[Suggestion] Darklights to reveal ALL Stealthed

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VV4LL3, Apr 17, 2022.

1. VV4LL3

It would be nice to have darklights reveal even stealthed sunderers, or when someone has implant based stealth...
    • Up x 1
  2. BlackFox

A counter for stealth.... in PLANETSIDE?! Don't be ridicolous /sarcasm
    • Up x 1
  3. Demigan

They dont anymore? They used to at least.
    • Up x 1
  4. OneShadowWarrior

They should just make flashlights a standard attachment once you bought it on your weapon at no cost to other rail attachment slots.

That would level the playing field.
    • Up x 1
  5. Sumowning

Might as well add a flashlight, multiple scopes, lasers, a knife, firestarting kit, radio, antenna, perhaps some kind of snack dispenser too
    • Up x 2
  6. Demigan

Flashlights are so bad, they need some upgrades for that to even be effective. For starters they need to be useful against more than just Cloakers. For example by letting the light reduce visibility around the user, making the player harder to aim at:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/DBes-KCqDlE/maxresdefault.jpg

Naturally it would need to hide the spot dorito above the player or you would still have an easy time finding the head.

Other things could be that looking directly into the flashlight for longer could create a flashbang effect. Or that instead of turning it on and off (which only works for people currently rendering your character) it can create a more powerful flash which blinds people and reveals cloakers for a second or two at longer range and wider FOV. I understand that some people crutching on cloak might be scared of a decent (but not great) counter to cloak but crutches be crutches.
    • Up x 2
  7. Clone117

Lets just have the thing kick ppl and vehicles out of cloak mode and autospot em for all too see as well as increase the actual lighting effect so that it can work as a spotlight for night fighting.
  8. d3c0y

Must admit, I am not normally very constructive on here on forums beyond scoffing at calls for infil nerfs...probably not entirely fleshed out by any means, but had had thoughts the other week on ideas to help alleviate the apparent scourge, but by no means would I want everyone being able to flare a hill 200m away without at least a decent cost....if at all.

-Darklight Field gen/Flare - creates area(15-25m? 1/2 to 2/3 range of sensor dart.) of darklight that reveals infiltrators(think wow hunter flare)
    this should require a high nanite(150~) cost AND not be spammable given the counter it provides to a classes entire ability,
    this would require fixing darklight colission with walls and objects.
    *if this was made overly spamable, the class would become completely useless, should also never be given a ranged variant.
    **I'm sorry, not sorry, if you get shot in the head from an unseen infiltrator and ohk, the cloak existing or effectiveness would not have played a role in it. Hiding behind terrain has the same effect and you still would not have seen it coming.

-Vehicle Darklight Headlights

An option in the Utility slotfairly minor, but could still be quite useful. But it like anything should have a cost, be that fire
    suppresion or whatever you normally would take.

Darklight Paint Mine(available to all classes) -

Detonates and marks the cloaker for 30secs making them visible as if a lit up entirely by darklight.
    100(minimum) nanite cost given it seriously counters a classes entire ability for an extended period and should not be overly spammable.
    **could argue about the EMP, but it is available to multiple classes too**
    **HEAVIES DO NOT NEED AND SHOULD NOT GET EMP, PERIOD**

Engineer/Infi dart UB attachment for engi's only, available to carbines/scout rifles(maybe an ammo for the archer/shortbow?), AOE projectile that tags a group of enemies for 30-45secs, revealing them to all friendlies as spotted, cloak cannot strip this effect. Medic cleansing nade can remove it maybe?

*Feel like the engi/medic counters play off each other nicely.*
    **Buff sensor dart to first pulse spot target, buff the motion sensor to pulse detect cloaked players every 2-3 ticks?**
    ***Sensor shield maybe needs a rework?***

--the aoe spotting UB idea springs more from observation of how....blind...players seem at times, so having a generally bigger emphasis on tools to assist spotting and awareness without getting TOO over the top, which frankly, some or all of these could be.--

If all of that does not help combat the supposed scourge that is infiltrators, you might need to take a good look at your own play, at the point this sort of stuff is being implemented, things are really just getting out of hand.

**Edit:Maybe an alternative attachment for vehicles in general? Flare launcher that can illuminate a decent radius and hover for a minute or 2...
  9. Amador

I did previously suggest that vehicles should simply have Darklight Headlights as an alternative to Normal Headlights. You know, with reduced range and visibility, at the cost of being able to expose cloaked vehicles and/or Infiltrators.

This could've been a solution to deal with the ANT Cloak, Flash Cloak and Sunderer Cloak.
  10. Scatterblak

Exactly. Stealth *barely* works at all now, it's of nearly negligible use, and with the recent buggy patch, darklights extend to infinity anyway. Anyone who has a problem finding stealthed sundy's or inf's should probably segué back over to CS or something.
  11. Demigan

This alone should disqualify you from infiltrator threads. If you cannot see the advantage of cloak to A: let you attack people from unexpected angles instead of the edge of cover they watch and B: let you find, aim and prepare to fire at enemies for at the very least a fraction longer before the whole latency even becomes a factor then you dont even know the most basic ways of using stealth.

I think you overestimate the value of scoffing at calls for infil nerfs, especially since the calls for nerfs have a lot of solid ground to stand on.

You grossly overestimate the value of such a tool. It remains only useful against a single class and only in the room/area you place one. I for one would massively abuse the false sense of safety such a tool would give. If it were free and went into my utility slot I would likely not even consider it unless I knew with 100% certainty I was going up against an Infil in a specific area. As a free UB weapon it could have its uses. Especially if Infils are able to shoot it and destroy it (like you can with recon darts) then it becomes really just a tool we should have had a long time ago as its less limiting than the fartlight.

"Quite useful". This should be standard, no need to equip it or sacrifice any slots. If you cant avoid the short-ranged visible lights of vehicles or use the simple idea of "dont stand too close in front/behind it" you shouldnt be using infils anyway.

Also the fact that you think this is worth enough to sacrifice your vehicles utility is a clear sign yoi have no idea what you are talking about. I mean holy crap Darklights for vehicles to replace the shield/barrage/sideburn/fire suppression? No one would sacrifice that just for the occasional Infil too dumb to stay clear of a vehicle's front or rear. Its a niche ability even if its standard and doesnt take any slots.

Why immediately go for 30 seconds? a cheap mine that reveals them for 10 seconds is enough to make it a solid play/counterplay. An Infil would need to hide or survive for the same duration as a regular spot would.

Also instead of a mine only really useful against one class, make it useful against more. The Infil and LA share a lot of traits in being able to get to flanks and rear lines easier and cause havoc, so it would make sense if the LA would get a different set of detection tools. For example a tripmine laser: place it on the ground, ceiling or walls and anyone passing the laser will be spotted. An Infil makes it spray its paint. This is a tool that fits the LA style of flanking attacks without stepping on the Infil's AOE detection. It also helps other classes detect Infils and makes sure the Engi doesnt stay the "well anything deployable goes to them" guy which stifles gameplay.

Again, why immediately use such large numbers? Why a 30 to 45 second detection just for a UB shot? A10 second detection is more than fine in most cases.
    Also why give this to the Engi? The Engi has enough tools as it is and its the one class who could spam this by resupplying itself.

A more nuanced version would be to upgrade smoke grenades to have pixie dust which clings to all enemies (not friendlies) who pass through. Not only does this mean you dont have to bend over backwards to equip the right scopes for everyone for that tiny advantage seeing through smoke, which can be done by spamming Q-spot anyway, it also means its not limited to just two classes for no reason at all.
    Pixie dust would be a useful tool as it would stick to enemies for an while after passing through, lighting them up like a christmas tree. A stragetically placed one can spot or deter cloakers from entering and can also make it easier to find and track enemies as they leave or enter a position.

Another spotting tool that fits the LA since its a handheld rather than something deployed: an echolocation scanner. You ping in a direction and the location of enemy players are revealed and visible through walls as a wire-frame, but only the location they are at when they were pinged so if they move they can "lose" the ping. It gives a snapshot for players to find enemies before entering a room or to detect them as they prowl around an area.
    The ping would be visible, so all pinged players (and those nearby but outside of the ping) would know they were pinged and if they pay attention know where the ping came from. That makes it a suitable double-edged sword.

Since only the over the top long detection of the paint mine and UB weapon would be useful, it would rather be the infils that need to look at their play if they are killed significantly more than they are now. Hell the flare would likely be increasing my kills as Infil since I thrive a lot on people's false sense of security, which these things give. It would only really be useful against Infils who sit in the same area and think that is a master tactician move for some reason.
  12. Demigan

Its a sad day when there are people so incredibly incapable, that they cant even use PS2's cloak. These people wouldnt even be able to play a game like CS. They would need some kind of tutorial on how to use WASD keys first.

Darklights extending to infinity still means only +/-300m range, and thats still useless as all hell unless you fight one of the braindeads who can only crutch on cloak and think its almost worthless despite crutching HARD on it.
  13. d3c0y

To be clear, only even posted that headache to read as all i see is calls to nerf the class, which I personally disagree with, I have no issues with infil in it's current state or older states, but if they are gonna get nerfed, I'd rather it be spotting and awareness tools than the class being stripped from what it is currently too horrendously.

Totally appreciate that mostly it's terrible ideas, but better than "nerf infil".

Don't really know what you are getting at trying to insult me out of commenting on it at all... I enjoy the game as it is and frankly wouldn't want any of this at all, but better than alot of the rage threads stuff popping up. Don't really care what anyone thinks of how my friends and I are playing the game.

But thank you for taking the time to pull apart and respond, it was ball park figures in the 1st place from someone who has come back after and 3+yr break and has just been gobsmacked by the infil hate and I know they were well over tuned, not like they weren't open to realistic adjustments, but there are soooo many other things in this game that could be considered worse for gameplay than what half the posts are pushing.

Heck, I'm just having fun with qcx + amr-66 goin tank and aircraft hunting, shotgun reavers spending 5 mins trying to kill you only to run out of ammo or die to a xbow is hilarious. Lightnings regularly panic and run or die, 3 infils ganging up on an mbt is a kill. Just been entertaining.

Would you rather I just left it to the rage posters "remove cloak" mob?
  14. Demigan

Because you have no problem with it does not mean it shouldnt change. Cloak has a nasty way with how it interacts with the latency system which gives a ludicrous advantage to the Infil. It also lets players use stealth for in-your-face attacks. The Infil would be more than powerful enough if they could only use cloak to get to the flanks or rear of players, but not use it in full-frontal combat or wait out players for the perfect opportunity to strike. The Infil needs a change so it cant do that anymore.

You could add a Darklight version of a Nightsun into the game and the Infil would still need a change to how its cloak works. All you see is "nerf infil", but there are specific reasons why these changes need to be made in order to make the class not drag the game down.

Now the users of the Infil like it because they get the advantages, ofcourse they'll complain and claim its all good and proper. Hell they'll claim they are the poor class who has to work SO HARD to get an advantage out of this broken cloak version. The thing is that we've been here before. For example the ESF's when their rocketpods were nerfed so they couldnt kill an entire platoon with a single pass anymore, they werent the problem! And there are counters to them ofcourse! And its the fault of their victims that they cant stop a craft that dictates the battle from start to finish! And they earned their kills right?!?
    And remember when HA overshields were nerfed? Oh those poor HA's, they deserved that much more powerful shield right? Their class was made for it? The new shield was worthless, noe those poor HA's wouldnt be able to win fights anymore!

Infils are now doing the same, complaining about losing power, even if its justified. But the core of the problem hasnt been adressed yet, which is how cloak interacts with the latency system.

I only called you out on not understanding even the basics of cloak and I said people who cant figure out how to avoid the front of vehicles as a cloaker are dumb. So are you one of the people who cant figure that out? Because if you arent I didnt insult you.

Well over tuned is a word for it. There are a lot of things bad with the gameplay, but the infil should be one of the easier ones to fix: the latency system causes a problem with how fast an Infil can decloak. So if you lengthen the decloak time you can prevent those problems. This pushes the Infil into more of a flanking role which is absolutely fine. Just like the LA can get onto the flanks and then use his weapons without further advantages is totally fine for them. You can easily then buff the Infil health&shield back to 1000 total.

Well considering the rage poster "Infil is fine" mob has no ground to stand on and will use anecdotes, victimshaming or "I'm fine with it so you should too" as their arguments it would actually be best to let the well deviced posts of the "change infil" side hopefully bring a much needed change.