PlanetSide 2, Helldivers 2. Is a massive PVE mode possible in PlanetSide 2?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ZORN777, Mar 5, 2024.

1. ZORN777

I've been thinking about this idea for a long time, the release and explosive popularity of Helldivers 2 is proof that the idea can be good. But the question arises Is it possible to implement a PlanetSide 2 PVE mode with a large number of enemies? As an enemy, you can use NSO automatons that are out of control (well, this is for starters). I think this mode would really help the game to increase its popularity. How do I convey such ideas to developers? Do they read the forum?
    • Up x 1
  2. AuricStarSand

It's possible. Tho they don't have the funds for PVE, less they get sponsored or the new company wants to go that direction. As for mentioning Helldivers 2, the thread is gonna get locked, since they want to only highlight ps2. Since it's already underrated.

However I will say; Helldivers was inspired by PS2 for some things. The Orbital Strikes, The drop pods, the overall look of the infantry. I can see some people trying PS2 from Helldivers. So it's not always about competition. Also Helldivers is PVE only, so these 2 games offer different aspects.

Ye PS3 would be sweet if PS3 had a 3rd person mode and a 1st person mode. Switch to each view. I do think Helldivers 2 is a good way to show, how PS3 would be able to happen.

Then add to the fact that Dune 2 is showing. WH40k movie in the works. Very good time for ps3 talks.
    • Up x 2
  3. VV4LL3

Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that this will happen. Based on analysis of forum activity and community involvement, it's evident that the longevity of the game hinges on the engagement of its player base. However, the developers continue to struggle with communication and involvement with the official community channels.

Previously, the developers relied heavily on elitist input from Reddit, often implementing changes solely based on feedback from that platform without considering input from the wider community forums. This lack of inclusivity in decision-making has led to isolated game changes, such as the no-rez MAX adjustment, which alienated many players.

As a result of these unilateral decisions, players have become disenchanted and have begun to express their dissatisfaction by leaving the game. This sentiment is shared among many Planetside 2 players, who feel that the developers are developing in isolation, disregarding genuine player feedback.

This context is important to consider in light of your recommendation. While the feedback and suggestions here may be well-intentioned, they often reflect an attempt to mold Planetside 2 into another game, incorporating features and modes from successful titles. However, given the developers' historical reluctance to embrace genuine player feedback, these aspirations may be unrealistic.

It's essential to acknowledge that the developers' priorities may lie elsewhere, focusing more on short-term strategies to maintain the game's viability for potential resale. Recent events, such as the introduction of outfit wars as a marketing ploy for potential buyers, underscore this point.

While your recommendations are valuable, it's crucial to recognize the realities of the developers' approach to player feedback. Despite this, efforts to improve communication and engagement with the community are still worthwhile, as they may contribute to a more sustainable and enjoyable gaming experience in the long run.
  4. Signaldooo

I love this game more than any other and I think the developers are awesome. Papa Vanu bless them!
  5. AuricStarSand

I mean. Helldivers is never gonna have pvp. So the talks are gonna go like this. Hey I'm having fun playing PVE. Will this game ever have pvp? No. Ok. So what game like it has pvp? Oh Planetside 2. Ok I'll try PS2. & so far most PS2 players who play Helldivers 2, still play PS2.

TBH I wish studios worked together and did joint projects. previous SOE devs, Rogue games, working with Fatshark, working with Focus Entertainment.

As for PVE well their was the ghost ship. Wrel storm. AI turrets. flotilla turrets. repair drone? So def possible. AI turrets weren't good for new players to face. However Spitfire turret is swell.
  6. VV4LL3

Hell Divers 2 falls short of Planetside 2 in one aspect: large-scale vehicle combat (for now... developers are expanding vehciles dramatically over the next year). However, it excels in teamplay, fulfilling a long-standing desire for player-to-player interactions that Planetside 2 has struggled to satisfy. The disappointment with NSO in Planetside 2 stemmed from its failure to deliver on its promise of being a team-based faction as demonstrated in vehicles like the Chimera, Javelin, or Dervish--all failed to bring players together by an incomplete team interactive model. E.g. Pointless Chimera rumble seats and inferior secondary gun that other players just don't want to play. Or a flying pancake/ giant bullseye that dies within seconds in the air, inferior secondary guns... all of which give little to no incentive for another player to work together. Another example--Even the NSO MAX was a failure to deliver with massive amounts of uselessness in teamplay. The seraph shield takes friendly fire damage, does not last long, kills the MAX, easy to destroy, moves slow, and has splash damage that hurts the MAX and allies. The only thing certain is how it will get everyone inside killed and does not encourage usage with poor survivability. We come across these vehicles, most commonly solo piloted, and certainly solo destroyed a commonality. HD2 addresses this gap by encouraging and incentivizing capabilities that fosters direct player interaction to tackle challenging missions against formidable foes. Increased damage, weapon capabilities, etc...

Despite belonging to different genres, both games share a significant emphasis on teamwork and objective-based gameplay, meeting the same level of demand from players. Planetside 2 continues failing to deliver a richer team based-gameplay that one would expect in a massive team-based game, and players are growing weary of developers that fail to deliver a sound product that "should" meet that milestone, at a minimum.

With the abundance of player feedback, but lack of developer interaction from the community, there is a high likelihood the developers will continue to miss the mark and adapt to market demands on the genre to address very basic principles such as balance, scalability, skill-based gameplay, diverse and dynamic gameplay (vehicle, infantry, ...) emphasis on teamwork, map and battle design, a progression system, fairplay/ anti-cheat, and community engagement to say the least.