Moving Planetside to a new computer

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by squaddude, Jul 15, 2023.

1. squaddude

What's the beat way to move Planetside 2 from an old computer to a new computer? The installation on the old computer was not done via Steam but rather installed directly from the Planetside Web Site. I'd like to preserve all my character's experience and other related profile data. I have google'ed for a how to but the content seems old and my concern is that it is out of date.

Thanks in advance.
  2. ganthercage

I think there is a tutorial on youtube describing this
  3. DarkQuark

The process is 2 step.

1) copy the entire PS2 directory to it's desired new home
    1a) it has been possible before to run the launcher directly and let it check stuff but I was to say that ends up missing some requirements and so you have to perform #2
    2) in the past I pulled a fresh setup file from the website and when it asks where, you point it to that directory and it will go through the process and check all the files but not redownload them
    2a) I am pretty sure it keeps your settings which is basically like 2 ini files but if it overwrites them just copy those 2 files back over again and all done
  4. Somentine

I'd specifically move those files out and let the launcher DL them again fresh; sometimes they add new options that you would otherwise have to lookup. After that, re-add the lines you want to keep from your old .ini files.
  5. DarkQuark

That is wholly unnecessary as the files are all the same. I do not believe there are any new options and no need to manually add to ini files.
  6. Somentine

Depends on how old the .ini is, and if you had readonly on it. If so, there are new options they've added, and some they've taken away (hidden).
  7. DarkQuark

If it's an install you have been using anytime recently the ini is fine and that's not really a concern. And making that file read-only is a senseless move in my opinion and I am pretty sure almost no one does that so I am confident it does not apply here.

I am not sure why you want to complicate the situation but the couple steps I mentioned is all that is needed. Is it possible someone customized something weird and made it different, sure. But in most cases the stuff I listed is fine.
  8. Yaesu

Ummm? After a long break, years, knowing my log in and password still, I went to their website, logged in, downloaded the game. When the launcher came up, logged in again, pressed 'play'. There were all my characters as I left them. Am I wrong on this? I don't think you need to do anything with .ini files.
  9. DarkQuark

You are mostly correct. Most everything is server side as far as I am aware and have experienced. The only time I dink with a PS2 ini file whether that is copying it over or editing it is "UserOptions.ini". This is where many game settings are that we all tend to customize. If you just install the game fresh it works fine but you have to fix all your settings again. It's just a time saver and copying over all your PS2 files from 1 PC to another saves download time.
  10. Somentine

Not really sure why you're making an argument against this, and throwing out random factually incorrect things like 'no new settings' and 'no need to manually edit the .ini'.

Like, okay, you don't do it and don't understand a lot about it... so just stop?

As for the rest:

And if it isn't a recent install, it's probably missing some new settings. If they care, which is their choice, they can do what I suggested. If not then they can either just get a fresh copy and redo their settings or copy over the old files as you suggested, but with a little bit more information on why.

Not only does locking the .ini to readonly allow for things like low graphics with big tracers, but beyond tricks like that it also stops you from accidentally overwriting changes and forgetting about them, AND stops random patches affecting your settings (unless they completely removed the setting from the game).

There are a number of hidden/old/new settings you can add to the .ini.

As for your 'concern' about copying the lines being too complicated; if someone finds it too difficult, then I suspect they're going to have trouble even finding the folder and files to copy and replace in the first place.
  11. St0mpy

The vast majority of the file bulk is in a folder called Assets. Copy this folder to your new pc to save download time.

All character and keyboard settings are kept in two small files. UserOptions.ini and InputProfile_User.xml. You do not need anything else to preserve your setup.

You need to use the official installer on the new pc but as soon as it starts downloading from the internet stop it, copy in the Assets folder, restart the launcher, if your Assets folder was up to date itll complete in a few seconds, if not, wait for the download to finish. Close the launcher one last time then copy back in the two user files. Easy 5 minute job.

Any problems use the wrench icon and validate files, and always keep a backup copy of your two user files in a separate place. Note: the new pc may have different devices eg GPU, sound card, microphone etc so you may need to reselect these in game settings on first run. Hth,
  12. DarkQuark

Look, you do you. Feel absolutely free to just assume anyone whom disagrees must do so because they know less than you. That's pretty much par for the course on internet discourse these days.

A person replied asking for help to move his game folder from 1 PC to the other without losing his settings. If someone is coming to ask for assistance with that it's a very good indication that they probably are not doing anything with their ini file manually in anyway shape or form. I did not deny anything of the shenanigans you mentioned I know they happen and I have done some myself. But most folks don't and when it's clear someone needs help with something basic such as that its a disservice to them to confuse them with extraneous info.

Dude just wanted some basic help from the community, period.
  13. Somentine

Oh, really? Hmmm:

Bruh... just stop.

1. The act of copying over 2 files is just as 'hard' as the act of copying over text in files.
    2. Regardless of whether they have touched the .ini files manually before or not, more very simple info is good. The extra bit of instructions I added weren't even remotely complicated.
    3. People follow instructions to edit their .ini all the time, that doesn't mean they know all the files they'd need to copy in order to save all their settings, or how to get the launcher to look in the correct directories when file checking, or anything else like that.

If they are confused with that, they will be confused with finding and copying a file. You are both giving people too much and too little credit.

If they don't care to do a single extra step, that's perfectly fine. Gatekeeping info like a moron is not, never mind gatekeeping with incorrect information and assumptions.

Then again, this is pretty much par for the course on internet discourse these days

Finally, regardless of whether this person needs the info or not, people generally search for info and these are the types of threads that will come up. OP might not need the extra step, but someone else certainly could.
  14. Jingstealer

Its a bit pathetic that the key bindings are not stored with the rest of the account data on the servers tbh
  15. squaddude

I appreciate all the input everyone has provided here. Thanks!
  16. FlashBang

I would suggest copying your config file. I pretty much had to completely relearn the game a few months ago with default controls.