[Suggestion] Bring back thermal optics!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OscarTheGallant, Aug 25, 2023.

1. OscarTheGallant

Hi,

its been 5 years since planetside 2 got its arms combined.

A lot of changes to how aerial combat is integrated into the game have taken place since then: the various sky shields/bubbles have been added to the game, various nerfs to aircraft weapons, a bunch of new lock on missiles and buffs to existing ones, nerfing the liberator health pool, infantry only fighting arenas and so on.

Furthermore, Planetside 2 has shown that it CAN make major changes and then revisit them later. For example, the Dalton metagame against aircraft was destroyed with the Dalton ESF 1shot nerf. This was a widely unpopular decision. Then a bunch of new anti liberator weapons were added and the 1 hit mechanic against ESFs was brought back into the game.

Please bring back thermal optics. I think the nerf made sense in the context of what was trying to be achieved during the CAI update, but the game has changed a lot since then. Making this change would be a great message for the community- Infantry are stronger than ever and the game is ready for it!
    • Up x 2
  2. ganthercage

Yes I would love to see them back too
    • Up x 1
  3. FLHuk

Yeah sure.

DBG can ask 100 new players, assuming there are 100, if they think being constantly farmed by air needs to be made easier for air.

Sure as **** they're going to answer yes cuz why wouldn't they right?
  4. OscarTheGallant

I understand not everyone is going agree, but its hard to have a conversation if the response ignores every point i made and just goes "REE A2G farming OP".

Also, i checked out your stats:

so while I'm sure its still annoying when it happens to you, based on your experience its more like a minor inconvenience specifically with ESFs. This suggests that giving thermal vision for libeartors would not be unreasonable, since they are intended for A2G but are under-performing at the moment.

As for new players, they are going to get farmed in planetside 2 no matter what. The game has a complex learning curve. but the whole point i made earlier is that a lot of work has gone into addressing this since the very regrettable CAI update was pushed to life and with it the destruction of thermal vision, so its worth revisiting this topic.
  5. FLHuk

I'm 52, my eyesight is failing.... I made a choice not to do the things I find cheesy, hence zero air to ground. Hence 4,179 kills with Skyguard over three toons.

As to your proposal.

My experience tells me there is zero need for this proposal, it's just a nice thing to have, IE, it helps make it easier. It wont add any skill to a Lib parking at 20 feet over my Skyguard and leaving the pilots seat for a poop till his gunner ends his brew and I pop!

For my part I would like revives for burster max back, the nerfs to Skyguard reversed but I can still kill air without them, ish, so I can see it's just me asking for my life to be easier, so I wont ask.
    • Up x 1
  6. TiffyvanKIOSK

Yes, thats need the game, more air to ground farmer :-( the only secure for inf in a open base is a burster max, and than the air goes to the next fight. So as a main inf player, if anyone ask me, libs and esf dont need a buff. I can remember, long time ago, air fights against air...but today all the pilots are best friends and farming infantrie
  7. Effect

No thanks. We don't need to make it easier for vehicles to farm infantry.
    • Up x 2