Crashing to desktop.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Antigrav01, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Antigrav01

Every time I play the game, it will crash to the desktop after 5-10 minutes. Ive tried all sorts of graphics settings and played on different servers. It used to just freeze and refuse to display the Steam overlay, but since ive opted into the "big picture" beta, everything seems fine...except the crashing.

Windows 7 32-bit
    4GB RAM, 1600MHz
    GTX 480
    Intel Core i5 3450, 3.1GHz

I know other people have been experiencing this, but im hoping someone can give a solution I havent been able to find. Or maybe some insight as to when this will be fixed by a patch.
  2. Axxm

I'm experiencing the same, they've YET to address it publicly...really actually annoying how we're having to deal with this constantly and yet no fixes for it yet.
  3. Antigrav01

I lowered my GPU clock speed down from 760MHz to 700 (default). I actually lasted a good 20-25 minutes. Thought I was good to go, but then I crashed. Maybe ill try underclocking to see if that does anything.
  4. Antigrav01

Nope. Doesnt help.
  5. Thizz

Same problem here. Hopefully well get a fix. Sometimes it lets me play like 30 minutes, others, under 2. what the **** is going on?
  6. ThePerfectSt0rm

I am also experiencing this problem except for me it goes about 30:00 minutes - 1 hour(generally)
    I am using Windows XP, Nvidia video card (not sure which version) and a Dual core AMD Athlon.
  7. stylinonyou

yea same issue here, yet i havn't heard a single peep from the mods on this. it seems like every other issue on the forums the mods comment on, i have yet to find a thread about this where a mod comments. I crash every 5-10 minutes aswell, pretty damn annoying.

Here are my specs:
    Win 7 32-bit (currently trying to upgrade to 64bit soon), AMD Phenom II X4 955, 6GB ram ( i am aware i can only utilize 3.24 with 32-bit), 1TB HD, and AMD Radeon HD 6570 graphics card.

Also it is weird because it doesn't even give an error code it just crashes to the desktop
  8. stylinonyou

Also there was this same issue in the beta and they never did anything about it, its so annoying
  9. martyman

im having your exact issue only im using Windows 7 and ive been crashing for the past 2 months and they still havnt been able to fix it
  10. THEONYXHERO

The game was running fine since yesterday. Tonight I was playing it, then like an hour ago, I exited the game to finish a movie, then went to play it again and I am just getting "planetside2.exe has stopped working" every time after pressing play on the launcher. Tried reinstalling, same thing, verified files, same thing... wtf is going on?! Did they throw out a bunk patch?

Windows 8
    i5-3570k
    8GB DDR3 1600mhz
    MSI GTX 670
  11. Antigrav01

Steam updated. I also played in windowed fullscreen. I was hopeful this might fix it, but of course it doesnt. Wasted 250 points on a Magrider too. Its not much, but come on. This shouldnt be happening anyway.

martyman: 2 months? Well if they havent fixed it by then, I dont think we should look forward to a quick fix now. Its probably going to take them awhile to even acknowledge it.

Ill tell you what though, theres no way im even going to consider spending any money on this game if these problems arent fixed. Im talking not only about the crashing, but even a slight FPS increase would be great. Im getting 20-40, but increasing that by just a few will be noticeable. Honestly, id be fine with actually buying the game if it meant one that actually worked properly. I should have expected crap to happen when I knew it would be free.
  12. ThePerfectSt0rm

I am also experiencing this problem except for me it goes about 30:00 minutes - 1 hour(generally)
    I am using Windows XP, ATI video card (not sure which version) and a Dual core AMD Athlon.
  13. ThePerfectSt0rm

Sorry about posting another one I have different video card it is not a Nvidia
  14. Csatrad

Hey guys I tought I drop by and say that the fix from other posts worked both for me and my friend.
    I actually had the outofmemory.txt thats why it worked i guess.
    Before you do you must set your swap file size to at least 8 G. (I have mine on 8-10G).
    You can do this on control panel -> system -> On the left special settings -> Then on the top things special -> and at the performance click button setting -> then go to special again on the top thing and you find there at the bottom -> set
    The fix is you go to windows directory and search for cmd.exe (i think its in the system folder), rightclick and run as administrator
    Then type in bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3000
    Then press enter and close the cmd program.
    Then restart the computer (its boot thing so you need to do it)

The funny thing is. I have triplex 3G memory So i actually have 3072 MB of memory and this allocates nearly all. But don't worry the swap file makes up for all the "loss".

ALso those who have 2 or even 1 G memory don't worry. THIS FIX WILL HELP YOU TOO!!! My friend have 2 Gig memory and a crapy comp and he typed 3000 too (lol) and it worked for him we played for many hours without problem.

Also the cpu park worked for him too he had a simple Dual Core processor but makes sure you have enough cooling on the CPU and watch the heat if it goes over 80 celsius watch out it usually shut down at 100-110.

Oh and when you run the game go to program files -> steam -> steamaps -> common -> planetside2 -> and right click launch.exe and run as administrator. (just a sidenote i also uninstalled and reinstalled the game trough theire own installer not the steam before i did this)

To delete the bcdedit thing search the cmd again run as administrator again and type bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva (and reboot)
  15. Antigrav01

Actually a patch seemed to fix the problem for me. And I thought id have to wait a lot longer for that to happen. Good job, devs. Anybody else have their problem fixed with a recent patch?
  16. CHUCKmyNORRIS

For XP users if u have atleast 4GB ram try this:
    1) Press "Start" button
    2) Go to "Control panel"
    3) Double click on "System"
    4) Go to "Advanced" tab
    5) Press "Settings" next to "Startup and Recovery"
    6) Press "Edit" and u will open file
    7) In this file u have to add /3G /USERVA=3030
    8) After editing save file and reboot.

Here is and example:
    Before editing:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    After editing:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /3GB /USERVA=3030

I have already played 3 days with no crash at all. I hope this will work for you too!
  17. JojoTheSlayer

The issue is that "all" SOE computers and the future of gaming is 64bits.
    Ergo this issue is most probably ineffective memory usage. When it spikes in a 64bit you might crash, but you are guarantied to do so in 32bit. Ergo so many 32bit people having issues.

Click my Sig link on the subject and do A and B. You cant do C because you dont have a nVidia card, but those two trick together should increase stability under program memory over use **** ups. Which I think is PS2s main issue...