[Suggestion] Alternative idea for the new Point Defense System cert: turn it into an automated intercept system

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by redgroupclan, Dec 21, 2023.

1. redgroupclan

I was thinking that the Point Defense System should be an auto-defense system that intercepts projectiles that have been in the air for a certain amount of time. Lightning from 500m away shoots a shell at a Sundy, and the Point Defenses take, say, 3 seconds to lock onto a projectile. The Lightnings shell will be in the air for 4 seconds, giving enough time to "lock on". So when the shell almost reaches the Sundy, a little laser is drawn from the Sundy and simply deletes the Lightnings shell.

This way, a Lightning has to risk getting close to a Sundy to destroy it. Sundies essentially have an iron dome that tanks must get inside, bringing them into counter distance with the infantry spawning on the Sundy.
    • Up x 1
  2. FLHuk

I was kind of hoping that the Sunderer would instantly start flying around the map, gunning everything that was trying to kill it.....
    • Up x 1
  3. Aris12

As if the CQC canyons of the middle of all the maps right now didn't force them to do so already.
    #I'm a Sundy driver who's ok dying to a Dalton/Shredder Liberator or c4 LA but I just can't stand those tanks.

Instead of addressing the nuisance that LAs are (with their infuriating Icarus jets, Ambusher jets, Punisher Impulse UBG, and impulse frags) we planetmen like to pin the blame on the tanks. While LA's go brrrt! and Liberators just no-skill hover above your AA's deadzone, we're just going to make the Sundy more AV.
    • Up x 1
  4. VV4LL3

I'm certain the developers are pulling away from anything automated to encourage more teamplay.
  5. Liewec123

It's a cool idea but I don't think it's possible to code projectiles shooting projectiles without sloppy stuff like creating invisible objects.
    (Before anyone mentions Phoenix, Phoenix is a weird exemption because it isn't counted as a projectile, but rather a vehicle.)

If I could change point defense i'd make it cause the turrets while unmanned, and running a direct fire weapon (not fury or bulldog) to have half the rate of fire but gain AI targeting similar to spitfire turrets.
    Give it a short range like 15m,and only have it active while the sundy is deployed,
    maybe the sundy could flash it's lights and beep whatever horn you are using too!

TLDR: Point Defense should turn an unmanned deployed sundy into a big short-range spitfire turret!