[Suggestion] Steel Rain is awful.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by M4CGYV3R, Oct 9, 2023.

1. M4CGYV3R

Steel Rain has to go, or there needs to be a way to opt-out from being included other than frantically trying to find a vehicle.

There's nothing I've found more frustrating in this game than finding a perfect spot in a hard-to-reach mountain or bush somewhere, climbing and fighting the terrible terrain physics to get there, starting to pick people off, then suddenly being dropped right into a crapshow of chaos with the wrong weapon and no options.

I've left the game the last 3 times it happened. Eventually, like many players have, I'll just stop logging in period.
  2. OldButGold

I think there's nothing worse than those snipers in the mountains and bushes who don't even know how to steer a vehicle anymore. What it has to do with the steel rain I still do not understand.
  3. VV4LL3

Although removal of steel rain seems like the appropriate solution to prevent your sniping from being interrupted, however, it serves as a vital aspect of game mechanics to redeploy your squad to a conflict. Why is that important? Well, because not being able to get to a fight means in-game travel time, which is generally boring. Gamers want to get to the action as fast as possible, given the current limitations to prevent massive zerg balls.

Alternatively, your suggestion to "opt out" is a great one. Stick to that.

In the meantime, you can leave squad, or if there is a tactical flash to hop on to prevent redeployment, that's your best bet for now.
    • Up x 1
  4. M4CGYV3R

What? The only way to stop the forced redeploy is to get into a vehicle. I can easily drive a vehicle, but the best spots are not near the vehicle.

I usually park a sundy near the battle and climb into some surrounding terrain to pick people and vehicles off from an unexpected location. It's been pretty effective. Not sure what you don't understand about it.

Right, that's why we have things like spawn beacons and Sundys to let people spawn at forward positions. It's great to target a specific location with your squad drop, but it's not great to FORCE your squad to airdrop in a specific location without any control or ability to opt out.

Sometimes the Steel Rain redeploy yanks me from bushes on a hill 100m to the south of a structure, and drops me right into the middle of CQ combat 250m north of where I was and right where I was targeting. I was ALREADY IN THE BATTLE and I was doing better before the redeploy.

Just give me a "Steel Rain has been activated, press ___ or enter a vehicle to prevent redeploy". Even if you don't get rid of it, fix it.
  5. Vamperial

This might be a dumb question but why are you in a squad or platoon if you don't like playing with the group? The only time I know of to use Steel Rain is to grab everyone that may not be paying attention to squad/platoon leaders and bring them to a rally point. The whole point of it is to FORCE players to a location. Or in an emergency Redeploy where everyone needs to get to a base to defend it in a very small amount of time.

If you want to opt out of Steel Rain leave the squad? If you don't like when leaders use it, then pick a squad that is casual and isn't planning on using Steel Rain. If there was an actual opt out button, then people would just use it all the time and Steel Rain would be useless. You might think you're being useful sitting on a hill 100m away from the fight, but the fight is won or lost at the point in a typical fight.

I'm just saying there are different ways to change your gameplay or communicate with leaders, so you don't have to deal with Steel Rain rather than asking to remove something that is specifically designed to "herd cats" and provides a way for leaders to get their platoons to a location quickly.
  6. M4CGYV3R

You're right, it's a dumb question. Do you think only the people on the ground within 50m of the squad leader are participating? Having the ability to communicate and mark targets for the squad is useful, but that doesn't mean I have to be right next to them.

I swear this game is full of people who have no idea how to work as a team and treat it like Halo with more steps. Half the time people aren't even on voice so there may not even be a way to 'coordinate' with them. That still doesn't mean I should be able to drag them into MY fight by force because I want help with something.

What I prefer to do is overwatch - I sit above the main battle area and mark/pick off the bad guys from places they don't expect me to be. It's very useful to the squad, and I get some wicked kill streaks if I can keep someone from sneaking up behind me and popping me while I'm looking in the scope.

Oh god, I wish that was the only time it was used. I wish they'd say something on squad voice before using it even. If it was an Outfit squad that would happen, but if you haven't noticed there's some population issues with getting a big old Outfit on together so I'm usually playing with random folks in the auto-join squads.

I want to play socially. I play with the squad, and for the most part we do well together. Unfortunately the 'leaders' of a squad are whoever joined first and more often than not are just some random person, usually not on voice, who uses it because they think it's a 'win button' instead of a tactical tool. There's almost no planning that goes into it.

Thanks for proving my point. If it's so obnoxious that nobody wants it, it should go. There's plenty of other ways to redeploy quickly (faster than Steel Rain even) and plenty of ways for squads to set up or mark points to do so. Taking autonomy away from players doesn't help the game, it hurts it.

Not only does that not make sense, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The number of sundys that have set up shop 60m from me and not knowing I was there, which I promptly blew up, is very useful to the squad and usually changes the balance significantly. If I really want to farm XP I'll just shoot whoever spawns from it for a while first. Don't tell other people they're not useful because you think everyone should be running around as Light Assault 10m from the enemy.

If that's how you think of coordinating a squad, then you should probably not play in one. That's so arrogant and rude there's not much more to say to you about this.[/quote][/quote]
  7. Mechwolf

here's the easiest way to get out of steel rain: leave the squad, you're not contributing anyway if you're trying to dodge a steel rain.
  8. M4CGYV3R

As I said before, I was already IN THE BATTLE they were dropping on, and it just yanks me from a good spot to a terrible spot. It's like a big invisible hand reaches down and tosses you from a sniper perch into a trench battle.

If you think Steel Rain is a good feature, you're probably one of the entitled terrible squad leaders who abuse it.
  9. JibbaJabba

It would make me leave platoons too.

Just repeated abuse of it. Like dude, the reason nobody is where they are supposed to be is your lack of leadership. Using steel rain as a crutch just makes the few competent people leave.

And let's be frank. it's used utterly ineffectively. Everybody always uses it the same way: Blam, right on the point. Nobody ever uses it to drop to a rally point then move together. Nope. And nobody gives notice to Max up or similar.

So everyone drops in a predictable location that's easy to get to by the enemy. they are given plenty of notice. so the net result is free sky meat from the enemy. It's a mad rush to run over and kill steel rain. They don't stand a chance.
    • Up x 1
  10. lemurwrangler

great post /moo
    • Up x 1
  11. AntDX316

Just fly in with an ESF with ejection seat or use a Valkyrie..

Steel Rains have proven to win and save alerts with less than 1 second to spare. I know it could suck if you are in a good spot and you drop in with the wrong loadout then you can just leave Squad then join back in after, press P to show the Squad List.