GPU temperature is crazy!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Necrobyte, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Necrobyte

Hey, Whenever I play PS2 my graphics card temperature sky rockets!

Before I launch the game, my GPU sits at 35-40°C. When I launch, it shoots to about 75°C. After playing for a while, it was peaking at around 100°C. I had a look at my GPU and it looks like the ends of the heat-pipes have been stuffed up, melted, deformed. I decided to clean my computer of dust to allow better fan airflow, this did not help. Making my fans faster also didn't make a difference. As soon as I go in-game, the temperature shoots up. It doesn't gradually increase it just jumps to like 75°C, and it only increases from there. As soon as I minimize the game, the temperature instantly normalizes down to about 40°C. What the heck?

My PC specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs)
    RAM: 8192MB
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti PHANTOM (2048 MB)
  2. DonnyD.

The jump as soon as you launch is normal, to 75 is not normal. The heatpipe ends look like that because that is how they are sealed. Did you clean your GPU cooler of all dust? or just wipe off the fans? Download furmark or kombuster or any other GPU stress tester, run a benchmark NOT A BURN IN and see if it jumps to 75 like PS2. If it does most likely you TIM ( the paste between the GPU and cooler) has become dry and cracked and needs replacing. Personally I recommend Antec formula 7, I got a 6 degree C drop at load on my old 6870's just from changing the TIM.

EDIT: The 6870's I had came with arctic silver, not sure the number though.
  3. PirateCrayons

Set maximum FPS to 120 instead of 1000 which is default, fixed for me and allows me to still test what FPS I get in-game
  4. Necrobyte

I have run FurMark. Using the 1080 present the program said I only had GPU temperatures of around 50. But my other program 'GPU Temp' says it was around 100. Not sure.

PirateCrayons, how do you change the max FPS?
  5. DonnyD.

Hmmm.. Not sure I would trust those temps get HWinfo64 and check all of them again go with the closest 2 temps. Also do a burn in ( hit esc to end the test) and see where your temps end up after 30 seconds. 80c+ in 30 seconds or less is not good and either your overclock/voltage is to high or your cooler/TIM is going bad.

Setting the maxFPS lower might actually make things worse for you. If you have a failing cooler/TIM or bad OC this might lead to hardware failure because you will not see the small changes, like you are noticing now, that tell you something is wrong.

If that was my computer I would jerk the video card out put the cooler off it and go to town with a vacuum cleaner and a VERY soft brush getting all the dust out and replace the TIM.

Oh and maxfps is changed in the useroptions.ini file in the planetside 2 directory by changing the maximumFPS=250 to whatever.
  6. Necrobyte

After 30 seconds of FurMark, HWinfo64 said my temps were at 100. Starting to think it is just a problem with the TIM. I cleaned the GPU as much as I could (using vacuum cleaner and cloth) without removing the case thing. I'm thinking of cleaning it with compressed air (is this good/bad?) and replacing the TIM. When I get those supplies I shall start a full clean with the case off.
  7. Toxicmix1

what case you have? any good airflow? i suspect this is your problem
  8. Necrobyte

I have an 'Antec - Three Hundred'. 2 fans (top, back) and a hole thing without a fan on the side. Interior, two small fans on the GPU, another small fan for the CPU, and a fan for the power supply. Airflow is (imo) good, computer isn't shoved up against a wall or anything, there is nothing within 30-40cm surrounding the pc. I think this overheating problem is just the GPU's remaining dust and/or it's TIM. I will fix that up when I can.
  9. Mansen

Furmark uses the correct thermal chip so it should read temperatures as exactly the same as any other program.

No it isn't. 120 is the default. Sounds like someone's been tampering with their .ini's.
    @OP: If your idle temperature is almost 40C I would start worrying about airflow and dust in the case. Your card really should not run that hot on running just Aero on the desktop.
  10. Twiggy

Sounds like you may have a bad seating on your video card with the heat sink. Even if it's off just by a bit temperatures will spike like that. nVidia's cards from the 400 series on up tend to run a little on the hot side, even in idle. My 480 idles at about 40C and it's liquid cooled. Spiking up anywhere past 75C is definitely not normal. I would either send the card back or try reseating the heat sink yourself.
  11. RonnieBoy

You're not the only one, all throughout beta PS2 has hammered my GFX card, and the temps would sky rocket. I was hitting 95+ degree which would cause my video driver to crash and then my PC to the then fall over. I don't know why, and it's just PS2 as everything else I've tried runs at a more reasonable temperature.

Someone suggested installing MSI Afterburner and making my fan speed curve a little more aggressive. Which has helped a lot with my temperatures, back down to the mid 70's after extended use now.
    • Up x 1
  12. NinjaPirate

This is most likely a problem with the cooling you have set up, like someone mentioned above you should check the seating of whatever cooling system you have attached to the card first. How many case fans you have and how they are set up could also be the problem, Case fans are generally quite cheap and can make a big difference if they create proper air flow.

Personally my GTX570 idles at around 30-35c (29c on cold days :D) and never goes above 60-65c even after hours of PS2.
  13. General Epeen

Correct. The standard fan profiles tend to be a bit conservative. I would also recommend getting MSI afterburner or similar and setting a manual fan curve to hit maximum fan power at 75 degrees.
  14. direwind

80c is standard full load running temp for most modern GPU, they are fine upto about 95c(i wouldnt let it get to that) after which point they start to throttle, if they hit over 115c they shutdown.

When cleaning the gpu, remove the card, hold the fan(to stop if from moving) then use an air duster "ON at the rear of the card where the exhaust is located" blowing from the fan side just forces more dust into the cooling system, do this until the heatsync is clean then use a vacuum around the fan side, make sure not to spin the fan with the suction.

if your card still overheats, you may need to reapply thermal paste, i would recommend this to advanced system users only since there is risk when pulling off a cooling system.
  15. luddev

Hmm I'm thinking the maxFPS value in the .ini might change itself based either on your graphic card or the ingame settings, because one of above posters claim the default value is 120, another one of you says his value is 250 by default, and mine is 1000 like someone else aswell stated.

I cannot speak for the others but I for one haven't touched anything in the useroptions.ini file

Oh btw, the one that said 120, could it be you have vsync on and a 120hz monitor?
  16. DonnyD.

See now I wonder about this whole useroptions.ini thing. Mine is 250 with vsync @ 60hz.