My alpha squad review

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tatum, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Tatum

I purchased the alpha package when it was first available. I saw all the things the aplha package offered and
    believed that once the release came I was already going to be settled. Several of my friends did the same but i'm annoyed at what they DIDNT mention, that there will be a login queue and the alpha packages gives you not even a month priority login (and that for the most loyal customers) Now time is the most important time to me and I eventho I was planning on playing casual, I always play ALOT the first weeks of a release, so I was forced to buy a month of sub to actually play the game without queue'ng for ages ( im on miller EU )

Second think I am irritated about is the came of the aplha packages. Isnt camo supposed to camouflage you???? Cause on my pc all camo suits are basically visual beacons with bright colors. This just has to change if I ever wanna use them.

TL;DR
    - no priority login for alpha squad ( not even taste ) + bad camo = sad Tatum

that is all
  2. GZA

1) Alpha Squad doesn't give you priority login, a subscription does.

2) Even if it did, priority login isn't working as intended - SOE have acknowledged this and are supposedly working on it.

3) Alpha squad is still a pretty good deal - you're getting $40 of SC, weapon unlocks, founder title and camo - bad camo is still camo. So basically you're paying exact value for SC, but are getting extras along with it.

4) In fact 'bad camo' is subjective, they weren't exactly going to sit in their marketing offices and be like "hmm, what camo would that Tatum like, lets ask him before we choose" And camo isn't supposed to completely camouflage you, if it did that would give you a clear advantage...and make this game pay2win considering that many cosmetics are exclusive to paying members.
    • Up x 1
  3. GZA

4. Tatum

1. Why are you stating what I was stating, I know this. This is about them not telling me that they were gonna use a queue system in first place, if I had know I wouldnt of bought it and I could spent that money on sub

2. didnt know that, but its still a queue, im intresting in how theyll change it tho

3. nice promo talk

4. camouflage is supposed to make it HARDER for ppl to spot you, not EASIER. I am not ranting on the actual design, its about the fact that I know have a skin that is brighter and more standing out that standard skin, I like to be as hidden as I can so I'll never use it in this current state.
  5. Mahakar

What is your problem? He is absoluty right there.
  6. Kristan

Doesn't work for me, takes away SC. People say to relogin but when I do SC is still the same.
  7. Tatum

yes he's right, you get what they told you were gonna get. Its still promotalk tho, it doesnt take away the fact that im not happy with parts of the package. (them not mentioning priority queues and the poor camo )
  8. Mansen

9. Ghoest

I agree the alpha squad camo is prety horrendous worse than the pictures they showed when they sold it.
  10. Tatum

My point is that I, from what I read on forums prelaunch, was under the impression that SOE was planning to make cash via the buyable weapons/skins/decal. Afaik they never mentioned there was going to be a priority queue. I bought the package thinking
    I might aswell buy it now and support the game earlier, but then it launches and you see that before you fully enjoy the game, you have to spend money again. If I had know the real plan was to make money with the queue I would of put all that money in a lenghty sub. I didnt expect priority login to be a part of the package as I didnt even knew priority login existed. I still do they they should of given atleast a month(and adapted the price to it) Now I feel like I spend money and am forced to get a sub to play without frustration. (not because of ingame stuff again, the login queue )
    Glad you agrea on the camo's atleast :)
  11. Mansen

Fair enough then - Like you said I don't recall reading anything about queue priorities but I haven't had issues with queues while I was a non premium member. Few minutes of waiting at most during prime time on Woodman (which was flooded on launch)
  12. caldrin

alpha squad was an amazing deal and you got everything the promised..

4000 station cash - i guess about £30s worth of station cash.
    Weapon unlocks
    Camo
    other in game items
    access to beta
    Alpha boost for xp

it never mentioned premium access..
    WE knew abotu premium access for a long time as there was a big post about it on the forums and we knew what we would get with premium access.

If you dont want to queue sub up for a month its cheap.. they cant help that the game is that popular there are big queues to get into the most popular servers.
  13. GZA

Its the first week of launch so the long queues are expected. They'll drop to normal levels in a few weeks or so. Usual MMO mechanics really.
  14. Tatum

sadly I and all my friends play on miller, which means 500+ players in the non member queue and atleast 10 min waiting, but its usually longer so didnt take me long to buy sub. Dont get me wrong, I liked the first PS and like this one too.
  15. Raquel

Alpha squad should give login priority over freeloaders and sub should give priority over both

how ******* hard is that ?
  16. GZA

Creates too much of a hierarchy system, not good PR for a game you're trying to depict as not pay2win.

Also as mentioned before, Alpha Squad is already very good value as it is, people are just getting greedy now.
  17. xTEExGOWx

you go to your classes and chose weapon you should have 2 weapons to chose from, if you did't have alpha squad you would only have 1 weapon in each class.
    -i think this is what you ment by it, just tryin to help out.
  18. MexelVanMexelen

I disagree with this. I bought AS and remember making peeved posts complaining that SOE did the "reveal" on subscriptions a few days AFTER AS was launched. AS to me is a piece of fluff created to allow PS1 vets and other beta players to scratch their "obligation itch" after playing beta for up to 3 months. I know that's why I bought it - sense of obligation and wanting to reward the Devs - rather than it being such wonderful value.

Yeah, I've subbed now, but not giving AS purchasers a 1 month sub strikes me as quite mean-spirited tbh.
  19. Daneel

You're joking, right? They mentioned login queues weeks ago, and members ability to get priority. Hell, the listed member ability to get a higher priority was posted at least 3 weeks ago in the forum. You really need to research a little more before coming here. There is no point in arguing over "should haves" for Alpha squad package bonuses, it wasn't a sub package, it was basically $40.00 station cash with a few promos. This was all listed on the forums for weeks before launch
  20. Ryloxx

Honestly how many people have thought through the statement "You get 40$ worth of station cash" before they say it. Station cash is not worth 10$ per 1000 sorry to say, but SOE's clever marketing has yet again blinded the masses.

The issue is that you can buy SC on certain days for 2:1 and even 3:1 of the "normal" price, which actually makes SC worth less overall. Imagine if one day a month something like Gold you could buy 3:1, do you think it would still be worth what it is now?

I don't think it's too much to ask for Alpha Squad to at least have 1 month of priority. Why would I spend another 15$ when I can't use the SC I already bought (proving that it actually isn't worth what people think it is) when I just gave them a $40 investment. To be honest there is no reason to sub if you already bought Alpha, unless you just do it for the priority queue. That is the problem.