Mercenary VS Fortuna opinions?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Spykitty358, Jan 11, 2024.

1. Spykitty358

Okay so it goes without saying that the AF-19 Mercenary Carbine is the weapon I've used the most. Despite my favourite gun being the Gauss Prime (Because LA is my favourite class while AR Engineer is my most played)

Anyways I love the Mercenary and i tend to play just stock HVA and Laser sight, no barrel or sight's. And I've had the Fortuna for awhile now but a few major things have always bothered me about the Fortuna. One is that despite the removal of built in soft point ammo, it still has the negative stat of Soft point ammo's reduced muzzle velocity of 500m/s to 450m/s But HVA makes it 495m/s and doesn't even touch the original 500m/s of the Mercenary. Sure i get it's because it supports a built in laser sight and you might think that since it's a carbine you shouldn't really worry about range and that may be true, but i do tend to like fighting range enemies and NC carbines are usually pretty good at that. And the other thing is the attachments. I only really run stock because i don't want the compensator to reduce my hip fire cone and i also don't want short barrel to increase my vertical recoil and i honestly don't see what Heavy Barrel even does. And sure i know most people get the Fortuna for the under barrel shotgun but i mostly like using extended magazine or forward grip which at the end of the day feels like if your going for a range focused build you're at a disadvantage because of the low velocity.

Which brings me back to my question of Mercenary or Fortuna, is the Mercenary overall better then the Fortuna when used stock (+ laser) because it can tackle more range then the Fortuna with the increased velocity. Because a part of me feels like because i grinded for the Fortuna, and that i should use it. But a part of me feels like i can do much better with just the stock Mercenary. Because to me i feel like having a built in laser sight at the cost of less muzzle velocity is not a really good trade off. Especially if i don't intend to use the under barrel shotgun.

Because at least with the Gauss Prime, it's a straight upgrade to the NC1 Gauss Rifle. And now i have no reason to actually use the original Gauss Rifle since the Gauss Prime is superior in every way. (Which kind of sucks because i love the Apex Gauss Rifle and think it looks cool. but i know it's inferior to the Gauss Prime) And the Godsaw, i don't think i need to describe why that gun is unique. unlike the Fortuna in which it's superiority comes in the form of attachments i don't really run. Because i don't really use any of the attatchemnts that the Fortuna offers. And at this point i am giving myself less muzzle velocity for no reason other then "it's the shiny gun i unlocked so i am obligated to use it" now if the Auraxium grind were not so long i probably wouldn't care so much. But considering i spent so much time grinding for the weapon, a part of me feels like i have to use what i spent my time to earn.

But what are your opinions, is the Fortuna really worth using over the Mercenary if you don't use the attachments?
    • Up x 1
  2. Campagne

Is this the correct place for this thread?

I'm pretty disappointed with the Fortuna too. I don't like the underbarrel shotgun because it's so useless. Even sneaking up behind someone and shooting them point-blank with it doesn't always OHK. Better off just shooting them normally. I don't really want the laser either, since I generally prefer to not hipfire and a grip is far better for the ranges the Merc is good in.

If I wanted a more CQC-oriented Mercenary, I would have just gone for the Bandit. Why aurax five other carbines to get a slightly worst Merc for a purpose it's not really built for? Fixing the projectile velocity would be a big help at least.