Please, have mercy, it is soon christmas

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fraecker, Dec 13, 2023.

1. Fraecker

and change the order of the open continents.

At best playtime Oshure is open and after that Hossin will open.
    Again and again day by day.
    Yesterday not even 700 players were online.
  2. Mithril Community Manager

We're aware of the general response to Oshur. Once we have an update to share we'll post about it on our website and social media. We validate your concerns about this continent.
    • Up x 1
  3. OpolE

I love Oshur but the fight has to be full pop locked and full bastion fights. Otherwise its a waste ground.
    • Up x 1
  4. aversi0n

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for my sarcastic comment. I still think that PlanetSide2 is THE unique game, it's just a bit sad, that most of your energy went into such a risky project named Oshur. Happy Holidays, and may you all have a good rest and recover your strength.
  5. Liewec123

just make it trigger an instant meltdown alert, how hard can it be?
    its murdered primetime for 2 years and you could fix it with a few lines of code.

you keep tinkering with the map, wasting resources on it and none of that will fix it,
    no map changes are going to make people play oshur.
    so instead of wasting even more resources on it just change a few lines of code and make it lock after 1h 30m.
    • Up x 2
  6. Effect

Just a suggestion to pass along. While it's certainly not the only issue the continent has, the center of the continent needs a real center base that can facilitate a proper fight at the start of the continent. Something that isn't an open field that's spammed by vehicles, infils, and flails. Perhaps a large facility that exists on the surface of the water, perfect place and opportunity to incorporate improvements to the water aspect of the game.
    • Up x 2
  7. Amador

I am a player whom enjoys Oshur for the rare opportunity to utilize Corsair boats as we never really had official "Naval" vehicles in PS1. But... I do sympathize and recognize that despite my own outlook, there are certainly players whom do not like Oshur due to a number of factors.

(NOTE: Examples such as unbalanced/bad lattice connections, poor inner island ring/outer island ring combat flow, and how the underwater Diver Propulsion Device should've been integrated upon all infantry by default upon immediately entering the water.)

I wholly agree with your recommendation - Oshur should enter an immediate meltdown alert upon opening. Having an instant alert is one of the most reasonable short-term solutions to just move things along to keep players appeased until Oshur can be addressed properly.

I would advocate to have the center caldera of Oshur turned into a shallow lagoon that is reserved for infantry combat. Perhaps different than the "Sea Post/Flotilla" vision I believe you suggested.

Simply put a shallow lagoon there that doesn't require swimming. A "shallow flooded area", "bog" or "wetlands" that has various flora, rocks and even coral present. Where infantry can trudge through knee-high water at most and have it act like an arena of sorts. Where the Mirror Bay Tower has been elevated slightly above the waterlevel.

All merely food for thought and a plausibly reasonable proposal so that combat is better centralized.
    • Up x 2
  8. Liewec123

that was my thinking, personally me and many other would rather it just get deleted,
    and whatever device the data was stored on be smashed to bits, burnt,
    encased in concrete and dropped down the mariana trench.

but there are a few folks like you who for whatever reason do play it, so the best solution is an immediate alert,
    so the few can still play it, but it won't completely cancel primetime for everyone else.
    • Up x 1
  9. Amador

I can't say I harbor such malice towards Oshur. As I simply feel that more focus and effort was put into the implementation of water physics than the flow of combat. But I do have another suggestion that would probably alleviate some additional stress from Oshur that would plausibly be "easy"...

I propose that Oshur's lattice system should be entirely removed and reverted back to the PlanetSide 2 hexagon territory system that Sony orginally introduced. The system was very simple - if a hexagon territory touched upon another territory, then that territory is fair game for capture. No more linear lattice lines. If it connects it's capturable.

I emphasize that the hexagon territory capture system should only be applied to Oshur. Nothing else.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Additional Thoughts:

I think the critical flaw with Oshur's development is that they tried to put a lattice system upon a continent that couldn't truly sustain typical "front line combat" as depicted in other continents. This is because Oshur is a maritime environment with low beaches and high cliffs.

Everything about Oshur (which was based on the original PS1 "Extinction" map) should've been viewed as a "Marine Expeditionary" continent. Where boat units and air cavalry should've been glorified, rather than facilitating the typical armor zerg tactics on ordinary continents.

... As I dwell upon this topic, perhaps MBT's and Lightnings should be removed from Oshur entirely to force this? Perhaps even Liberators? This would return Oshur back to its original roots as a more "infantry only" continent, with light vehicles only. I wonder...
  10. lesliehekenas

I'm sorry, but it doesn't seem to be the case... Another set of tweaks on CTF and else for Esamir is upcoming. Esamir was fine from the beginning, the best continent. Now it's warpgate-shattered, with biolabs impossible to get around, near impossible-to capture facilities, and alike. A little wamp-up doesn't hurt on the buildings overall, but shouldn't be the crappy continents be prioritized first ?

The volumetric fog rendered in at Medium or above quality settings is really bad on Hossin. The proper tech term would be "****" , but of course can't use that particular word, for it's not nice. Most of the buildings are unsophisticated, either too large or too small. Aside the poor visibility conditions and the difficulty to move around with vehicles. No wonder it was unpopular from day 0, but at least back then more than one continent was open, and all the time. Unless one really really wants to play, usually will log out or switch servers instantly, as Hossin opens.

Oshur isn't as bad as Hossin, in my opinion. Though, way too much distance to cover when do infantry only, some islands need construction items first to be usable ( buildings on those, if any, are ****). The overall difficulty of moving around, and the high zerg that forms up always in the center, well, makes you to log out or switch servers an about half an hour of playtime.

Not to mention of course the other long standing issues, that you people seem to be ignoring methodically. Hit detection is really garbage, there are periods during the day when can't hit jack with infantry weapons, get mostly assist points, if any. While it wasn't great from start either, the mergers and the tinkering that followed did really trash it. I mean come on, a unit facing completely the other direction hits you, or getting hit behind cover, etc that's garbage, unplayable. And the issue isn't my rig for sure, the new one has 16 cores running at 5.7 GHZ+ and i still get the CPU limitation for fcks sake. Pings reasonable, 40-50 ms.
    • Up x 1
  11. 36thelement

Please just remove Oshur and revert Esamir to before the shattered warpgate thing. So many good bases removed/ruined by that all for a limited time event.
    We need resource revamp, CAI reverting, and a better continent capture meta.
    • Up x 1
  12. Ps2 player

Boats are actually OP when used in groups in oshurs current state, Emerald Outfit "Yeeb" Abuses The Boats on Oshur by going out of render distance and killing everyone and their construction bases.(they brag about this in their platoons) the only way to kill the boats on oshur is to get a group of people, a large one at best to delete them.

you cannot kill them effectively with tanks as they have healing modules and you have to have a good aim to even hit them. ESF players cant get to them without being shot with anti air.

More land should be added to oshur so boats cannot simply abuse from the water.
    • Up x 1
  13. FLHuk

All your posts are invalid cuz new sundy!

I look forwards to seeing if the sundy can still be arax'd afterwards!
  14. MonnyMoony

The only fights I find interesting on Oshur are the underwater ones. The rest of the map is lame.

It's a pity Oshur took so much resources that could have been spent improving other areas of the game. I mean, they nuked Esamir and implemented some interesting gameplay mechanics (such as salvaging enemy vehicles), but this only lasted for the durations of the shattered warpgate campaign, then the whole shattered warpgate area become a ghost town.

Why didn't they keep this mechanic and perhaps implement it on other maps - rather than working on a continent few people seem to like.

There is so much in this game that needs improvement - from base layout, crappy physics and exploits, lackluster weapon's (we still don't have an alternative AA option for Maxes - over 10 years into the game).
  15. LetMeBeClear

Oshur is an excellent cont. Love all the work the devs put in. Wish it stayed open nearly all day instead of Hossin, especially on Connery.
  16. iNupidstoob

Please just disable Oshur till you rework it.
  17. Liewec123

oh it used to be...

back when the servers had the population for 2 open maps Oshur would just sit there in the background hour after hour
    while the decent/acceptable maps cycled through because noone wanted to play it.

unfortunately now we no longer have the pop for 2 open maps, so there is no avoiding oshur if it is active,
    an open oshur means a dead server because given the choice between playing on oshur or logging off most of us pick the later.

it needs an automatic alert to trigger, not tomorrow, not next week, it needs to happen NOW.
    CTF has been awful for the game, destroying some of the best bases and turning them into derelict graveyards,
    but atleast we can avoid CTF abominations, there is no avoiding Oshur and it is obliterating the playerbase,
    it shouldn't have been allowed to murder this many primetimes, the fix is very simple,
    please Mithril, tell the devs to save the game from Oshur, we need immediate lockdown alerts.
    • Up x 1
  18. math368

the solution was to make underground bases everywhere on oshur for people who want to
    play infantry to be able to play infantry.