Sound bug

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Meurig, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Meurig

Devs,
    I run a Plantronics Gamescon 780 USB 7:1 headset on Windows 7 64 bit.

Occasionally during beta and now multiple times tonight on launch date (5 times and counting in 1 hour) i lose all, all game and PC sounds. This includes Mumble and all game sounds.

The only way to get it back is to disable and then re-enable my sound device in the playback devices portion of the sound control.

I know that as i have to re-enable the sound device you could see that as a PC issue and not a game issue however Planetside 2 is the only game that causes this behaviour. Am i the only person experiencing this or are there others with the same issue?
  2. Meurig

No one else seeing this?
  3. Snow

My mumble is working fine. Only the game is very laggy with the sound. Sometimes I can only hear 1 type of sound. So I am standing near a tank and I hear only tank rumble. If I shoot my gun and a reaver fly's over I only hear the reaver and not my gun.
  4. Meurig

This is still happening to me with my USB. Some serious googling leads me to wonder if the CPU load in PS2 is causing it.

As the sound on a USB headset is handled by the CPU could the load generated by the game cause the complete loss of sound I am experiencing?

If you google "USB headset cuts out" there are some people who seem to have the. Same issue, particularly under heavy load of certain games. Another thing they say is graphically heavy moments, such as let's of particle effects can also trigger the issue.

I'm still looking for a solution though :(
  5. Meurig

Additional information is I have tried an Asus Xonar DG with a separate headset and microphone and this worked perfectly.. However, my USB headset is still dropping out on PS2.

:(
  6. Meurig

Still happening.. This is starting to ruin my enjoyment of this game so can anyone shed any light on this?
  7. Krizzen

Here are some suggestions:

A) Update drivers for your headset (there could be performance enhancements and fixes for your specific issue)
    B) Update drivers for your motherboard (could increase USB performance)
    C) Check your BIOS for USB settings, and ensure it's set to Hi-speed and not Full-speed
    D) Try unplugging any other USB device besides your mouse and headset. I might be wrong, but I think if you have an old (or just slow) USB 1.1 device plugged in (a "Full-speed" device), then it reduces the speed of all other devices on the same USB hub to the slowest speed.
  8. draeath

Get a real headset :)

(USB headsets are their own soundcard...)
  9. Krizzen

I second this. I just bought a headset a few weeks ago, and I skipped over a better set that was cheaper (on ebay, it was just chance) in favor of the 3.5mm so I'm not restricted to using it on my computer only.
  10. Meurig

To draeath, thanks for the reply, however "buy a soundcard" is not the answer.. As per my previous post in this thread, the same happens on my Asus Xonar DG, just less frequently. However, for the record, the difference in quality between the Plantronics headset and the Xonar DG is negligible.. In fact, for gaming i think the Plantronics sounds better.