3 wrong things with PlanetSide 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dwarden, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dwarden

There are several design decisions which IMHO decrease value and fun of PlanetSide 2 by more than just 'bit'
    note: i had nicer text posted just before Sony took the beta forum down but i don't have 1:1 backup, sorry

1. Enemies are thin air w/o collision boxes

(you can run via enemy soldier or group of soldiers because someone decided they ghosts and not objects from matter)

this is understandable for Your 'side' members due to corridor narrowness (to avoid being blocked in spawns or else)

yet it makes no sense for enemies, in fact let say You are walking with iron-sight into doors and enemy runs from behind corner via the same doors, he pass via Your body and can turn faster as non-Iron-Sight turn rate is faster than Your Iron-Sight turn rate (same goes for drop iron-sight and turn w/o it) to just kill You (which would never happen with collisions with enemy soldiers)

this design decision also kills any tactical fun of 'keeping enemy trapped inside object if You cover all doors/entrances etc' so the enemy must fight out instead of 'run via the guarding force' as they have no collision boxes

it's also technically doable as the game already has collision boxes on vehicles and MAX units ...

2. Visual targeting aid Spam

this is cancer to modern game, PlanetSide 2 has great day/night cycle with fantastic sky-box which allows like dozen completely different levels of colors and lights in game world, it has very nice shadows system, particle effects, weather and sound engine, it has muzzles on weapons and it's effect on surrounding surfaces (and muzzle brakes and silencers to hinder them).

Yet all this visual and audio greatness is completely wasted and removed by just spamming 'reveal key' over 'area where might someone be'

So all the time You know and see enemies You can't see or know they there, it's like the game saying You are dumb, slow, can't see, can't hear and thus we need SLAP into your face these 'aim there' information where enemy is ...

Why implement ANY reveal enemy system w/o actually needing to keep lock on target via iron sight / optics for at least 3 seconds (not less,only more!) ?

(... indicator of needed identify lock can be easily fulfilled by circular indicator similar to reload)

(If you want to add more unlocks, add new one called 'dedicated spotter' with 3 levels where the lock time to reveal takes 5 and 4 and then 3 seconds ... )

in past (not sure if still) this system also reveals enemies to your side nearby, imo it should be only to your squad and platoon (again if unlock-able then first squad next unlock for platoon)

3. hand grenade and launcher issues

grenades and rocket launcher projectile exit point on model seems to be on same height as lowered non-Iron-Sight weapon (try trow any grenade or fire rocket over fence with height of half of your body)

also this brings up question if the exit point of bullet projectile of Iron-Sight is different to non-Iron-Sight on the weapons

while i could go with more smaller problems in PlanetSide2, these 3 are what one could call as total immersion and fun killers (for me and most likely many others)

(yes the game can be played with them but it lose the charm way faster and it's more frustrating than it should)

i do hope at least one of the developers or designers will read this thread and give his opinion and insight on these issues ...

everyone feel free to comment this and offer either usable critic or solutions to the problem and thanks in advance for not derailing the thread by rant nonsense ...

p.s. why i wrote this now ? better voice my opinion now than never ...
    • Up x 2
  2. StonerMk2

Dude, wait until your actually in game to see if anything has been fixed before posting this crap. Seriously. It literally just released and no one knows what has been fixed.
    • Up x 1
  3. revetr

And it begins
    • Up x 3
  4. VampireCrono

i like the visual aids. it helps a lot of the noobs move towards the objectives as opposed to running around like a chicken with their head cut off. everything else i agree with
  5. Otleaz

4. The movement feels extremely clunky, but the game does not feature proper support for the clunkyness like Arma or Red Orchestra, making it feel completely lacking in fluidity in comparison and giving an unsatisfactory feeling to players.

5. The guns feel plain awful due to the baffling focus on spread rather than recoil. I feel like I am playing the slots every time I start shooting at an enemy.

He was talking about the spotting feature, not objective markers. It is probably the largest indicator of the fact that SOE simply copied everything BF3 did without even trying to understand why or if it worked.
  6. silenius

Guys you aren't even playing the game yet and you couldn't wait to be the first to rant. Please have some sense of perspective.
  7. Fuse

You said you already posted this before they took the forums down. That means the devs have seen it (not that ANY of your observations are new or unique). Stop complaining until you play the latest build and see what has been changed.
  8. Hodo

This is mostly true. If your firing at LONG range yeah the spread is bad, but depending on your weapon your spread isnt that bad. And it gets better with attachments.

I know I play either an Engineer or a Light Assault 90% of the time, and both of those use carbines. I found any shot over 100m is pretty much a roll of the dice, 75m or less its pretty much dead on.
  9. Otleaz

It took god 7 days to create the world, and you expect me to believe SOE pulled off something much more monumental(fixing this game) in under 4?
    • Up x 1
  10. Koadster

Already there are hate threads!!! hahaha, called it!
    • Up x 2
  11. premiumcontent

The only thing wrong is i'm not playing it yet!
  12. Fuse

No god.
  13. Otleaz

Most people would call it criticism. It is only called hate when the receiving end doesn't want to hear it.
  14. coffeman

Hell yes get rid of this crap. there are actualy spamming macros out there ffs !! loads of skill involved in that NOT!!!
  15. Andehh

To be fair to the OP, some of us have been playing the game for months now, and have a good idea as to what's working, what's not, and what's likely to still not be working post download!
  16. khai

I just hope they have taken out the auto recoil adjustments like they promised. Has anyone actually gotten in yet who can tell me if it is still in there?
  17. Doomlordbean

Lets be honest; we don't care what you think and all of these issues are old and have been beating to death.
  18. WestAZ

I have to agree.
  19. Tuco

#1) Need old cloaking AMS back

#2) Need tools for defense similar to the old CE. A couple OP landmines won't cut it.

#3) True sidegrades, not tame upgrades.
  20. Otleaz

They haven't been beaten long enough seeing as they are still around.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.