Looking for Chimera tips.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MaxDamage, Feb 27, 2024.

1. MaxDamage

Hi, does anyone have any advice/suggestions for playing Chimera tank.

Ideally asking for what is good for someone new/crap with them, and what is the better high skill ceiling build (if there is a different preference)

I find that lightnings tend to just drive under, lower than the turrets downward angle and mess me up without any further risk.

I like that there are different skillsets to playing the Dervish and Chimera.
    • Up x 1
  2. MaxDamage

Fair enough.
  3. T.A.94

Easy:

Ability: Firesuppresion
    Defensive: Stealth
    Performance: Rival combat chassis (reverse speed equals max forwad speed with this upgrade)

Weapons of your choise obviously, though I would recommend the Cyclops because it features the hardest hitting shells + faster reload than the Titan AP.
    It is capable of f.e. twoshoting a liberator.

The the Larion PPC is capable of onehitting ESFs (except Dervish thank god) regardless of range and features the highest non deployed velocity on a MBT main cannon.

As a secondary always take along the default HCG if you take along random gunners who shoot at anything in sight. So this way they are at least somewhat usefull.

The Siren is recommended, if you wanna play solo and get bothered by cheeky A2G esf, who get outside your main cannon angle.

The default main cannon and Satyr are very situational. Whereof I can say, onebursting any MBTs from behind with a full Satyr + CT3-XP salvo, is very satisfying. Sadly here you have to deal with the long realod of the Satyr and your gunner with the XPs delay.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ps2pIayer

maxed out all my chimera stuff while back on my other account and played nothing but chimera for awhile before i got completely bored of it.

i personally choose speed chassis over rival combat chasis, why ? because the chimera is designed as a long range tank, but weak in close encounters unless your running the 5 burst weapon and rival chasis WITH a player in your turret.

if your running solo, i just use speed chasis and the cyclops. the new weapon they gave it is aight, but you can do better with the cyclops once you get good with your aiming and tracking targets with it, it hurts, and a fast reload time on it helps it alot.

get good with your aiming at distance and learn the crosshair for it to utilize it to track your shots against targets at longe range.

setting yourself up at vantage points for long range engagements helps as well.

if your on a hill and using it as cover just stick your tanks turret head over the hill hiding majority of your body, stationing sideways helps with this and if you need to pull back speed chasiss helps escape with that.

that being said you will be prone to close encounters though so its just up to you to be aware of your surroundings and knowing when to pull out of an engagement and reset at another position.

fun times deleting magriders from a distance flanking them, but ive since moved on from chimera to the javelin long ago.
    • Up x 1
  5. VV4LL3

Dear Commanders and Colleagues,

While I appreciate the valuable insights shared earlier, it's crucial to acknowledge the persistent underperformance of the Chimera compared to other faction MBTs, coupled with its lack of distinct utility. In most scenarios, a Lightning would surpass a Chimera, given their affordability, smaller profile, enhanced survivability, and comparable firepower. Several factors contribute to the Chimera's significant weaknesses:

1. Limited Main Gun Angle: The Chimera suffers from significantly reduced angles of attack compared to its counterparts. This vulnerability is often exploited by adversaries, utilizing tactics such as maneuvering under the Chimera's firing arc, rendering it susceptible to solo attacks.
    2. Poor Center of Gravity: The Chimera's top-heavy design leads to instability issues, making it prone to tipping over even on minor obstacles. Such a design flaw defies basic principles of physics, posing a significant disadvantage in combat situations.
    3. Restricted Secondary Gun Arc: Unlike other MBTs with full 360-degree secondary gun coverage, the Chimera's secondary weapon is limited to a forward-facing cone. Combined with its top-heavy chassis, this limitation makes flanking the Chimera more feasible, diminishing its ability to defend itself effectively.
    4. Large Hitbox and Unwieldy Shape: The Chimera's bulky frame and irregular shape make it an easy target on the battlefield. Its protruding components such as wheel wells and antennas further expose it to enemy fire, complicating the task for even moderately skilled gunners.
    5. Limited Gameplay Versatility: Lightnings offer a more diverse range of weaponry, gameplay options, and utility compared to the Chimera, exacerbating its inferiority in various combat scenarios.

Considering the aforementioned challenges, I propose the following loadout recommendations:

A. For Operations with Repair Sunderers:
    Utility Slot: Smoke Screen to provide cover during intense engagements.
    Defensive Slot: Flanker Armor for added protection.
    Performance Slot: Rival Combat to enhance maneuverability.
    Main Cannon: Cyclops for optimal damage output.
    Secondary: HCG for reliable firepower in the absence of a dedicated gunner.

B. For Dispersed or Limited Repair Support:
    Utility Slot: Fire Suppression for self-preservation.
    Defensive Slot: Nanite Auto Repair for sustained survivability.
    Performance Slot: Rival Combat for enhanced agility.
    Main Cannon: CT-135 for versatility in solo engagements.
    Secondary: CT2-XP for close to mid-range combat scenarios.

C. Solo Operations (not recommended):
    Utility Slot: Fire Suppression for emergency situations.
    Defensive Slot: Stealth for evasion tactics or Nanite Auto Repair for remote engagements.
    Performance Slot: Rival for maneuverability or Racer for situational advantages.
    Main Cannon: Larion PPC for long-range engagements or Cyclops for balanced performance.
    Secondary: CT-135 for increased effectiveness in extended battles.
    These loadout suggestions aim to mitigate the Chimera's inherent weaknesses and optimize its performance in various combat scenarios. However, it's essential to exercise caution and adaptability, considering the Chimera's limitations on the battlefield.

Sincerely,

Your Battlefield Intelligence Shop
    • Up x 1
  6. MaxDamage

Thanks guys, really appreciate the experience and depth of information to consider in these replies.

After being spoiled by a Kingsnake Prowler this has been a learning curve, but I am really enjoying how you have to rethink situations with NSO. More than other vehicles, there is an emphasis on teamplay I think..

Two manning other tanks is devastating upgrade, but for Chimera it seems even more so..
    Arguably weaker than faction tanks solo, and *possibly* more powerful with a gunner in preferable conditions.

That's a trade off I can get behind.

My K/D with them is terrible currently, but I find it challenging fun.

Lightnings racing to get under you is a pain, especially when you can't turn on the spot, my way out is racer chassis, race towards them and risk a rear shot to blast theirs. I don't see another way out of it.

But like I said, my K/D with them is bad.

Satyr's damage output is beautiful, in the right situation, like a heavy Viper..

LOVE the secondary AA gun.

Also the 10th anniversary AP "Fafnir" cosmetic variant is beautiful, surprised they made the best looking one for the least played tank.
    It's all.. ribbed and shi..

Appreciated, all.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1