Perihelion Is too strong for the mag.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Touchmaballs, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Touchmaballs

The fact that the mag can get the high ground every time, makes the perihelion unsuitable for the mag. They are the vehicle equivalent of an annoying sniper you cant just go and kill if they have AA. Perihelion has no drop and takes half your health. What were they thinking prowler had range, now what does it have over other tanks, nothing. Vanguards were always quiet easy to deal with piloting a mag b4 the new gun.
    • Up x 1
  2. Botji

Perihelion has like a 8 second cycle between damage if you charge it, reload upgrades included. While the damage up front can be decent, the follow up is not, and worse is that each shot only does 713 damage(tank front armor), even a fully charged salvo is ONLY 2139 damage(tank front armor). Even if I am generous and say that the cycle is 7 seconds that is still an atrocious 305 DPS. If I am less generous and we go with 8 seconds the DPS is 267.

Kingsnake for example does 525 damage(tank front armor) per shot so a 4 shot salvo is 2100 damage, no charge up required. Taking the delay between shots and reload into account, the damage cycle of the Prowler Kingsnake is 3.95 seconds(with reload upgrades) so lets say 4 seconds, that gives it a DPS of 525.

So on one hand you have the Perihelion with a 267-305 DPS and on the other you have the Kingsnake with 525 DPS.... and we have not even included the 30% faster reload speed the Prowler can get which would put it closer to triple the DPS of the Perihelion.

Apparently a maxed out repair tool repairs at a rate of 167 health per second so 2 Engineers repairing their tank and its questionable if the Perihelion will be able to kill it without having to get close and hit it from the side/rear without assistance from a 2nd gunner or other vehicle ofc. Thats how strong it is.

As for the "oh noes it sits on hills!", yeah Magriders do that sometimes but the Perihelion is not exactly a sniper weapon with its 225m/s velocity. I agree that they are annoying but at least they are not deadly, unlike a Prowler doing something similar.
    Sure Kingsnake also has 225m/s velocity but all Prowlers can deploy and get a +50% velocity increase, making it much better at being a sniper with both faster projectiles but also 2-3x the damage output. Even if you miss half the shots due to the CoF its still more DPS than the Perihelion.

Perihelion is sort of decent on Lightnings but again, nothing like a Lightning Kingsnake.
  3. Touchmaballs

Kingsnake is only good when deployed, the projectile is slow and the drop. The more you deploy the more likely you will die. We already had this problem with VS when the saron was the sniper weapon up on the mountain. You don't need to follow up just strafe behind cover or move slightly backwards. 2 mags and one gunner can can finish anything off in one volley maybe not a vanguard if the driver even had a chance to activate shield.
    When I pull a Colossus against nc it dies when there are too many enemies. Against VS its because i am being surrounded by pick a boo mags on the hill tops. The lighting is pretty devastating as well small profile at range are you kidding me, solo harraser glitching behind cover was a pain before now lightings sniping from far.
  4. Botji

Projectile speed is the same so you cant really use that as an argument for why the Kingsnake is somehow worse. It does have drop but so does every other tank shell and we have all been killed by long range shots from tanks, no matter what tank or weapon they were using and its mainly because we were stationary.

Two Magriders with gunners can indeed kill most tanks in one volley, same goes for two Prowlers using Kingsnake and gunners, and they can do it 2-3 times more often/faster.

Your story about bringing Colossus into valleys against VS is interesting but I dont see any relevance, if you were surrounded by Prowlers in the same way you would be ultra-omega dead since as I already said, they have around 2-3x the DPS of the Maggies so if they had to play peek-a-boo with you the Prowlers would probably just stand there and kill you, no need to play around.

Why are you not complaining about the Larion on the Chimera?
    It has no bullet drop, faster velocity(350 vs 225) and a DPS of 424, its a straight upgrade over the Perihelion aside from not being so front loaded on damage but it would kill you about twice as fast from long range as the Perihelion would and actually be fairly good at hitting you due to the velocity.
  5. Touchmaballs

You are missing the point and using statistics plain black and white, prowlers or vanguards can not go on top of mountains without anvils. Why did they nerf the saron they just released a new gun that has pretty much the same drop as old saron with much higher instant damage. Only so people play VS more and by the weapon.
    Oh yeah thanks for the info I didnt even have to look it up how much you main VS over other factions bias argument.
    • Up x 1
  6. RabidIBM

I see we're still going around this track. VS players quote DPS to justify claiming that the insane burst damage and ability to sustain a full chage indefinitely isn't OP. It would be nice if we could have a "balance complaint week" where we all gain access to all faction kit for a week. I know it couldn't happen, but it would still be funny to see everyone on the receiving end of their own stuff.
    • Up x 2
  7. Botji

A Magrider on top of a mountain!? OH NO!!!
    So anyway, now that we simply drove away a little or got behind cover and are 100% safe, on the topic of faction bias it takes quite a lot of it to see:

2139 damage every ~7-8 seconds
    2100 damage every ~3.0 seconds

And then come to the conclusion that yes, the first one is obviously too good and needs a nerf while the second one is completely balanced, even though it also has access to 50% faster projectiles.

I do have much more time playing VS in total since it was my 'main' faction for the majority and especially at launch, if you would look at any recent history my main faction is NSO, having done the ASP thing twice on that character more or less since the big NSO update.

My bias, if you can call it that, for the Magrider being weak comes from having used and seen it while on the VS faction and playing every other faction, actively hunting Magriders and being successful at it since I know how to abuse them and how weak they really are in combat.

A good part of my Javelin auraxium are actually Magrider kills because GL killing anything else with something as garbage as the Celeste.