New Hardware to increase FPS?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Phoenixia, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Phoenixia

I'm just looking for a bit of advice here. I'm currently getting 20FPS sat doing nothing and in battles I'm lucky to hit 10 most of the time - clearly not conducive to effective scum hunting. I've been told that the game uses both CPU and GPU to run and I've noticed that when I display the frame rate in the bottom left corner - first off: What exactly does this mean for running the game?

My current hardware is a Phenom II Black Edition X2 x 3.2ghz and my GPU is a GTX460 with 768mb RAM onboard.

So, if I upgrade the GPU first, will it be the only upgrade I would need to make PS2 run smoothly? I'd be looking at getting either a 2GB ATI 7850 or, at a push, a 2GB ATI 7870.

What do you guys think?
  2. Ayaxi

3. Power12

[System Specs]

MOTHERBOARD INFORMATION
    Manufacturer:ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    Model:MAXIMUS V GENE 1.XX
    Bios:1204

PROCESSOR INFORMATION
    Manufacturer:Intel
    Model:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (Not OverClocked)

System RAM
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8.2 GB (Not OverClocked)
    DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    Timing 9-9-9-24
    Cas Latency 9
    Voltage 1.5V

GRAPHICS INFORMATION
    Graphics Product:[1]NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (Not OverClocked)
    Video Memory:3.9 GB
    Driver Version:9.18.13.697 (No Beta)

Operating System (O/S)
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (64-bit) (Clean Install)

System Maintenance
    (Cleaned up every Week) Virus,Spyware and Mailware Free.

[End of system Specs]

[How Does Software program Run]

Program
    PlanetSide 2 PC Game

Runs
    Smooth No Prob

[End of Software program run]
  4. Phoenixia

5. Ayaxi

Try 750 - and set everything to Low quality :eek:? - In the beta- I remember it was possible to turn OFF shadows/motion BLUR by deleting two files- [While the Launcher is running] [Cause it re downloads every-time you close the game- and reopen the launcher.] [Small Files]

You may have to do a little research- [How to disable Shadows/motionblur
    40-FPS is pretty good in the warpgate

It's possible that the server you're on could be buggy- like the MILLER server~ I hear people only get around 8-18FPS on it.~

Each server is different one can have a way bigger performance increase for you- than the others. - Try a different East/West coast server! ^
  6. Ayaxi

You know what- set it to 350 - you can set it as low as you want- just to mess around- and try to give you the best possible performance increase!

Ingame make sure everythings on low- and since you only get 10FPS in battles, try reducing your Render-Quality to 75% - even though it will affect the way things look!

Only do this- to try to get things to work- id recommend bringing it down to 85% and leaving it- Keep trying! and update the post- to see if anything improved. =]!
  7. Ayaxi

Our systems are not to far from each other-
    AMD-FX 4100 [4-Cores] 3.6GHZ
    GTS 450
    8G-RAM

I get around 20-32 FPS large battles- and above 45+ FPS @NC Warp
    Mostly playable- and my FPS post here was before the fix- I posted above for you.-

Without a doubt-
    It's not your graphics card that needs upgraded!

Your CPU Phenom II Black Edition X2 x 3.2ghz was released - September 14, 2004 - Highly outdated 5+ years-

Id recommend the AMD FX-4170 4.2GHz Quad-Core the one I got was released in 2011 Oct.- Codenamed Bulldozer - This was just recently released- a new line of AMD Bulldozer 2012 Oct. - Codenamed Piledriver - It's a budget CPU but as you can see the specs are above the one I currently own.

I have reason to believe your Phenom II Black Edition X2 - Released September 14, 2004 is bottle-necking your GTX 460 - Released December 14, 2011.

Your GPU is far superior to your CPU- which could be causing performance problems.

---

Question 1) Do you really only have 768 RAM or is that the ram that comes with your GTX 460?- If not than you need at least 4-G of ram- to run the game properly without problems.

---

Nvidia Geforce have far superior GFX cards compared to any ATRI - you have a good card- even if its a year or so outdated.
    Your looking at a whole new computer

New [Budget] motherboard [$55]
    New [Budget] Processor [$120]
    New Ram: $40
    Your GFX Card is pretty good- no need for an upgrade.

Now this is just my budget recommendation- you can easily go for the AMD FX-6100 which is 6-Cores or even the FX-8100 which is 8-cores however it will cost more. =]
  8. Ayaxi

In your INI.Settings - here is a post I just found to make sure you did it right =]!

"In the .ini file, I noticed you have render distance at a negative value. Maybe it still works for you, but I found that changing render distance to a positive value helped greatly (it defaulted to -1, which made it try to render the entire cont I think; changed it to 1000 and it helped immensely)."

Make sure to get rid of the -
  9. Bucketnate

couldnt you just disable them in the ingame options?
  10. Ayaxi

Motion Blur = Maybe
    Shadows = No

You can turn shadows to low and it will increase performance a lot- but if you have a struggling card- and wish to load less- removing a certain Shadow.file removes the shadows completely from the game, that is until you restart the client. [Which it then re-downloads the small files in seconds]

Removing a certain MotionBlur.file and Distortion.file you would notice instantly at startup on the menu/server selection that your character is much more clear looking- and has no blur around him.- Removing Shadows from your game completely would definitely improve performance, because the graphics card does not have to work around the time loading shadows on low.

Motion Blur is more of a choice- I think the button may actually turn off motionblur now- but not on the startup/server character selection menu.
  11. DonnyD.

Your GPU is fine though not at recommended level the CPU is what needs an upgrade. Get an i5 if you can afford it and wait for the 8000 series AMD or 700 series nvidia cards.
  12. Phoenixia

I would have to upgrade my motherboard and RAM to do that though, which is what's putting me off doing it. A new GPU is going to benefit me more in my daily activities than a new CPU will. I *could* get a Phenom X4 but that really is as high as I can go without having to replace the lot.

I'm quite tied in terms of budget - a 7850 is high as I can go - I would not be able to afford an 8000 series or a 700 series card when they come out. I'm pushing it looking at a 2GB 7850. :/
  13. Phoenixia

Sorry, I went to bed on you!

Thank you for the extra infos! I honestly had no idea that my CPU was that old. I think I'm going to swap my priorities in light of this and hold off on getting a new GPU till after christmas. I eventually wanted to upgrade both, but it seems like a new CPU, motherboard and RAM are going to be more beneficial right now.

Oh no, that 768 is on the card. I've got 4gb DDR2 on my motherboard.

Hm. I like the look of the 4170. Can't help but wonder whether I should try and scrimp some extra £ for an i5 setup, though. If the AMD will be good for now and will have no issues running any of my games (TF2, BF3, Skyrim, Sims 3 etc etc on full graphics) then I can always look at a more expensive setup when I've got more cash to spare.
  14. DonnyD.

Unless you REALLY NEED multithread power (i.e. server type environment) I would seriously consider saving for the i5 and DDR3. The PCgamer rig is a good place to start to find good parts, with the benefit of them being tested on a bang for buck basis.
  15. kill

Get an Intel 2500k at least. Don't get an AMD. My computer is almost 2 years old and I run the game perfectly.
  16. Jac70

It's a CPU upgrade that's gonna make the difference for you. I would recommend an i5 and 8GB DDR3. As this game is very CPU intensive getting a faster GPU probably wouldn't make a noticeable difference. If you look at your CPU/GPU indicator when the FPS drops I'll bet it's saying CPU - this means at least one core of your CPU is at 100%.
  17. Phoenixia

I've settled on an i5-3470, a pretty decent motherboard, and 8gb ram. If this doesn't make my game better I am going to be beyond mad.

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions!

Wish me luck...
  18. Ayaxi

I wish you the best of luck-
    However I do agree with the above post-
    Intel 2500k has so many reviews- and lots of people use it-
    while the Intel 3470 - although newer (June 2012) - has very only a handful of reviews- compared to 150+ 5-star reviews.
    Just saying- other than that. It's a much better setup than an AMD-FX - Intel's i5 and above is simply faster, and destroys AMD-FX

Bulldozer (2011) 1st. Generation
    Piledriver (2012) 2nd. Generation
    Steamroller (2013) 3rd. Generation

Hopefully AMD-FX Processors will catch up to an I7 in 2013 - but one can only dream for now. =p
    be prepared to be blown out of your chair- cause your speed is going to be fast compared to the AMD Phenom x2 you have currently.
    GL ^!
  19. Phoenixia

According to all the benchmark tests there's next to nothing in it, the 3470 comes out ever-so-slightly better. I honestly don't think I'd notice any difference anyway. If it's going to run everything so much better - that's all I want from it! I'm going to ask when I go get the processor though which they would suggest for gaming. If they say the 2500k is the one to get then I'll end up with that one! :)

Thank you so much for your help, it's been invaluable! :D
  20. xHauntedtoasterx

the 2500k is more stable for overclocking over the ivy bridges.

I'm running an i5-2500k at 4.6GHZ no problems

both still great processors, and yes, you will see a MASSIVE performance increase