Hawk Or Crow?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Kensharma, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Kensharma

Can the hawk hit both tanks and aircraft?
    Can the crow hit both tanks and aircraft?

Or are they both limited to only being able to lock on to one or the other?

I hear AA is underpowered for the launchers, so which do you recommend?
  2. Kayos

You can dumb fire either of them at anything but they will only lock on to what they are supposed to. I usually use the Hawk because it is easier to dumb fire and hit a tank then an ESF :)
  3. Bags

What Kayos said.
  4. Kensharma

But doesn't the hawk do less damage to both?
  5. Kayos

The Crow might do more damage to an esf but have you ever tried hitting one with it? With the Hawk you can take on either.
  6. Kensharma

Ah, I see where your coming from. Purchased hawk, thanks.
  7. RobotNinja

He chose...poorly.

You will score a lot more damage and a lot more kills with a Crow than a Hawk.
  8. Kayos

You won't be disappointed.
  9. Kayos

Rubish! You just have to learn to aim using dumb fire.
  10. RobotNinja

Things you can kill with a Crow: ESFs that are on fire and Libs/Gals with like one point of health left that are nearby and that are most likely to be shot down by MAX, AA or other air. Also, since the Crow is a lot more popular, squads of HAs all rolling with Hawks is going to be a rare sight.
  11. anaverageguy

I agree that you made the right choice in picking the AA launcher. During beta I found both AA and AV to do nearly the same if not the same damage to all targets, the only difference being lock-on capabilities.

With vehicles, there are a lot more obstacles everywhere for them to hide behind to avoid locks so it's easier to hit them with dumbfire anyway whereas aircraft might not be hit, but simply deterring them with a lock is beneficial.
    You also have to expose yourself during the locking process, which is often more lethal in the case of engaging tanks than ESF flying around.

Either launcher is better than stock though due to lack of drop and increased projectile velocity.. unless that has been changed.
  12. Zaik

For a short time, before everyone who hops in an ESF has flares, the Hawk will be okay.

Once everyone's got flares again the hawk will be useless garbage. The Crow will always be useful though.

It's a decision that makes itself.
  13. Kensharma

But I have no issues hitting a tank/other vehicles with or without a lock...the aircraft is a different story, never once have I hit one without a lock.

So I can still do damage to armor considering I am used to aiming with the default anyways.
    • Up x 2
  14. Kensharma

Also, a tank will get out of the way when being locked but not when be shot at normally, so the crow may actually not be that good.

GL dumbfiring a scythe.
    • Up x 1
  15. Marzipanzer

This!
    A tank can just move back and forth behind a rock to dodge rockets. An ESF needs to run away and quite possibly abandon the attack run. You don't even need ammo for your launcher to screw with an ESF. All you have to do is lock onto it and you'll distract the pilot, if not make him spaz and abort.
    It's also a fun way to make bad pilots waste their flares.
    • Up x 3
  16. Kensharma

I tried doing this but it wouldn't let me lock on without having ammo.
  17. Kensharma

What kind of fps do you get with the i7 and 6870?
  18. Marzipanzer

Really? I could have sworn you could... Oh well. Thanks for the correction.
  19. Scorponok

also the crow has a really crappy range for lockon..under 200meters maybe around 180meters tops..
  20. Kensharma

Oh really? Good to know, I think I made the right choice.