Base Defence USELESS

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Smatchimo, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Smatchimo

Seeing as how the way we are currently rewarded for defending a base (not at all), we might as well just let the enemy take the base and come back to it in a few minutes for the certs.

the fact that base defense gives absolutely no points is mind boggling. I just spent 35 minutes defending Heyoka as a support class, and came out with 5 certs that came from rezes and healing, and about 5-10 kills. What a bunch of cr@p
    • Up x 4
  2. Smatchimo

How the **** do devs let this go on? They have a lot on their plate but guess what, if they kept **** the way it was in beta I wouldnt even be on here ******** right now. They took out defense points FOR NO REASON.
  3. Maruun

The funny thing in the beta you got EXP for succsfully defend a base.

Unfortunate they removed it and give you a prozentual EXP in everything you do in your own territory.

It was in the beta bad to defend a base, it just got worst.
  4. Freyar

I wondered why it was strange. I fought in Heyoka Tech as well, and managed to drive off a small contingent of NC once they started poking at security. We won, but no actual certs/XP from the proper defense. I think they did this to prevent people from idling in hot spots.

Either way though, it is pretty annoying to not be getting anything for supporting your faction. Admittedly, I remember complaints saying it was hard to encourage people to go out and fight because people were more at home defending anyway.
  5. laflavor

I think you get bonus XP for kills while defending.
  6. Dubstepcat

On this note, XP should be rewarded in all capturing/defending events based on time invested in capturing/defending. Earlier today in Esamir on Mattherson. Us NCs decided to siege Freyr amp station, I was in the battle from start to finish, the entire siege lasted about 5-6 hours. We had the place at almost a constant stalemate for an extended period of time. When we finally captured it, the scrubby ~1k xp rewarded did not feel like enough for the time invested in the battle.
  7. Freyar

All that does is push away from the "Supports get XP too!" claim they had.
  8. Babaganoush

You get 15%+ exp per whatever you do for defending. That includes repair, resupply and healing.

That's 15 extra exp for every kill.
    • Up x 1
  9. Freyar

Hmm.. Well. I'll have to take time to consider (and maybe test) that.
  10. Crator

Spitfires and assorted other automated defense mechanisms.
  11. Marinealver

There is another thread like this. Anyways I'll say the same thing here.

Remember this?
    [IMG]
    It used to be on the outside of these
    [IMG]
    and to get inside you needed this
    [IMG]

but forget all that, now we are stuck with this
    [IMG]
    instead of this
    [IMG]
    Not to mention that there were some AI, auto turrets like the spitfire were not that threatening by themselves. At most it slowed down ghosts as they sneak into bases. Even then the above base you see here also was one that gave the benifits of having auto wall turrets. They would automaticly shoot at vehicles and maxs but not infantry or vehicles with sensor shielding such as mosquiteos and harassers. If you want them to shoot at infantry they had to be manned and even then the AI was slow and easily kited in an auto wall turret.
    • Up x 5
  12. Smatchimo

Base defense needs to get looked at.

If they want to go that route, give us 2x exp straight up. THat or give us half the capture costs again.

will keep bumping this throughout the night till we get some dev or mod response
  13. Smatchimo

and feel free to link to other threads about this issue if there are larger ones going
  14. Crator

15. MasterIQ2

Yay we won the base!!!! PARTY.... *50 members of my faction move on* BUT GUYS WAIT I see the Zerg they come for our lucky charms....

Usually I sit in a hole picking off a kill or two and Just as my teams zerg did this zerg moves on. Then I sit there for what feels like forever solo retaking my lucky charms.

It just feels a lil off.
    • Up x 1
  16. VKhaun

I'm confused. I thought the bonus to defending a base, was that you got to defend a base. Tons of easy kills running into bottle necks or jumping up onto landing pads... a bunch of vehicles pouring into your courtyard and getting hit by a dozen rockets from your HA's...

I mean if you are losing horribly and you're trapped in your spawn room that's one thing. You probably SHOULD leave at that point and regroup to attack from more angles, but 'base defense' is where I make the most certs and have the most fun.
  17. Perk-i

I don't know... I picked up ~50 certs last night defending a Biolab. Over 100 kills in 45 minutes. Seems like the benefits of being a defender are already pretty good, but I guess it kind of sucks for the medics.
    • Up x 1
  18. Rektumsaft

Not at all :) We medics get the 15% exp bonus on our revives and heals as well as kills!

I think the problem just lies with people not really knowing about the 15% to all xp gain for defenders, as well as the fact that you've got tonnes of enemies approaching your bottlenecks, ripe for the slaughter. What's the ratio for attackers slain to defenders slain in the average assault? Think about it.
    However, personally speaking, I'm not claiming the numbers can't be tweaked, but I'm definately experiencing enough cert benefits from defending. Any step people want to take to make it more enjoyable of course I'm willing to listen and be open-minded, but so far I'm having a blast.
  19. Baleur

Yeah me too, you can just farm all the fools running into the bottlenecks. I did the same at an amp station on Amerish / Miller last night. It was amazing to behold, we fought over 1 single jumppad location house for 2 hours. People say the game is unbalanced, yet somehow both sides were at a complete deadlock, making no progress. Must be somewhat balanced...

Got a ton of certs too, bonus xp for everything, medics were doing their job, ammo was being dropped, fools being slain.
    But i agree there should still be a 500xp gain (1 cert, come on is that too much to ask?) for defending a base with the actual ticker going back to your side.

I understand the possible exploit if the enemy just quickly grabs the point for 1 minute then it flips back fast and gives the defenders 500xp, but isn't that the point? Should there not be a consequence for half-***** lone-wolf capture attempts? It would be like feeding the opposition by not commiting fully to the attack. Imo it would be a good thing.

And 1 cert extra for defending, ain't that big of a deal, but at least it feels like you get Something.

Rektumsaft, i wish we could see these stats. Kill ratio of attackers vs defenders one night in one base would be amazing to see.
    • Up x 1
  20. Neelkanth

Defense quality is at both ends of the extreme, Tech Plants and Biolabs with a high player count can be very defensible due to the indoor sections that allow doorway camping. This is the least tactically interesting defense and is just a cluster**** of spam, no defense XP bonus is necessary. Everywhere else, all the interesting and varied outposts that aren't just copy-pasta like the facilities, the zerg rolls through with barely any opposition. These territories desperately need more of a defense incentive.
    • Up x 2