Still not viable for colorblind players to join squads - really SOE?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ghoest, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Ghoest

There are many aspects that could be improved with a a color blind option.
    But one problem is actually game breaking.

We cant tell the red enemy triangles from the gren squad triangles.

Just give us a simple option where squad mates stay blue just like all other friendlies.
    We need this now.

PLEASE
    • Up x 7
  2. CubeRhino

Been wondering this for a while throughout beta! Can never tell the difference between squad members and enemies, drives me crazy.
  3. Ryloxx

Now everyone who kept pushing this topic aside as "it's still beta" can eat their words. Reasons like this are why games shouldn't be released early.

It really is a simple solution to a simple problem.
    • Up x 2
  4. KorJax

Lets be frank here though, the amount of players who have colorblindness is so miniscule that such features are almost always stuff that comes post-launch. The only game I've ever known that shipped out the box with a colorblind option was BF3, and that was a pretty massive release where 90% of their hud used red/green visual elements.

Here, this squad issue is the only real major issue for colorblind players (unlike in BF3 where everything would have been hard to see), and its not really nearly huge enough of a release to make it top priority or anything compared to the other issues the game had to deal with for beta.

That said still be loud and voice your concerns, because that way it'll actually get in sooner rather than later. But I don't know why you are suprised the game didn't ship with flawless colorblind support, when most games ever released don't have such support due to the minority of gamers that suffer from it.
  5. Endyo

My color blindness isn't particularly severe but I have a lot of issues with this game in particular, even more so than in Battlefield 3. The map, for instance, makes it impossible to tell the difference between VS and NC territories. I also lose track of the red enemy markers on green backgrounds (mostly an issue on Amerish). There are a lot of little things that could really use some color and shading variation that would help us out a lot.
    • Up x 1
  6. TheKolonel

Seriously??????????????
  7. bobby_m

Colour blindness is NOT rare at all. In these threads I always read numbers of 5+% of the male population. There are also different kinds of colour blindness, with red-green probably being the most common.
    There is a reason, why public buildings have ramps - to get people in wheel chairs in. It is only a small portion of the population, but THEY STILL MATTER!

It should REALLY be an option! I don't get, why this isn't included in the first thoughts about the colour scheme of the game. Doesn't SOE have some advisers on things?
    • Up x 2
  8. MilitiaMan

best way to solve this, if they shoot at you. They are bad.

It's hard to implement something that would help you, maybe have a Colorblind mode where it strips the color and has little indicators above their heads saying "Enemy". It's rather hard though because that could be exploited.
  9. longmachao

Yea, how dare SOE develop a game without thinking about the color blind first lol. This is a game own by a private company they don't need to do **** to accommodate you if they don't' want to. Be happy that they might even consider putting in an option for you.
  10. Fuse

I still can't tell the difference between NC/VS in chat or in the influence pie charts or on the map. Map colors are better than they were originally, but it's hard to tell them apart along the borders. The friend or foe icons seem better than they were a month or so ago, but it's hard for me to say since I could usually tell them apart in all but the brightest Indar sun. I haven't had a problem with them yet in live.

The world isn't black and white for most of us, certain colors or shades of colors are less vibrant and saturated (I guess those are the right words?) than they should be. This means we can see color, but certain colors can be hard to tell apart. It's actually relatively easy to accommodate.
  11. Endyo

Actually, SOE is a division of Sony Corporation which is a publicly traded company.

Also, it is in their best interest to make a minor change that does nothing to diminish the game for others, but does a significant amount to improve the game for 5% to 10% of the player base. That means happier players. Happier players means more money.

Edit: I think a good way to implement a solution is to have a slider that allows individuals to change enemy indicators and map territory colors (and whatever other things are bothering people).
  12. ImGladUmad

So TR are green to you?
  13. MatthiasK

This issue should be adressed immedately. (I'm not color blind myself)

But, for now:
    Try adjusting the colors (R,G,B values) of your monitor. Put Red and Green to some very different values (like 60 and 200), that should help somewhat (at least slightly different shades of gray). This way, you'll get VERY strange colors, but you'll be able to tell friendlies and enemies apart.

This can be done from the NVidia control panel and from the AMD/ATi Catalyst control center. Display(s)->Color Adjustment(s) or something similar (CCC doesn't work for me).
  14. Vachek

Yes, not like they had anything else to do besides work on something that effects maybe "5%" of its customers.
  15. Fuse

I appreciate the support, but again, not many of us are actually seeing in monochrome. That's not a very common form of color blindness. We suffer from color deficiencies, which is why it's not too hard to accommodate usually.
  16. MatthiasK

Vachek, you know that that's just batch adjusting of R/G/B values for textures right? And bearing in mind that they mustn't even be highest possible res, that could be made quite quickly as a patch.

It mustn't be 60/200. Even adjusting the R/G/B values only slightly away from normal (like +-20) should make red and green distinguishable.
  17. Gamebouncer

If they aren't going to do something about it, maybe let us turn on a Tag for our selves "Sorry I'm Colorblind"
    Think I'm upsetting a lot of my own people as I wail away on something or someone on my team. At least you get a nice "friendly fire icon" to stop shooting, but that dosen't help when you have a squad of friendlies let loose on you :)

Definately adds a new dimension to the game. lol!
  18. Gamebouncer

It's more like 8% and if we keep shooting at you and you are a friendly it affects you too so the percentage of how many people it "affects" goes up ;)
    • Up x 1
  19. Bags

I can't believe people are defending SOE leaving something like this out.
    • Up x 2
  20. Tullerion

i wish they would implement a color blind mode so bad.. it's beyond annoying having to take the second or 2 to tell if its friend or foe.. by that time you are already dead.