Why does the game only utilize 30-50% GPU?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jeffro421, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Jeffro421

As you can see in this video, I only get 20fps and my GPU is only using 30%. Every other game uses 99% GPU and I get 55+FPS. Maybe if the game used the other 70% of the GPU, I would see 50+FPS. This has me baffled, and anyone who says "upgrade your PC" needs to be taken out in the street and shot. Dont leave ignorant replies plz. GPU utilization is displayed in the top-left

Intel Q9550
    ASUS P5WDH Deluxe
    4GB DDR2800
    AMD HD5770
  2. darkChozo

Not too up-to-date with what hardware is what, but it looks like your GPU is way better than your CPU and RAM. PS2 is harder on the CPU than most games due to the scale, and a lot of people have been saying that 8G of RAM helps their framerate a lot. So, despite what you're saying, upgrade your PC might be the right answer.
  3. Sikab

simple. game is not even close to a finished product. us Beta testers told SOE this several times.

My 4870 GPU is only on 35% also...

Also curious why this game is so CPU heavy when there's only 3 literally useless settings in the game which relies on your CPU.
    • Up x 2
  4. Raquel

Because your CPU is crap. My GPU is usually 99% usage like in every game.
  5. Jeffro421

That doesn't explain why only 30% of the GPU is being used. 32GB of ram wont even do any good if the GPU still only uses 30%.
    • Up x 1
  6. darkChozo

It's because performance is mostly CPU-bound. You can't just offload things off to the GPU, whatever you're doing needs to be specifically designed to depend on the GPU's parallel processing. I'd check your CPU utilization and see if it's constantly topping out. RAM wouldn't help your GPU usage at all but would help your performance in general, at least from what I've heard (I've had 8GB from the start so I'm depending on hearsay here).
  7. Jeffro421

My CPU is only running 60%-70% on all 4 cores...no where near stressed
    • Up x 1
  8. Hurricane500

Yes I have less performance than I should in large fights - most games still only use 2 cores (Does PS2 use more than 2?)

The CPU is overused for PS2 but the graphics card is not. If it had been programmed a bit more efficiently...
  9. ZenTao

What? your GPU can only render the frames that the CPU gives it - hit alt-F in game and it will tell you whether you are CPU or GPU bound. And your CPU is crappy, so I can tell you now you are CPU bound.
  10. Xale

That is actually quite stressed, since the game has several workloads that demands very high performance on a single core.

A Q9550 cannot deliver that.

Below delivers about 50% CPU utilization, and 70-100% GPU utilization depending on the amount of players in the area. The more players, the lower the GPU utilization - as not even a 3570 can keep up with the per-thread workload the game demands in high-intensity situations.
  11. ReptilePete

PS2 models the real world, which is inherently parallel in its nature. Don't believe the devs when they tell you that it cant be effectively threaded. Its just poor design and excuses for a rushed product.
    • Up x 1
  12. Hurricane500

The more players, the lower the GPU utilization.

I think that is the problem right there

For me performance is affected by number of players in the area - not great with a game like this...

If players took tied up less CPU... hmm..
  13. TeknoBug

What GHz is that Q9550 running at? I'm going to my parent's next week for a while over Christmas and my old PC I dropped off there has a Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.8GHz with 4GB DDR2 800 and a 5770, although the spare monitor there is a 4:3 19" I think it'll only go up to 1280x1024. I wonder what kind of performance I'll get.
  14. Jeffro421

ummm...i did hit alt-f...cant you see it in the bottom left of the video? All it shows though is [CPU] in blue with no number next to it.
  15. Onigirin

havnt read to see if others suggested it:

Are you running full screen? or full screen windowed?

fullscreen windowed mode allows it to be rendered with you GPU's 2D clock(lower than the 3D clock, causing poorer performace)

if you havnt already, try switching to fullscreen if you are using fullscreen windowed which will allow it to utilize your 3D clock which has better performance and uses more of your GPU resources.

if you are already using fullscreen and not fullscreen windowed, disregard this post
  16. Jeffro421

Q9550 is 2.83 GHZ...i have it bumped up to a 3.0 GHZ
  17. Jeffro421

Straight Fullscreen...no windowed...and im on 1280x768
  18. Jeffro421

19. Generico

Your GPU is under utilized because your graphic settings are not that high. The GPU is only drawing polygons and processing shaders. It has nothing to do with tracking and updating the hundreds of dynamic objects that might be considered relevant by the game at any given time, every one of which is consuming memory bandwidth and CPU time.

Honestly, if you really want help you're gonna have to post screens of your game settings.
  20. ZenTao

That means that it is CPU bound. If it is GPU bound it changes to GPU.