[Guide] My take on OW 2023/2024

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AntDX316, Oct 26, 2023.

1. AntDX316

In response to:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/s/UIagZgIZmK

It's for the Outfit Communities. For everyone else, just keep playing Planetside 2 as usual. [ISV] VSA will most likely skip OW because we aren't structured like the others that deserve the opportunity to flex in OW.

I think there should be a server where all Outfits from every server can join with all unlocks so we can see true practices than people showing up with limited unlocks from having their XP spread across multiple Characters.
    • Up x 1
  2. AuricStarSand

I mean if that's all they have to show right now is OW. Then I guess go and run the event. If some vets want.

Still Outfit Wars last year was such a landslide victory. I'm pretty sure only 2 out of 20. Maybe 4 out of 40 outfits had a good time.
    I joined a outfit just to help them & we got steamrolled so fast, everyone was demoralized. That's why I'm not really a fan of this format of Recurrsion ect. " Vet Stacking outfits "

TBH Vet Stacking sucks just for regular alerts, that's why VS wins for both servers. VS always has 10, 20, 30, 40 more vets than the other 2 empires. That and ghost zerg capping for outfit resources, is the reason I'm not really a fan of outfits over pubs. Also the fact that outfits make it so you have less people to invite to pubs squads.

So really I just think outfits suck overall unless this game had 20,000 more people for pop & even then I'd still favor evolved pub squad ui pages, with pub leadership map rewards. Over zerg outfits who ghostcap just to stock a pocket os.

Outfit Wars also makes it so the alerts after OW get landslided even more. Since everyone just got done with their elite mode event. Now they play the alert elite mode after OW's. So whoever has the faction with the best OW outfit wins the following alerts.

It seems the best reason for outfits to exist are CLASH CRASHES. Yet you don't need a outfit to make a class crash UI page to organize clash crashes by pub squad themed page tags. " Harassers only event squad " " Infils only event squad " & other UI examples more the merrier to make class crashes happen more often, without needing a outfit to organize them.

Other than that, what do you need outfits for? nothing. Maybe just give pub squad leaders a button to make their squad auto redeploy to a preffered region. Since pubs often have clueless noob medics & wa la, don't need outfits at all.

As for Factions, Outfit Wars, and competitive teams. Well their would have be a VET EQUALIZER for the usual alerts & for the OW's. Where anyone over BR 60 gets organized to the faction with the least Vets. SImilar to how freelance NSO are traded to the lowest pop faction. That means this game shoulda been a game that made everyone play all 3 alts from the get go. Then shuffles their battlescore or vet lvl #'s of all 3 of their alts, to figure who shuffles to what faction.

Then you have fair alerts with fair amount of vets. & you don't have landslides for alerts, nor landslides for OW's.

Is everything bad from OW's? The maps are kinda sweet & using elite teamwork is some pro lvl organization.
    Just that 40 vets landslide winning over 10 to 20 vets isn't all that. & last year did have more pop, still was nothing but 95% landslides.

Till then is making 2 outfits happy while demoralizing 20 outfits worth spending time for? Essentially outfits like recurssion or whoever won outfit wars last year shouldn't even exist. " Sign our waiver to join our elite outfits and stack as many vets as possible " Should def not exist for a game where recruiting members is so limited it's almost been impossible to do so for the past 3 years.

So yes for open world fps games. Pubs should be #1 highlighted feature, not outfits, less you have 20,000+ players.

P.s. As for redditors saying whither fixing some gun edits will maintain the vet #'s they have. I doubt fixing anything is gonna hype this game. New guns don't hype me more than new ability slots, new tool slots, new tactical item slots. Nor does reverting ctf hype me more than new Koltyr shattered warpgate jungle maps. So tbh no I don't believe they should spend any time on tweaks. Just a feature trailer. For something everyone wants new and vet. Which as I said isn't ctf where I don't even mind ctf, isn't new guns new players won't be able to use, so it's just medium sized jungle maps to try & new infantry slots to use.

P.s.s. As a redditor said. US west server merge, transfers, or gifted free toon of equal lvl to us East. Would be, should be, priority over OW's. However if that's still not possible, then sure OW's.
  3. AntDX316

The game doesn't have the luxury to have matches like that. If there were millions of players then of course it could be, the best team wins with millions of dollars up for grabs like Dota 2. If the game ever got that good it would look like a super battlefield tactical simulator that even the real-life Governments would use to train their forces so people having characters for other Outfits is alright.

[GOB] was indeed great as well as [OO]. We have to notify people in /command when they are 5:1 holding a base we sometimes that isn't even enough. If we stop them properly they end up fighting the other faction. [VKTZ] definitely wanted to win, did get, and got 3rd.

If people don't like OW then they don't have to participate. The people who do will participate. Some people watch, some people don't. It doesn't really harm the game other than the players that could be in the live server map aren't.
  4. Amador

Outfit Wars shouldn't exist, period. Ascension, Desolace, Extinction and Nexus are the original "Battle Islands" maps from PS1.

The purpose of these "Battle Islands" were originally meant to be themed towards "Infantry Only" or "Light Vehicles Only" gameplay. To PS1 Veterans like myself, it was a sandbox to just have fun without the heavier vehicles. Often, all three factions would flock to the opportunity to join the fray.

... You don't need "Outfit Only" separate servers. You just need Daybreak to step up to the plate, completely cancel Outfit Wars forevermore, and finally release these maps to the live servers like they should've done.

There's 3 factions. So open up 3 maps at a time. TR vs. VS /// VS vs. NC /// NC vs. TR. Perhaps in 36/36 or 48/48 configuration.

Release this as a content update so everyone in the PS2 Community can enjoy.
    • Up x 2
  5. AntDX316

OW are for the Outfits, not really for anyone else.
  6. VV4LL3

I think the contention is the developers said they're focusing on OW... which curtails to only a SMALL population of the game, leaving the rest of the patrons high-and-dry.

It demonstrates a HUGE lack of understanding of basic business principles. Curtailing to the few will make you lose the majority. In business this is called Balancing Niche Appeal, among other principles DBG has lost sight of.

1. Onboarding and Accessibility: Developers should focus on making the game accessible and enjoyable for newcomers. This includes providing tutorials, improving the new player experience, and ensuring that beginners can compete and have fun without being overwhelmed by the veteran player community.

2. Community Growth: Expanding the player base by appealing to new players contributes to the growth of the game's community. A larger and more diverse player community can lead to more dynamic gameplay and a richer social experience for everyone.

3. Balance with Veteran Players: While catering to new players, it's essential to maintain a balance so that the needs of veteran players are not disregarded. Finding ways to bridge the gap between newcomers and veterans can enhance the overall player experience.

4. Game Updates and Content: Regular game updates, content additions, and improvements should cater to both new and veteran players. New content can pique the interest of newcomers, while keeping the game engaging for long-time players.

5. Inclusivity: Striving for inclusivity means creating an environment where both new and veteran players feel welcome and valued. Encouraging collaboration between the two groups can foster a sense of community and shared enjoyment.

6. Long-Term Sustainability: Prioritizing the recruitment and retention of new players ensures the game's long-term sustainability. It helps maintain a healthy player base that can support the game financially and contribute to its ongoing development.
  7. Amador

Agreed. And that is precisely why Outfit Wars is the problem and a waste of effort.

Content Updates, Feedback Adjustments and Bug Fixes is what actually keeps this game alive and healthy for all players.
    • Up x 1
  8. AntDX316

It's making Outfits practice on the Live Server resulting in us having to try harder to win.
  9. AntDX316

Outfits practicing on the Live Server more than ever now, people need to use /command more often to inform the people as the priority shifts to near cut-off bases that become containment zones by Outfit Squad/Platoons that know what they are doing while most people don't.

If anything, the upcoming OW has done more good for the game as it isn't just whatever mode as people are trying together to win bases and the alert or at least just the bases more often. Holding Tab shows who is on the Leaderboard of the base and it shows sometimes 1-3 Outfit Tags.
  10. OneShadowWarrior

Unfortunately, OW was a complete waste of time and resources. They could have had new content or new maps eventhough Oshur is still unfinished, like many projects.

They cater to the small minority while losing the vast majority of players.
    • Up x 1
  11. AntDX316

Definitely all kinds of people play this game as there are significantly varying perspectives for every area of the game. I cannot see how everyone else could see it as I like to see everything from within and outside. It seems a lot of people don't do that too.