Ahhh, so this is another Pay to win?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by crus, Nov 21, 2012.

1. crus

Absolutely love the game. but with that aside, I spent 5 hours of my sick day getting only 60 certs... What the hell?
    High light of my gaming day was not all the victories I helped achieve as a team, not the epic 8-tank armor column I was a part of, but when a very long backdoor with a squad I was in got annihilated by some child in a Reaver who spent money on hellfire missles. Like what the hell is that? he was level 6 and this is like the first-and-a-half day now? I got jack **** to buy for my mosquito with 60 certs.

This is an outrage, cert rewards should be much higher!
    • Up x 3
  2. wolfva

Yep, this is pay 2 win. Unless you pay me 100 dollars a day, you will lose every single fight. I'll be expecting my money in small, unmarked bills please.
    • Up x 10
  3. Gavyne

You had fun yes? I know I did, until the server crashes. So if you had fun, then who gives a crap someone wanted to dump money into buying something to win? Their money supports this game so you can continue to have fun.

I know, I don't like station cash either but this is SOE and everybody that came in to play should've known sc is a big part of anything SOE does. Despite that, I still had fun. By the sound of it you did too.
    • Up x 1
  4. Cronoc

I am baffled by how often people throw "pay to win" around, and how misapplied it is.
    • Up x 13
  5. Patriarch

Alpha Squad Member got 4000 Cash, why not spent it? I got it too, but i didnt spent them yet, and i made 200 Certs in 2,5 h.

Maybe you choose the wrong battlefield/place ;)
    • Up x 3
  6. Leshrack

Some people seem to have a different idea of P2W than me.

For me P2W is something where money unlocks something that gives and edge and I wouldn't be able to unlock through normal gameplay.
    For some others it seems P2W is where a guy got an unlock faster than him because the guy dumped money into the game.

I don't see a problem, if you can't stand the fact that people get an unlock advantage by dumping money into the game come back in 2 months when all the rest have the unlocks aswell.
    • Up x 6
  7. ChaosEngine

Well if you can't enjoy the game without upgrading your mosquito, then you should quit right now because upgrades won't help you have fun.
    If you enjoy playing the game as it is, well then have fun and you'll be happy when you have enough to buy some upgrades !

Otherwise just pay for fake fun, I'll be happy for SOE because you'll pay and stop playing the game very soon when you realize you don't enjoy it apart from acquiring certs...

Seriously, either you play for free (and you should be grateful because SOE pays for you) or you buy some SC to get your so precious upgrades sooner (and help SOE provide a free game for those who don't want to pay). But if you don't pay, don't complain.
    • Up x 2
  8. SystemUpload

1000 cets for good weapons. Yes sir it is a pay 2 win game!
    • Up x 4
  9. Calaerin

Heck, I got the Hellfires too, didn't even fly a Reaver yet. Spent my SC from my Alpha Squad deal, so what? I didn't hear anyone complain in the last few weeks of beta when evryone had these unlocked.

Counter his advantage with a different strategy. The ability for you to do this means this isn't a pay-to-win scenario.
  10. VaanGov

Someone is angry cause he got killed.
    And because he didn't get a lot of certs for backdooring.

Though I agree there should be more economical focus on cosmetics. Rather than upgrades.
  11. Madchad

/facepalm

all weapons are situational and a side grade to standard ones which are available...

WHATEVER weapon you use you are going to trade something off to gain on something else. Lets also not forget the fact that ALL weapons can be unlcocked via ingame play with no cash used, it just takes you some time to unlock them and given the amount of players currently playing due to the game just being released now is the time to farm them certs up to unlock them.

Pay to win ? i think not.
    • Up x 1
  12. Koadster

How did I know all these newbies would be throwing the P2W line around... haha, Heres something im giving away for free!! a can of concrete... Harden the f*ck up kiddo!

You can earn those weapons just like everyone else. Those paying players are keeping the game ALIVE so that both you and him can enjoy the game. less QQ, more pew pew
    • Up x 1
  13. Deadeye[3.1]

This really is not P2W... I recall someone already posted, its Pay 2 unlock stuff faster or Pay 2 skip cert grind.
    Since it can all be achieved without paying a dime, its not P2W.

Before Wargaming.net updated their game, World of Tanks, to 0.8.0, they actually had P2W in it, in the form of special ammo (called gold ammo), that had better penetration values than normal ammo. Sometimes also better damage.
    It could only be bought with gold, wich had to be bought for RL money. So THAT is a P2W feature, since it made many tanks redicules overpowered for their level.
    Just a note thu, in patch 0.8.0., they made it possible to buy that type of ammo with ingame earned credits too.
  14. pluton

It's a p2ng game
    pay to not grind
    • Up x 3
  15. Ben Shabtai

/sigh..
    It IS p2w, know why? Because in this game the progression tree works that the more you play/earn cert points the stronger you are, period. (also bringing up the problem that in a month new players will get *%$#ed up by "veterans")
    Let me explain: If you have 10000000000 Cert points you will have all vehicles and classes maxed out actively and passively (better speed in flash, stronger armor in tanks, better healing aplicator, etc.), making you straight up STRONGER then other people, which I don't see as 'balanced' so to speak.
    Whilst in other F2P buying things in real money either takes something away and gives something, or strictly gives esthetic changes, thus balancing the micro-transaction proccess.
    See why people "whine" this is a p2w? Because I am NOT going over this again.
  16. caldrin

its not pay to win at all.. all the weapons ahve been balanced in different ways.. sure you can pay to unlock things faster but it does not mean your any better because you have an unlocked weapon..

Fitting hellfires onto the planes mean you loose your additional aferburner fuel so its harder for you to get away from things inlcuding the anti aircraft missles from heavys.. i shot down a ton of hellfire equipped fighters last night hehe :)
  17. Forgezson

I already quit... this isn't release. this is just open beta
  18. OminousZ

Actually, I disagree. I'm a part of the alpha squad and the only thing i got was some extra weapons, which are just as good as the default and some other stuff but I couldn't upgrade them because you can't buy certs. So, i just ended up buying some camo stuff and a rocket launcher, but that's it. We really don't have any advantage over another player. Now, if you can buy cert points, then I would understand but you have to play just as long to gain them. Furthermore, dude, it's took me an hour or so to get 50 cert points, I don't know why it took you so long. Start capturing bases, killing people, repairing, reviving, ammo, etc...
  19. Alex Tech

I've seen many pay to wins, and this game is not really one of them.

I enjoy how it was designed, Yea you can buy weapons but to actually upgrade the weapon to make it useful you can only do by playing the game. And the amount of certs you need to invest in items is extremly high so paying cash simply doesn't make you win, The skill behind the player or the time spent by the player made him win.
    • Up x 2
  20. Leshrack

You seemed to have missed my point by about 2 miles. None of this is exclusive to the ones that threw money at it. I will be able to unlock my favourite weapon, favourite attachments to that weapon, favourite vehicle upgrades, favourite equipment without paying a single penny. sure it will take me a bit longer than the ones that payed for it.

But what is the difference to a game that has the same progression but no micro transactions 2-3 months after launch and this one now?
    • Up x 2