Steel rain and drop beacon are making game too one dimensional...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pollux Lander, Aug 8, 2023.

1. Pollux Lander

Been playing on cobalt in the three faction and also on Miler and Beacon+steel rain si the 90% fo the time the way i have been moved around.

Sunderer? what is that?
    Galaxy? nani the ****?
    Valkirye? liek the game?

all the spawn method used by outfit are beacon and steel rain over and over and over again...

sometime a router here and there...

its extremely boring and doesnt bring much counter play. hard to instantly destroy a beacon and it has no timer so 12 guys at least can instantly spawn thank to one, and drop where they want...

Dont know if Beacon and steel rain should be nerfed but right now its the most common method outfit use on the two server i play on...
  2. Ps2 player

Not sure if you are a NSO, but here is how i make outfits seethe, its the best way to kill beacons and i dont even need to aim.

Javelin + EMP thumper.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EZRekt/comments/15m2qnr/_/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
    https://www.reddit.com/r/EZRekt/comments/15m2ld6/_/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

if you arent NSO, you can do the same using a valkrie, switching seats and shooting thumper out of the valk seat. just keybind the seat swap.

i do this often with my javelin and its very effective negating sweaty outfits that beacon drop on a point, they place down another? i can simply go kill that one too.
  3. JibbaJabba

Nothing needs nerfed. You need a new outfit.

Know what your enemy calls steel rain? Free sky meat.

If your outfit uses it all the time, you're probably getting your butts kicked all the time. Seriously even if you max suit up, you're dropping with absolutely zero initiative with an enemy given 30 seconds to get ready for you. Nobody every steel rains somewhere away from the desired location to allow the squad to form up before moving out. :p

The outfits that valk/beacon drop are playing a QRF style where hard spawns are not initially available. This works great with high cohesion squads with proper loadouts. The beacon is considered a luxury, and medics are the real spawns. The outfits that do this stuff are NOT the outfits that use a steelrain. :p
  4. Pollux Lander

But it does work that the problem... I have yet to see a failing steel rain/beacon spam...that is not countered byt more steel rain+beacon spam.

maybe make beacon and steel rian unable to pass the respawn hard cap so easily and slow down spaning from beacon...

Dropping a valk/LA and then beacon to then spawn the whole squad on target is extremely annoying and can be very hard to counter if you dont have a lot of air unit already covering the sky...

so emp damages break beacon... can the emp canon from base building be use for it?
  5. JibbaJabba

It works, yes. it gets you to the place. I don't ever recall a steel rain being effective. It grants the enemy free initiative.

Bad or sometimes public platoon leaders use it to force pubbies into cohesion. Or so they think. What it really does is stop everyone from what they were doing (which may have been productive) and promptly get them killed. I find it annoying.

It's a crutch for a PL that can't move troops properly, or isn't able to get compliance from troops. If your PL is regularly doing this, leave that platoon.

Beacons? They can be very effective and the difference between a good outfit and a crap outfit often comes down to their beacon discipline. IE, communicating, not overwriting them, designating people, rotation, etc. Enemy beacons should be considered a serious threat and prioritized.
  6. VV4LL3

I like having multiple ways of getting to the objectives and combat.... I'm fairly certain no one likes running/ driving/ flying somehwere for 5 minutes just to die in 30 seconds of actual play time.
  7. tigerchips

Steel rain is fine but drop beacon is a no no, should be squad leader only. I also hate the random drops people make, i presume it's instant action or something like that. I am aware, i am aware of who is behind me and who is infront of me, unless they drop out of nowhere. It shouldn't be like that, this isn't team death match.
  8. JibbaJabba

You don't want what you think you want. :p

The beacon was squad leader only before. This allowed skilled squads to dunk on nonskilled squads. The skilled squads would expertly rotate squad leader to maintain a beacon. The zerg masses do not.

You being aware of who is in front or behind you is a matter of experience. A generic example: If there is a beacon on your rooftop expect the enemy to begin ingress on an upstairs door (if applicable) that is non on the main axis of attack. Set your ambush. They'll come in expecting element of surprise.

Beacons are powerful and very much part of planetside. Get better at them.
  9. tigerchips

Skill or not, i just want it back the way it was. What we've got in the game now is an Ouroboros, never ending beacon placement and spawns, especially in amp stations.

I'm mainly complaining about the random spawns from instant action. It's not a matter of experience, those things drop at random.
  10. tigerchips

What we're seeing in the game now is people abusing the beacons by flying airship to destination and dropping beacons high up, rince and repeat. If it was squad leader only for beacons this woudln't be so much of an issue.
  11. JibbaJabba

Valkyrie delivered tree beacons require time, effort, and nanites. They are some of the most powerful spawns in the game. Ignore them at your own peril.

This "abuse" and "issue" you are talking about is people playing the game. They are using the mechanics as intended.

I think maybe you want to play a different game than the one you are playing. CoD or something, I dunno.
  12. tigerchips

You left out Cortium. You can spawn a million of them if you have enough Cortium. Construction Bases are all over the place, you just need to add your own Air Vehicle terminal. Very little effort involved.
  13. Somentine

Beacon spam can be a little annoying, and there could be some slight nerfs to it, but the main problem is the drop-pod mechanic:

Not only does it work like exiting a vehicle (invisible & invulnerable due to clientside), but should they choose to stay inside the pod, they can shoot out of it while everyone else can only hit the drop-pod itself. Not only that, but like a lot of sounds in this game, it is bugged to hell and sometimes 100% silent, or as close to it, especially when there is a big fight going on.
  14. Zipr

Welcome to PS2
    Only played Emerald (PC) fwiw

Steel Rain is fairly new to the game Believe most folks enjoy battling as opposed to ghost capping or in this case an inability to act sooner (more than likely) Need to really try an be productive tho... It requires Outfit resources for use! (Chance it could be used more when an Outfit is producing as a way to avoid wasting) Normally it may take a squads effort for success ex. Light assault placing a hard to reach beacon Medics making it to point for both assaulting and reviving Max's is nice for killing Engy for ammo/repairs Lastly I like to see the veh terminal hacked for a bus Again tho Fights vary Some make too much of a distraction and/or focus on kills (ie. killing a bus) Sometimes ya just need effort until the Calvary shows up

Ahh the Beacon (Sometimes last ditch Sometimes the difference needed) Somewhat easily taken out tho I find it kind of sporting tossing up emp grenades at times

Sunderer Lotta times especially in the mornings Its kind of a gentleman's agreement to not kill a bus. Lotta flavors too Repair is kind of a big target Sometimes feel im one of the few to run radar Fun to watch a try hard solo reinforced Cloak is quite common (Wouldnt sit waiting to spawn on a ammo bus Not usually its intent to provide spawn services)

Gals Yeah You might not see them too much But some continents and /or certain bases ( Still been a welcome feature to the game )

Valk Think that's mostly elite or folks pretending.... It is cheaper resources tho

Now as far as Steel rain being "everything" Sounds like some need to venture out and L2P? I mean sometimes it can be quite a quick demise. Technically even the drop location can be fubar Id start watching the folks you play alongside too IF bacon is being left alone Could mean farmers in the area DGAF about the base much less the point No shame in slop kills etc. All about that KDR LuLz

AND Trust me you do not really want hardcore timers on bacon Already plenty of limitations for having the wrong kit/loadout etc. I rarely place bacon myself Pub squads pay no mind to a beacons location and drop one maybe for points I guess (Sometimes you'll see three from the same squad in quick succession )

They've redesigned routers w/ different settings Limited placement locations Distance limits Imagine in larger fights it is kind of a drag to know it almost takes an OS to kill a good router Personally, Im very thankful when one shows up for some fights Normally I will just grab an ESF to get to some fight (Yeah they have spawn limits too)

I wouldn't hold my breath for any changes to Steel Rain and/or Beacons tho Shocked they haven't made Steel Rain costs Auraxium Not just everybody has extra access whose willing to squad lead (Possibly even Anvils) (Think a better squad leader drops an anvil w/ the steel rain) Hope you follow and were helped some...
  15. Zipr

Ive seen these tall forest beacons (Routers too) I kinda like the one tree placement @ I think its Nasons You can almost walk down the tree w/ no damage...

Hard to say its something that may not have been intended or addressed (Tree placement) I imagine they could implement fall damage No damage taken for a beacon at ground level Shields lost maybe for a tower Death w/o "fall damage implant" from such tree's Think to some degree we should consider sense levels (including possibly new players) Chance some could be unaware of shields? Spawn and die instantly may not go over so well for some casuals too

Not to point fingers here But, do you have a more reasonable solution? We both need to understand that some may see spawns as few and far between While others may feel a multitude of choices found normally