Draw Distance and my 7 day 50% xp boost

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Prophetx, Nov 25, 2012.

1. SniperFodder

No, It defiantly happens. But it only happens as far as I can tell, when the populace in a certain area is high. I mean really high. Last night NC was trying to take the Crown from TR. To the west of us the VS had the base. It almost felt like the entire server pop was there. I actually doubt it, but the amount of armor, air, and infantry in the area was amazingly insane. To top it all off I don't think I was even seeing everything.

At one of the bridges on the way up before you crossed, I would look up the road, and not see ANYTHING in the way of troops or vehicles. I would then proceed to rush across the bridge and BAM, out of nowhere troops, tanks, engineer turrets would all materialize. I would instantly get cut down. That is NOT okay. My PC isn't a slouch either. I have an i7-2600k at 3.4GHZ, 8GB of DDR3 ram, a GTX460 and a 9800 GT For Dedicated PhysX. The fact that I essentially couldn't see anything out at that range was ridiculous. It wasn't even that far. Maybe 50 meters away. But as soon as I got within 10 meters suddenly there's an army there.

Another thing I noticed was the increase in Rubber-banding after yesterday's patch. Not experienced by me myself, but me trying to shoot other players. There was a lot less of it before the patch. And the people who still lagport around? They still exist. So If yesterday's patch was aimed at that then they failed horribly.

---------
    The following can be skipped entirely. I just wanted to voice an opinion on the technical side of PS2.

At what I experienced on that bridge in the crown, This is just a purely opinionated look at how the game is built, but it kind of reminds me of how EVE online is built. Essentially, everywhere there is a object that you can see, There is a "room" around that object. As you warp from object to object, you enter and exit each room seamlessly. If you are out in the middle of nowhere, You create your own room that disappears as soon as you move into another room, unless you leave an object behind to keep it open. There can be multiple objects in a room, and a room dynamically re-sizes it self based up on where objects are in relation to each other. If two objects get Far away from each other without an intervening object in the middle of them, the room will split.

Now, whoever discovered this (I think it was someone in Goon Squad), they learned that you can shape each room by using other rooms. This was used in several instances where they made sure the room was really really small in width around a Player Owned Station.

Now, what does this have to do with anything? Well if You are in Room A, you can't target anything in Room B. So if you warp in on a station at 100KM, and the room where the station was built was narrowed down to 25 or 50 km in width, You can't target the station. To target it, you have to approach the station, and enter into room B where the station is at. This put you well within gun range of the station's Point Defense. You'd cross in to target only to be ripped to shreds. I think the entire concept of this was called GridFu.

Now, in relation to PS2, This is exactly how it felt when running up the bridge and watching as all that infantry appeared. It felt like I had literally stepped into one room from another like in EVE online. In all honesty this is probably NOT how it works. It feels like the system works more like All points Bulletin did, With Late loading resources and entity restriction. In other words, You can only see entities within X amount of meters around you when the total number of entities in a given area exceeds a certain point. This is mostly to compensate with the fact that You have a LARGE amount of resource intense entities in one area, so many entities that most if not all computers can not handle it. You would literally run out of memory and processing power for it all.

If anyone wants a link to the actual manual, you can PM me. I can't actually link it directly here on the forums as it does contain some objectionable material (What'd you expect, it is a Goon Swarm written document...). Or google it.
  2. iEatGlue

I think overreacting would be crying like a baby in all caps, making thread after thread of this same topic and just name calling people like you who don't seem to care that I consider it a game breaking bug. I know it's an issue they are (or should be) working on. I wanted to voice my concern in this thread stating the game is currently not enjoyable while this bug exists, as many would agree.

I was going to give some of my valuable extra income to SOE because I'm enjoying the game. That will not happen until this bug is fixed. I think SOE should be the ones overreacting.

Bug or no bug, my point remains the same. It is unacceptable.
  3. Arsinek

There you go youre not up close in the middle of the fighting. When theres a huge infantry battle going try running through the middle of it, people will be popping in and out of existence like crazy.
  4. iEatGlue

Here's videos I found from a quick search. I'm not home or I'd supply my own from last night.

From 11/21:

From 10/25:
  5. Garrand

Except you don't because this is a server problem, not client-side. Go snipe or lib bombing and you'll see the problem. If you just run into the meat grinder every time of course you won't see the issue.
  6. eatdachicken

I watched those 2 video, this has never happen to me, ever. What the hell?