Nanite cost for vehicles pulled from construction terminals

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Toumal, Feb 14, 2024.

1. Toumal

I understand that you want to prevent people from chain-spamming vehicles from a construction base. But the question is... was that a problem that needed a solution? And is giving player-built terminals half the nanite cost of a hard terminal really a solution?

Planetside is and always has been a numbers game. Whoever has the bigger group holds the cards. Knowing that, if someone plonks down a base to be able to repeatedly pull vehicles, you know what we do to fix that? We destroy that base.

Why not fix actual construction problems, like make it so newbies can't place silos right on top of cortium nodes?

I don't know why but every new update keeps messing things up, and none of it is consistent. First cortium bombs are patched so they're super easy to place everywhere, instead of requiring a line of sight to the sky. Then, because they are now used all the time and there's no more way to build a base that hinders the use of cortium bombs, they're nerfed. Then replaced with a module that you slot in to construction items. Devs say they didn't want one player to be able to build a huge base in an instant - then they add a huge building that a single player can plonk down in seconds. You remove the antimaterial knife damage on construction items - but also remove automated defenses because they are "getting too many passive kills". Nevermind the fact that you really have to be extremely bad at the game to be killed by an AI turret or a painfield.

Everything gets grinded down to infantry combat. I'll tell you a little secret: Infantry combat in PS2 ain't the bee's knees. This game shines when there's a lot more you can do aside from shooting a space rifle. If you reduce PS2 to plain infantry combat, then there's no reason to play it because there's a lot of other games out there that do that a lot better.
    • Up x 3
  2. Ltuuut

I do agree with what's said here, except maybe the idea of the greater number. A well organized squad of fewer players can choke a huge offensive of a disorganized crowd.

To be honest, I created the account on this forum only to give you my thoughts on the evolution of the development of the game from a perspective of an average player, who did enjoy the game before all the most unpleasant updates.

Let's start at the beginning ! When I started the game several years ago, the game gave an impression of being a fast-paced tactical combat. You die, you respawn, or you are respawned. But it's quick ! Get up/respawn, get back into combat. Don't like the infantry ? Here's a tank ! Just don't stand in one place !

However, with time and updates it seemed that the game has become slower...much slower. You die, you wait. You are a new player ? You don't know what to do ? You die a lot ? Well... get gud, the game will not help you. Go, watch some youtube videos on how to get gud. It's youtube problem now, not ours. Yet, until then, you wait.

Let's introduce some new guns with interesting characteristics ! An anti-material knife for NC, that if activated, can damage tanks ? Yes, please ! Only 1000 certs ! Sure ! Here you go ! Oh, wait, we've decided to nerf the very reason players have bought it, and because the slow paced instakill weapon was too OP, according to some players. Fair enough. Then, how about returning my credits back, after the said nerf ? You work, you buy a car of your dreams because the characteristics that were advertised to you are appealing, and when you try it, you are thrilled, because it is AS ADVERTISED. Yet, sometime later, your dream car transforms into the one working on a steam engine, and you have no refunds for it. Doesn't seem fair to me.

It seems that anti-material still work on constructed facilities, but I've noticed that their firing range was reduced. That's a shame, since hitting a flying vehicle at a very long distance required skill.

However, addressing constructions, we have a whole new bunch of new buildings for you ! Cool, right ? But we will be removing everything that can make your base a standalone defense point. Nope, we don't want you to play by yourself. Go play with others ! It might seem like we are forcing you to communicate, but nah... we know you do want to, you just don't know it yet. Oh, and the cherry on top ? Walls don't have a one-sided shield module anymore, because we sure you do like intercourse with yourself, so here you go again. Oh, and a player took his time to build a base, and it seems like as strategic point, from where vehicles are being spawned, and it's a starting point for offense, or it's a crucial point for defense ? Let's reward the player by removing the credits he has from spawned vehicles, the very terminal he built. And if the said terminal was captured by enemy, and then returned by allies, let's make it belong not to the original builder, not to the player who captured it back... Noooo... That would make sense too much ! Let's make it belong... to no one ! Thus, when you need to spawn vehicles from the terminal at low cortium level, the terminal would suggest to the players some intercourse with themselves yet again. Same goes for when the builder of the terminal tries to remove it with the welding device, because after recapture, it's just a useless pile of garbage that takes some strategic space. Furthermore, let's place the module nodes right near the vehicle spawn terminals, so when a player tries to spawn a vehicle, he'd rather interact with the empty module node, thus spending some additional time trying to figure out why can't he spawn a vehicle. Awesome !

Repair vehicles from the inside ? Nope. Because the repair gun works only when your feet touch the ground. We, as devs, really need to break/brake that fast-paced combat, and because we have a new tank with 4 sits that can repair, so let's penalize everyone else because of that idea. Reviving maxes ? Not anymore ! Someone complained, so we remove it. Let's add some capture the flag into the game ! People asked for it so much ! Oh, and Oshur ? Yeah... Nice ! On that one, we went full EA and Ubisoft.

As mentioned in the previous comment, the infantry combat will now be predominant, now that cortium vehicles are needed nanites to spawn. At the very least, the mix of cortium and nanites could be interesting, if the spawned vehicles would have different stats, visuals, or simply be different from their pure nanites, or pure cortium counterparts. New vehicle models, with different stats and guns ? Hell, yeah ! Let's build a base and see what it has to offer ! But nah, the idea of a player having an intercourse with himself seems more interesting. So, let's tweak the code a bit here and there, then put it live, and call it an update.

You don't have time or resources for creating new models ? I'm sure some members of this community will be more than glad to help, like I've seen it work in some other games. Here's the goal, here's the reward, the best work for this or that model will receive a reward. The community likes it ? See it ingame in a couple of months. But maybe I miss something, and the reality is vastly different from how I imagine it.

In conclusion, forcing players to be cooperative with one another may be not such a great idea. I have to give a credit to devs for the innovative thoughts, and trying their best (I hope they are trying their best) to keep the game alive. But overall, the community seems to be steadily declining, and I suspect that the small, yet crucial tweaks to the gameplay that no one asked for, are one of the main reasons for it.
  3. Effect

******* yes. It wasn't just a2g spam that was problematic.

Making it so that losing your vehicle matters doesn't reduce PS2 to plain infantry combat, that's massive cope. People were maining vehicles before construction ever existed, and they'll continue to do so without having effectively free vehicles.
  4. AuricStarSand

Was chain spamming ESF's a problem? yes.
    Was chain spamming land vehicles a problem? not really.

The huge buildings withstand 24+ enemies for 6 min with fortress module.
    That's a long time for withstanding outside tanks.
    It's just that you need allies to help defend,

Cortium bombs are best as a extra tactical item that only damages infantry. Else does light damage to vehicle and does the usual damage to infantry. & does zero damage to construction. That's the best use of cort bomb. As a anti infantry 13 second timer bomb with a interesting effect. Even for Infil to have.

As for the bomb module, well nobody buys that. Besides a few guys.

Anti Material knife damage was bs. I hate people knifing my bunkers to smoldering flames.

Ye you have to be bad at the game. yet those who are new are bad, and do die to them. They aren't new player friendly enough. Some dude just quickly rebuilds the module if you take one out. The new update gave turrets better hp and regen, they stay alive x2 more.

People got like 10+ more walls and still qq about ai modules. 10+ more walls is better than ai modules overall for even the solo player. With walls that stay alive and regen better. Even if solo, the ai turret often got double teamed by 2 lightnings and died so fast to be useful.

I get why people want ai modules. For solo defense. Yet often times bases were never attacked because AI modules were somewhat detterant.

Half and Half nanites is a good solution.
  5. Ltuuut

Ye probably don't play this game enough, if you've never seen people planting a bomb modules.

Don't like anti-material knives ? Fine ! They were nerfed. My point was : " Where are my credits, Lebowski?". If one removes a feature from an item, and the item was bought because of that feature, I'd like to have a refund, since after the nerf, the said item is useless. Like they did with constructions, they removed the modules, and they gave back the credits to the players who owned them. IMHO, the same should apply to other items which are severely nerfed.

Nice ! Now turrets have twice as much health, yet they are not protecting me while I'm building the base... Awesome !

More walls ! Indeed, that compensates everything. Reminds me of some politician... So, I build those ten walls in a row to protect myself. Hopefully, people I play against are smart enough to understand that... it's better to do a Valkyrie drop, rather than trying to pierce through a barrage of new walls, and finish the base from the inside.

As for the base, it didn't really change. If the base is aside, AI modules or not, chances are no one will touch it. If the base is right on the way of a tank column going to the next point, chances are it will be leveled with the ground, since it's right on the way.

Nah, nanites + cortium is a bad solution. The game is slower now.
  6. nagibator

I'm ready to suffer if this decision brings more revenue to daybreak
  7. Ps2pIayer

this "fix" didnt fix anything. was on oshur two days ago and there were a million NC air to ground shydders flying all around on the VS front. and yes oshur was only continent open.

another failure to fix the real problem which is air to ground and instead just made somthing that didnt need a fix as it did messed up for everyone.
  8. karlooo

You guys will kill the game...
    These complaints are very artificial, some have made multiple accounts for this.

The problem is the devs don't play their own game (they do, but I don't want to theorize about previous devs decisions) and community is very dangerous to listen to. Planetside 2 needs proper game designers finally. And many changes do need to be reverted for the sake of the game, that is true. And you can piss off with your lost certs and yapping with your multiple accounts.
  9. AuricStarSand

? defend base while I build? I just hop in a AV turret or AI turret. Done. You have a rebirthing center to spawn again if you die. So it's not like before where they just knock out your spawn tube and that's it.

" Lots of people pull esfs still " well they'd pull even more with the free nanites and your opinion just proves the point, that nobody needs free esf's because theirs already so many esfs. Also killing a pro esf'er is tough and most people for Oshur won't AA.

The multiple accounts for this topic is getting dumb. Just ignore anyone who speaks of this. They are wrong, all probably some chinese esf player with 3 forum accounts.

Ye people uninstalling your modules to flail you is lame, tho you do get some defenders sometimes. The inside of the OS building and 2nd floor need lights to see stalker Infils. Keep getting blackhanded trying to fix uninstalled modules. Tho fighting off 3 infantry enemies isn't tough solo, since your spawn is nearer than theirs. IF the os building had better infil spotting lights that is.