Isn't every game " dead " ? Why just point at PS2?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AuricStarSand, Oct 15, 2023.

1. AuricStarSand

I'm pretty sure every game is " dead " right now. Else at the stage where you'd title it dead.
    This is only a Ps2 thread. Simply by the fact that someone mentioned this subject when I was playing just now.
    They said, " Reddit told me this was a dead game ".

I said /yell what game isn't dead?

Thus making this thread.
    That's how 2023 is?

Baldurs Gate 3 is falling sometime, since it's mainly based off single player than multiplayer. Similar to Elden's Rings hype that fell.

These " dead games " Halo Infinite is more dead than ps2 ever will be.

Is Starfield super hyped? not really. I'm sure I'd find some gamers who never heard of Starfield. I haven't even seen official trailers. Just obscure gameplay somewhat hidden.

Diablo 4 is dying super fast. Lost 95% of it's players.

POE loses players every month till POE 2 happens.

Overwatch 2 died when launched.

Blue Protocol hyped died when they foundout it's grindy and may be p2w.

Lost Ark was P2W and is now a dead game as I told their forums with over 80k views for one thread. Asmongold even featured the mad at p2w thread I made. P2W loses pve players. Zero pvp rewards and skill unfairness loses pvp players.

New World is dead.

WoW Classic is dead from bots and not fixing the AV BG for alliance to win fairly verse the horde for pvp.
    WoW Classic hardcore is going to die as soon as people are tired of restarting heroes.
    WoW Retail: Always has people bashing it's last expansions.
    Blizzard isn't even blizzard they are activision sell outs.

Guild Wars 2 barely spoken about.

Final Fantasy Online was hyped for when Asmongold hyped the game. Yet hasn't been hyped since.

Tarkov barely gets viewers even when Mighty Mouse the pro mma fighters is playing.
    Same goes for Apex Legends when Max Holloway plays.

btw tarkov bores me to see the stream. mighty mouse is always in the inventory screen heh. and Apex seems kinda goofy tbh. Battle Royal & a Lobby game SMH. Both these guys should try PS2.

Black Desert dead

League of Legends didn't they just quit on their live tournament shows? Since they losing pop.

Valiant. Meh. Dunkey doesn't like that game either. It's just so so.
  2. AuricStarSand

US east still has planet queues. So must be talk from the low pop servers.
  3. Effect

Every single game you listed has more population active population that planetside does and none of them require the level of population to function that Planetside does. Several of your take's are just objectively wrong or a straight lie.
  4. AuricStarSand

Even if half the games listed have more pop. They still are all games that are losing pop every month.

The truth is still true. Every single game that's multiplayer right now. every single game. Is having a tough time maintaining pop.
    While yes ps2 depends on pop.

Tho if 2 out of 4 servers still have planet ques of up to 80/80 for weekends. Then it's only the other 2 low pop servers which are titling this game dead. Why the populated servers are mentioning it, is beyond me, not like you're able to play on 2 planets at the same time.

Listed 22 games that are losing pop every month, if not straight dead. Those are the main online pc games out. While they may have had more starting pop due to not being underrated from the get go, sure. Still no game is hyped right now, no online pc game is " alive " right now, all are losing pop, all aren't doing amazing jobs maintaining pop. So if PS2 is having similar issues, maybe not just blame Oshur only.

If every online game isn't maintaining pop easily or at all. Then maybe lets not throw around the word " dead " too often.
    If you look at all the succesful online pc games that anyone would suggest for a video list. All of them are old online pc games. None of them are new titles.

Idk what Rogue wants to do with PS2. Just that they aren't alone with figuring out how to keep their pc game trendy.

I'd suggest for them to make one more trendy trailer for ps2. Poll new & vets what they want for a roadmap. & if that doesn't work out then yes maybe move to other projects. Tho still give everyone one last hyped trailer that has a lil more appeal than Oshur and construction had.

Either way I'm not sure what other people are playing when they quit these games. What are 95% of the D4 players who quit playing? What are all the Overwatch 2 players playing after that failed. Maybe nothing.

At the end of the day. PS2 is a better game than D4 and Overwatch. Who have 1,000 more devs. funds.

At least their isn't some super hyped fps game overshadowing the market. Nor fantasy mmo. Theirs nothing. Dr.Disrepects latest videos were CS GO & Fortnite >.> smh.
  5. AuricStarSand

Where's all the Halo Infinite players at now when that game was buzzen? Theirs no reason those guys can't play PS2 as at least a side game. Obviously theirs unique aspects to Halo Infinite. Still tho.

Half of them left from only having helmet cosmetics to unlock. and no new maps. No progression.

PS2 has 2+ years of stuff to unlock per empire. Items not just fashion. Lvling system. & has more maps.
  6. Effect

It'll be years before any of the games you listed reaching Planetside 2 levels of population, and most of them will only have less population because a sequel launches.

Single players games can still be played single player, and none of the games you listed are not struggling as hard as you imply. Hell most of them are still sitting comfortably in the 5 digits. And again, not a single one of those games needs pop like planetside does to function. They would still work as intended with half the population of planetside.

You listed 22 games that are all doing better than planetside and none of which are even close to the level of dead planetside is, this isn't the win you think it is. Hype is irrelevant.

The only one overusing dead here is you. Most of the games you listed have perfectly healthy populations and will maintain higher population than planetside will ever have for years to come (especially given that you clearly did inadequate research on the actual population of ANY of those games)

RPG has failed in a way other game companies have not in regards to maintaining population. Again, all of the games you listed are doing better than planetside.

A new trailer isn't going to do ****, the proof of that is escalation where the devs were gifted by covid quarantine the biggest population boost in the games history and then promptly lost most of it because they didn't address any of the core underlying issues with the game.

Given that both diablo 4 and overwatch 2 are sitting comfortably over 100k players, planetside is clearly not better in terms of mass appeal.

Why are you listing popular streamers who are never going to play Planetside for more than a day?

The reason they don't play is because planetside is a deeply flawed game, Halo has issues but nothing on the level of planetside, hence why it has more than twice the active population of planetside (when you just look at PC, take consoles into account and it's close to ten times Planetsides population).

PS2 has a mountain of poorly designed mechanics that create boring and unfun gameplay. Trying to pretend that all the game needs to bounce back is a trendy trailer is peak denialism.
  7. AuricStarSand

Boring and unfun gameplay? Sure is more fun than every game listed here & I've played MMO's since before Ragnarok Online.

I think denialism is thinking fixing some niche vet biased stuff is gonna bring players back. Fixing zergs, ctf, flails, and all that junk isn't gonna " hype " the game. It's gonna bring back 10 vets bout it.

Maybe fixing redeploying to make it more entertaining may help some zerg stuff.
    A navigation arrow for live gameplay to teach new players how to play would help too.
    Yet with the funds I wouldn't suggest anything that won't hype.

I don't even know what these issues are. Vague statement. Reddit wants to talk about zergs, infils, flails, new player experience.

Some vets argue about a2g when I almost never die to a2g. I die to regular classes such as Medic, Engineer, LA, & HA more than I get killed by Infil snipers. & zergs I'm able to motivate my whole empire where I want them without even having to lead a outfit. Able to inspire them to split their zerg if need be. So that's my team's zerg solved. & the enemies zerg? Well if they overpop that's not gonna help the enemy win the alert so it's okay if they zerg.

Oshur is a issue, yet 95% of the time you're able to skip Oshur so it's really not a issue.
    CTF I am not bothered by at the least. I sometimes enjoy running the flag. It's boring to solo cap a flag base sure. Tho it's boring to solo cap either way. Sometimes I enjoy using Infil to chase after a flag runner. Sometimes I enjoy actually having a reason to jump off a tower airpad and shotgun the flag runner.

I would like Shrouded Skyway reverted bout it.
    Even if they revert Shrouded Skyway, the fights there never lasted long enough anyways.
    Then theirs Indar Ex, where people want that reverted. So they're able to tower farm the stairs. Yet their able to do that at any tower. smh. So why does that matter much. Then theirs Splitpeak Pass which never had good enough roads to travel to, so was ignored before.

Hackers? I've only ever seen 1 hacker per week. & his account gets deleted 30 min later. 1 hr later. Else the next day and he's gone.

Honestly I bet theirs still a ton of people who've never tried PS2. Out of all the Overwatch 2 players. Halo Infinite players, & D4 players who quit; I bet half of them have never tried PS2 if not more than half. So it's always been a marketing issue, yet when I wrote 4 hours about that for reddit. Those guys downvoted me and they upvoted some lame guy who just said the generic same response of " oh it's not marketing, it's the games issue of zergs, a2g, ect. "

Halo Infinite had less issues? Halo Infinite had only color scheme helmets to unlock, no new maps, no lvl system, small lobby maps, not as many items, and nothing to do. I'd take dealing with zergs, infils, a2g, flails and whatever else reddits say over limited features.

Same goes for Valiant. Once you tried every skill once 30 minutes later, Valiant is boring, you die too fast, every guns kill time is similar to a sniper rifle, and it's essentially Counterstrike.

Yes okay. Every game that's spent 10,000% more on marketing these past number of years, has more pop than ps2 (thee most underated game of all time). Sure. As to be expected since SOE failed.

All MMO's need pop. Guild Wars 2 use to have pop for world pvp. Some games have dungeon parties too.
    Theirs still no popular game out. D4 lost 95% of its pop the 1st few months, who knows how it'll do 10 years from now.

" Fixes " only benefit some vets. Not even all the vets agree on every " fix " or " issue ". I mean some guy just yelled " I'd play this game 24/7 if this game didn't have A2G ". Meanwhile I've died to A2G the least out of everything and I play Infantry a ton.

Fixes also aren't all that hyped. Hype does matter. The influx of players happen after Aresonal trailer. Oshur trailer. Construction trailer. Even if 2 out of 3 of those updates weren't brilliant enough to keep them.

Something like " Trailer: 2 new Koltyr sized jungle maps. and gave everyone more infantry slots " sure is more exciting than " hey we deleted ctf to the same old point capture & fixed some stuff "

Pop or no pop.
    What's the end game result?
    Go play Fortnite like Dr. Disrespect?
    Go play New World? Go play CS GO? Go play WoW retail?

I'd rather go outside then play those games. & ye Dr.Disrespect doesn't play PS2, not due to the gameplay, he's just following the money stream trends. Doesn't mean the money trends means they are good games. Fortnite is a stupid kids game. Counterstrike was fun when I was like 10 years old. I'd rather support this game than those games.

Go play Diablo 4? Also I did just play POE & I returned to PS2. At least PS2 doesn't lag my frames at endgame parties of 4 people. So apparently POE's engine is worst for fps.

If I played Halo Infinite what am I gonna progress too? Unlock a helmet skin that looks like all the others? Heck PS2 I don't even have a single Aurax's gun unlocked yet, still busy with just enjoying the gameplay. Yet played 2,000+ hours.

Pretty much about to return to nature festivals. Quit games for a few years & return with a VR headset someday.
  8. Somentine

Denial is believing that filling up your leaky bucket will stop it from leaking. Instead, patch it up so it stops leaking, or at least leaks less, and then pour more water in. A good chunk of the 'hype' will come from players coming back and not talking trash about the game for continually becoming a worse version of itself. The major issues are obvious to anyone who doesn't have their head in the sand: Oshur, CTF, Esamir, login issues, server issues, performance issues, hackers.

Your personal views on these issues is largely irrelevant; the data shows significantly less fights at CTF bases than other bases, and significantly less fights than before they were turned to CTF bases. The data also shows how Oshur kills the population any time it is the sole continent, and even negatively affects it when the main continent has queues. The overall feelings of these issues can be easily seen by how many negative threads and comments come up about them across all social media. Hell, when even Wrel admits that they are bad you know they have problems.

https://ps2.fisu.pw/population/
  9. Effect

Fixing bad game design wouldn't bring players back (Planetside isn't ever going to recover a significant amount of population), but it would help stem the bleeding. Again, "Hype" is irrelevant and does nothing if you don't address the game's flaws. Take more than 1 second to think about why "hype" from all of the biggest patches over the last 4 years did nothing to address the game's dwindling populations over the long term.

Per the devs, we know that plenty of people have made tried planetside, but they rarely log back in for a second session. This is not a marketing issue, we wouldn't have lost the population gained from escalation (which also had a ton of "hype" behind it) if it was.

Your personal feelings about various games are not relevant. It is an objective reality that planetside as designed is unappealing to most people, especially when compared with other games. You can cite completely made up statistics and streamers who aren't going to play planetside for anything more than a day all you like, that's not going to change reality.
  10. AuricStarSand

Some updates do have things players enjoy. Shattered Warpgate jungles. Aresonal Items. Bastions. Collosus. Steele Rain. New Sunderer guns. " hype " features at the time.

What flaws?

Been a marketing Issue due to SOE barely having enough trailers and streamers. The graphics with Phyx and the action are better than any FPS of 2023 & PS2 happened 2012. Sure the pop isn't the same these days. Just that the game from 2012 should have never lost pop if its action and graphics were 15 years head of their time.

Physx Lashers hitting Indar during a sunset with sand. For 2012. Looks better than most 2023 fps's. With more players per map 2012 too. Even with 2012's GPU's. With less funds. If it's a marketing issue then for SOE. How is it not always after?

Other games don't have these issues because their fps games don't even have the map size to have zergs.They don't have the cloaking type to have Infils. They don't have base building. Half don't have aircraft and vehicles. They don't have open world ctf and king of the hill. All PS2's " issues " have no other game to compare them to.

Most mmo players who don't play this game, don't seem as if they've tried this game for 4 hours and quit. They act as if they've never tried this game at all. Maybe never even gone to the main site.

Also keeping me as a vet has more to do with building a medium sized jungle map more than it does for ctf edits. So we don't all agree on what helps retain the " bleed " of vets. With the funds. Yet ye return Shrouded Skyway. I'm fine with Indar Ex, I hunt the flag runners so, tho most don't. So they should return Indar Ex too so people stop bashing the flag feature.

Theirs still no gun fps neither fantasy mmo that's shining for 2023. So why not hype Planetside for a trailer. All they have to do is give people the best of the updates they did enjoy. Shattered Warpgate? Jungles ok. Oshur? Pommel Gardens type boulder bases ok. Arsenal update 2.0? 2nd tool slot. 2nd tactical slot. Indar mid edit? Keep TI land bridge.

Tho ye unless they merge the servers this game has low pop. I still see a new trailer that's not a water map and isn't niche playstyle that construction is. Has people try ps2.
  11. BlackFox

The problem is that the playerbase always was rather small between 4,500 and 6.000 average players, which isn't really much for a Battlefield alike FPS shooter you can play for free. The whole concept of the game is a mix between class- and arena shooter, with elements from both that don't really mix. The game is unique, yes - but that had put it into a niché only a fraction of the potential playerbase enjoys.

A trailer won't change the situation, streamers won't change the situation, any marketing campaign won't change the situation - it's the game itself that drives players away from it. The fact that it's the only F2P Battlefield alike game on the market and still dies says a lot
  12. Effect

"Hype" items that did nothing to keep population.

Badly designed bases, no meaningful economy for handling vehicle spam, and endless forms of low effort cheese. All of those things directly lead to zergs being the best way to capture bases, which creates boring one-sided fights.

Planetside does not have a marketing issue, it has a player retention issue. Bad player retention is caused by badly designed and/or gameplay. Escalation (Covid really) more than doubled the game's population. Quite literally the biggest jump in population in the games history, and it lost most of it in just a few months. Big streamers have tried planetside before, but they always quit because the game has major issues that the player base doesn't want addressed.

PhysX isn't coming back, get over it.

Other games at least try to balance their game. It takes Planetside devs months or even years to fix obvious issues.

Most MMO players don't regularly play FPS games, which planetside is first and foremost.

Most games will keep a handful of people who refuse to leave even as the game's population dwindles to nothing. Half-life source TDM averages 10 players a month and has done so for a long time. CTF objectively has major flaws, there's a reason most people don't care for it.

Planetside is indeed a unique game, yet struggles to retain new players. It's uniqueness isn't enough to keep most new players long term. A new trailer isn't going to fix the games issues, let's not encourage the devs to waste their already limited resources things that do nothing for the game.
  13. Ps2 player

Halo infinite is alive and well. some youtuber featured my map 2 seasons ago (when it was apparently dead)

Forge Parkour Halo maps are INSANE - YouTube

Season 5 just came about and A.I aliens can be scripted in forge.

basically they screwed up just like they did with MCC collection, they fix it over time and the playerbase comes back. lots of players play MCC still and season 4 brought back alot of players and season 5 sure as hell brought back even more, and the largest halo competitive event just happened or already happened (didnt watch it)

unfortunately i havent been able to play it because some bug forcing my ram usage to 200% and cant undo it until they find a fix for it and its been 4 months.

that being said not sure the context of your post, but i also play battlerite, which came out in 2019, died after a year, and theres still around 200 people playing worldwide and i still get matches with the saltiest trash talking vets ive known for years.

most people say a game is dead when they dont see a swarm of people or que times jump up by a minute, and also Drama youtubers like to stir up the pot for this kinda BS for their own personal youtube views and gain, i mean **** planetside 2 has its own youtubers doing this as well.

simple put, dont listen to those morons just play the game.