[Guide] DBG Sells Planetside 2 IP to Bay Tree Tower Ltd

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VV4LL3, Feb 20, 2024.

1. VV4LL3

Summary of Points:

• The "PlanetSide" franchise has been acquired for a sum of $5.9 million by Bay Tree Tower Limited, a company about which details are scarce.
    • There's a cloud of uncertainty over the direction and future developments of the "PlanetSide" series, including rumors and expectations of possible modifications or a forthcoming sequel.
    • Historically, the franchise has faced hurdles regarding its market success and the implementation of its unique gaming concept.

In its Q4 2023 financial statement, Enad Global 7 (EG7), the parent company of Daybreak, made a significant announcement, disclosing the sale of a 'non-core IP' for an impressive $5.9 million.

Adjustments could be forthcoming, affecting both the strategies for monetization and possibly veering away from the classic design principles of PlanetSide.

The purchase included only the copyright, not the company or its assets, leaving the future management of vital resources, such as server infrastructure, in a state of ambiguity.

It looks like the ‘noncore IP’ Daybreak sold for $5.9M is PlanetSide after all | Massively Overpowered (massivelyop.com)

Daybreak Games Reportedly Sold PlanetSide 2 To Bay Tree Tower For $5.9 Million - MMOs.com

Daybreak Game Company Reportedly Sells PlanetSide IP for $5.9 Million to Mysterious Buyer - Xfire
    • Up x 1
  2. melioa

i hope to god that they don't try to make it like Battle Front, or COD.
    • Up x 2
  3. VV4LL3

I think the more concerning part is that this has yet to be officially announced by the company or in the forums.
  4. Twin Suns

Bay Tree Tower Limited, is a shell company.

The new owner of Planetside’s IP copyrights wants to stay anonymous for now.

Something is afoot though….
    • Up x 1
  5. Twin Suns

Shell companies are a haven for tax fraud and other nefarious applications.

As long as these Cowards calling themselves Bay tree Tower Limited wanna hide in the shadows.

Then “Shady Tree” Tower Limited is what I see in the name. What you hiding Bay Tree? chicken poo? LOL

o7
    • Up x 1
  6. FLHuk

Well I for one think it's absolutely marvellous that PS3 could be coming to Android and IOS as a microtransaction rich, data trawling app.
    • Up x 2
  7. VV4LL3

There's a reason why the Developers worked so hard to get outfit wars out the gate this year -- to demo it as an eSport event. That's where the real money is. Entertainment. Bay Tree Tower Ltd is listed as an entertainment company. The plot thickens.
  8. Twin Suns

You’re dark humor is the best.

o7. From a Texan that lived in England till I was 13. Texan and English mix.
    • Up x 2
  9. FLHuk

Thank you for your praise and recognition of the underrated British martial art.
    • Up x 1
  10. gav3427

Is it just me, or did the Sanctuary music change recently? Any other MSFS2020 players recognize the music? ..could be a hint. If I'm wrong about the music change then it's nothing.
    • Up x 1
  11. VV4LL3

Good ear, maybe? hard to tell, I keep the music off , but wow... you passed a perception check, nat 20.
  12. karlooo

What's MSFS?
    Microsoft Flight Simulator?

You are saying the devs are planning to use a flight simulator engine for Planetside? Like War Thunder or Battleground Europe?
  13. gav3427

Yes, its Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Music sounds SO similar if not a match. I'm not saying anything but especially not that, lol. I was just drumming up a bit of "conspiracy" and drawing a possible parallel between a recent perceived music change and a recent sale to unknown party. Sheesh, I shoulda been a lawyer using words like that.
  14. gav3427

I can only hope a company can make the kind of push needed to make PS2 a real eSports contender. eSports is what survives the next 10 years. Pro players/venues and traditional sports are WAY bloated/oversized.. eSports talent and staff does not cost as much to 'maintain' and the venues do not take as much to run. eSports productions can be done by half the staff of traditional sports and achieve the same show quality.
  15. FLHuk

MLG ready, seems like I've heard that somewhere before.... I'm 53 with a family history of Dementia so please excuse me if this is a lucid dream. But didn't we have a time when there were actual gaming professional youtubers supporting each faction, etc etc etc.

Didn't Sony try and fail at the MLG pipe dream?

I may have the details wrong but then in the last ten mins I put the milk back into the fridge before putting some in my coffee....
  16. VV4LL3

Pros and cons: The emphasis on eSports notably deteriorated the Overwatch gaming experience. Blizzard's development team instituted significant changes aimed more at satisfying professional gamers rather than the wider player base. This shift led to a flood of negative reviews and critiques. Planetside 2 encountered a similar issue last year, with modifications to MAXes, CTC, etc., where input was primarily sought and taken into account from the Planetside REDDIT community.

Developers can be just as susceptible to current trends and cultural phenomena as anyone else. As highlighted in "Neglecting Player Feedback and User Experience," a critical oversight in game development is ignoring the player base. Failing to consider player feedback and user experience can severely impact a game's reception. Successful developers recognize the importance of player feedback in guiding a game's development, stressing the necessity of engaging with the audience, conducting playtests, and heeding community input. This approach not only pinpoints areas needing enhancement but also improves the chances of a game's favorable reception at launch.

Moreover, prioritizing user experience in every development decision is crucial. An intuitive interface, fluid gameplay, and a supportive community greatly contribute to retaining players.

Gaming Pitfalls: Common Missteps to Avoid in Game Development - ECBUILDER
    • Up x 1
  17. Twin Suns

Crazy movements in the market place right now. The industry is in fact contracting. EA’s layoffs (650) today is another example. It’s gonna get bleak financially for some companies. Bet

o7
  18. Twin Suns

Sony with 900 layoffs. LOL
    • Up x 1
  19. OpolE

Im annoyed we haven't heard anything official.
    • Up x 2
  20. VV4LL3

Your video at 21-24 seconds shows the Dervish going like 3x faster than it can actually fly... Was that sped up?