Jackhammer needs serious help.

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Revamp, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Hurricane500

i tried it out today and thought it was pretty darn good, a lot better than the chaingun, havent tried VS yet
  2. Skadi

This,accept LOLVS (play VS for 5 mins with a mass of their playerbase all in one place and youl understand)
  3. deveras

I agree, all HA special weapons need and improve. Or, all other weapons need a serious nerf. The latter is even the better option, considering the fact that all weapons got MUCH better compared to beta start. Now the game feels like BF3 with regard to killing speed.
  4. Shhock

I bought the Jackhammer, well because I'm NC HA. It seems to work out great for me. The most I've ever had to shoot at one person is 3, and I've even 1 shot a couple of people too. So I don't know what all the complaining about it is coming from.
  5. Grotpar

Buy a shotgun.
  6. JojoTheSlayer

? why not try the NC Piston and compare it to the Jackhammer.
    The Jack suuucks and why no triple shot function? It was the landmark of the JH.
  7. Hurricane500

Well you would blow your whole mag in 2 shots but I agree that was a cool thing about the PS1 jackhammer, although this one did seem to fire as fast as I clicked

The only other shotty I tried was the Haymaker for TR and it wasn't as good as the jackhammer, I'll try more later, been trying LMGs mostly almost got them all. I honestly think NCs are the best.
  8. knighthonor

I agree the JH just sucks. It needs a new ability to the weapon or else automatics are just far better in close range.
  9. LiamPam

I had the Jackhammer in the Beta and there it had a Burst fire mode - firing 3 shots in pretty quick succession. Sure, two shots and magazine was empty - at least you could get an Extended Magazine certification to get a 10-shot magazine.
    Gettign back to the point: I think form day one the Jackhammer came out until the very end of the Beta I saw maybe (no joke) 1 or 2 other players use the Jackhammer at all - I did give it a try several times myself, only to be utterly outgunned i.e. by an Engineer a few meters away while emptying my magazine with burst fire on him. I didn't even break his shields.

There's a big reason noone uses it, and although I like NC pretty much (and still playing them), I feel pretty left over as a primary Heavy Assault player when looking at the other faction's Specialized Heavy Assault Weapons.
  10. knighthonor

My my my Johnny Gil. I just shot a player close range head and cheats. Two shots, didn't even break full shield.... Come on. This weapon is weak
  11. HittingSmoke

Not at all. The Lasher is absolutely beastly and I get the bulk of my kills with it. If you think the Lasher is not viable, you're using it wrong.
  12. Shendo

the jackhammer is trash you have to be so close to your target to even kill it. the sweeper is better stock then the jackhammer fully upgraded its r e t a r d e d. you have to be so close to your target you can see every nose hair they have to actually do damage with a jackhammer dont bother getting it wish i could return it its garbage.
  13. Antivide

Because the freaking thing spits out disco balls, and those disco balls actually hurt. It's like an automatic grenade launcher with no arc.
  14. Jaguar

After doing 30 minute trials on all three weapons, the only one I used that felt completely replaceable with another weapon on the faction was the Jackhammer.

The Mauler or Sweeper both make perfectly acceptable replacements for the Jackhammer, there is very little benefit to using the Jackhammer when it's clip size is only 6(10) and it has nearly no attachments..

There is nothing right now that makes the Jackhammer unique compared to a normal shotgun. The 3 shot burst is interesting enough.. but even with the slightly tightened cone it doesn't end up doing a whole lot.. and 6 in the clip... may as well just use the Mauler at that point and tap left click 3 times.. hell, at least I can use slugs in the Mauler!

Something needs to happen to make the Jackhammer stand out as something other than just a normal shotgun. As it is now, I wish I could kill VS and put a bunch of lashers in my locker. >_>

Ideas:
    What about anything like...
    • Ricochet effects on the pellets that miss targets, up to one bounce?
    • Piercing for hitting multiple targets?
    • Armor Penetration to do 33% of each shot to health pool? (useful for killing targets who regenerated shields at low health?)
    • Increase the clip and starting ammo by 50% base? (this should be done period considering the lasher or chaingun...)

What I'm getting at is that both the Lasher and Chaingun have something character-wise that makes them unique, and the 3-shot burst of the Jackhammer just doesn't sell it.

----

At least with VS, you have the decent AoE on every shot + good damage on direct hits with a 60 round clip (downside is the cone is a bit wide, but very usable for suppression) - This weapon is excellent for sweeping a control point room when you know somebody is lurking. Easy to force them into a fight with this gun.

And with the TR, you have an endless clip that fires steadily for a sustained cone of hell for anybody that moves into it.the huge clip and endless firing of the Chaingun for TR... (downside is it has to be spun up) Again, you can easily just spin up and start sweeping every corner of a room as you waddle in raining hell.
  15. HittingSmoke

I've never played another faction in PS2 (loyalty an all that...) but I can definitely say I've never been memorably killed by a Jackhammer... Actually I can't think of a single time I've seen the Jackhammer on my death screen. Plenty of MCG deaths though.

That said, let's just chalk this up to social justice for all the years we had to endure the Jackhammer in PS1.
  16. Draegnar

not that its particularly relevant but i found the mauler vastly superior to the sweeper, i used a trial on the sweeper to see if it compared to my experience with the mauler, which i used fairly heavily in beta, and i found it was honestly the worst gun i've ever seen short of the shadow on the infil. Horribly inaccurate for next to no benefit, i kill things faster with the GR-22 on the medic at every single range and at least it shoots where i point.
  17. voigt

Jackhammer is still really useless at anything beyond 10 meters, which is ridiculous as shotguns made today can hit targets at 200 yards. I would think shotguns in the future would be better than current tech but go figure. I wouldn't mind having to use 4 shots to kill someone as much if the gun came with more than 30 shots. LMGs come with 400 without buying any increased ammo certs. It only takes 10 or so hits to kill someone, you can get several kills before having to reload. Jackhammer you have to reload every single kill and maybe get 4 kills before you are completely out of shells.

I propose that instead of making jackhammer more damaging, shrink the cone of fire so its reliable at about 50m, make it a belt fed shotgun with no reload and 60 shots, semi-auto. This would give it an advantage of being one of the only guns without the need to reload allowing you to cover your lanes uninterrupted. It would have enough shots to last a small battle.

Example 200 yard shotgun

Example 30 round drum shotgun

Home Made belt fed shotgun lol
  18. Quor

I think 120 rounds total, 90 in reserve, 30 in the clip, fully automatic.

Auto fire (hold down left click) fires at a good rate of fire, but nothing spectacular. Not as fast as the full auto TR one for instance (or even the full auto NC one). Alt mode fire activates the 3-round burst but at the rate of speed you get with the left-click, meaning you would technically be outdoing the TR shotty for faster-firing shotgun, but at the cost of burning through shells like crazy.

Given that's its the NC unique heavy weapon, that's fine. It fills a niche role, similar to the Lasher and MCG, and provides a new, sidegrade-like use beyond the LMG's.
  19. Nosins

Tried the Jackhammer last Friday (23.11.12) and it was quite decent. a lot better than the lasher at least. Quite deadly at close range if you can aim, but the low total ammo you carry usually resulted in me dieing after ~5 kills due to having no ammo left. Up the ammo you carry for the jackhammer and it seems quite decent. (2 to 3 hits are a kill as far as i know (not going for headshots but maybe hitting it)) and it has a quite good RoF. But the TR Chaingun seems to still be the only really good heavy weapon.
  20. Nosins

Might have to add that i was quite lucky to only be fighting close range