum load, but the medium value of a game session....
    U will never really get maximum load while playing anything, even if this was tested out with metro which is a very GPU intensive game...

Could find you the link again if you are not willing to take my word on it...
  15. Mansen

Who are you talking to? It's all about context and quotes.
  16. PerfectInsanity

I do not see any need for quotes when i am speaking to previously speaker....

Learn how to forum =)
  17. Mansen

In that case - learn to reading comprehension. I merely corrected your flawed post, which you then repeated afterwards and then asked for a link to some mysterious 9th dimension for no apparant reason. :rolleyes:
  18. eZmod3

It's amazing how the English pro managed to write over 600 characters using only 2 sentences.
    • Up x 2
  19. Legitsu

that psu is JUNK go buy something that doesn't suck aquick google would have told you that replace it with something reliable never skimp on the PSU
    a Quality 600 Watt PSU will be more then enough
  20. PerfectInsanity

Obviously i was talking about a test of the power consumption of his GPU that i did not take out of this air, but rather from a neat thing called the internet...

It would not take a rocket scientist to figure out what link i was talking about...

Here is some information about links!
    HTML Hyperlinks (Links)

The HTML <a> tag defines a hyperlink.
    A hyperlink (or link) is a word, group of words, or image that you can click on to jump to another document.
    When you move the cursor over a link in a Web page, the arrow will turn into a little hand.
    The most important attribute of the <a> element is the href attribute, which indicates the link’s destination.