[Suggestion] A way to combat hacking in the future?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AntDX316, Feb 20, 2022.

1. AntDX316

2. Demigan

The game already used this at some point, only it banned players for certain statistical anomalies.

The thing is that some players making a new account could get banned. Although I suspect many of the players complaining on the forums were actually cheaters making dummy accounts to test cheats who had to get rid of that system since it made it hard to figure out if they were banned because they were detected or simply because of the statistical system.
    • Up x 1
  3. AntDX316

I think the issue why Planetside 1 development stopped was they couldn't crackdown on the hackers. The same probably with the game World in Conflict which was an Exceptional game. It would be cool to have some of those capabilities of World in Conflict in Planetside 2 but can only imagine.

I miss that game. : (
  4. Demigan

This is barely related to the subject of the thread or my reply.
  5. FLHuk

Let's be perfectly honest, the last two major updates gave us flying maxes.

I'ts never been commented upon, it's not on the roadmap, response to the only system we have ( which most players are ignorant of ) is slow, my last effort took nearly two hours.

I'd love to think it's a concern but everytime someone tripple pistol headshots me from 100m away during my passing a doorway at 90' to them I laugh and remember where we are.
  6. User8888

There are not that many cheaters. Hire 1 person as AI detector would be cheaper and more effective than implementing so many detectors. Even players would pay this one , add a button buy Cheater Evaluation 15$/hour :) Add Name > Submit.
  7. MonnyMoony

I have brought up just this subject in the past. Why is it beyond the realms of possibility to mark certain areas of the map "off limits" to certain units.

Maxes for example. There should be no way a Max should be able to be anywhere above about 10ft off the ground - so why aren't all areas of the sky effectively off limits for a Max. If a max stays longer than a few seconds in the sky - it's obvious they are cheating as there is no viable mechanism by which a Max can sustain altitude above the ground unless it is inside a vehicle. Same with most infantry classes.

Similarly clipping and shooting through walls or from beneath terrain. Why aren't all areas inside walls and beneath terrain treated as "out of bounds" like the edge of the map is. If you go beyond the edge of the map - you have 10 seconds before you are killed, why can't the same mechanism be employed for inside walls/rocks and beneath terrain?

The game also knows if you are inside the warpgate and prevents you from being killed by friendly fire. Why can't the same mechanism be employed to protect troops from enemy fire inside spawn rooms?
  8. RabidIBM

The exception to MAXes is that you wouldn't want to punish Gal Drops.
  9. AntDX316

because the way the game is, it would be hard to cover every area and I think they were experimenting with that at Terran Genetics on Oshur where for Days if you had spawned in the spawn room you have the out of bounds damage occur until you've died.
  10. Demigan

Yeah! Its way too hard to create something like a painfield or out-of-bounds volume in places you dont want people to go!

Oh wait.

It would be almost trivial to create several special painfields that deal damage according to resistances so you can target a specific type of unit with damage. The only non-trivial thing is placing them. But you can start by placing anti-infantry zones inside the walls of a tower base for example, or in known and often complained about places where players place Sunderers inside the terrain.

Also aircraft have a height meter which tracks their height according to the ground. A MAX could have the same, and automatically trigger an out-of-bounds 10 second timer when they are too high off the ground. Falling from a Gal at max height takes less than 10 seconds so it should be fine.
  11. AntDX316

It's a height above ground level for everything most like. For a Max, if a bug were to occur at 1ft or worse because the AGL coding was bugged.. as we know a bunch of things are bugged such as /sitreps that can't be used when you are at the base Already capping, we don't want to break the game for certain changes.
  12. MonnyMoony

How long does a Gal drop take though. The Max wouldn't be in the air for more than a few seconds. The timer for out of bounds is 10 seconds - more than enough time for a gal drop.
  13. FLHuk

It's still not in the roadmap that was posted here one day after everywhere else....

Urinating into a stiff breeze while wearing a rented suit!
  14. BorgUK1of9

Been playing PS1 and PS2 since 2003, gaming since forever because I am now getting old. Hackers are easy to spot, atm the favourite seems to be the wallhack/permanent highlight of players with aimbot/no-scope on sniper rifles. Really need to put my recorder on a hot button, just had one on Esamir Miller shoot 6 players in about 4 seconds from 200m and then started shooting at me while I was behind a rock. Clearly Daybreak are just not doing enough.

As one who saw the demise of Werner and PS1, if I was to give a advice to Daybreak, when the population drops and the loyal players have to put up with hackers the game dies very quickly. SOE even gave GM rights as a trial to a couple of loyal, trustworthy and capable players to give temporary banning abilities, really helped kicked the kids out to spoil games and kept Emerald alive until PS2 was released.
    • Up x 1
  15. AntDX316

I haven't seen a hacker in a while. The pops don't drop entirely because of the hackers. It's people devoted a lot of their efforts into trying to win an alert, Half the people in a full platoon usually log out unless something else is happening like lets all pull armor after a 5-10 minute break where people have something to look forward to. It gets tired trying to win but later on after the energy levels rise again, we have to play.

Usually around 11AM-4PM ET my Platoons get full quick. Around like 6PM-11PM people hardly join my squad anymore because there are many other squads to join. Every time I think "it will never get full" during those mid-day times it does. We got voice and other things going. Some people stay for back to back to back to back alerts. When you feel you gotta log because it's tiring, you need to.

There are sooo many bases in the game it's impossible to compare it to any other game. Every base can be treated like One map in other games. You can redeploy out and into Another continent where you pretty much have 400+ bases to choose from. Meaning, it could get really tiring for some as it's overwhelming. Other people play the other games a lot more probably because it's easier on their minds. I'm not saying there should be less bases, imo the more and more options the better, I just mean people need to see it differently than finding reasons why people are logging out without looking at the multitude of options available that could the main reason the pop is "dropping". I just think people log on later. Probably why a lot of people preferred Bio Labs is they didn't have to worry about "redeploying" a lot of times. They just stay in 1 base and cap points.

Back to the hacking, perhaps they are on top of the hackers as we hardly see them. Just because there are no status indicators saying how many people are on it and who is getting banned in a real-time API website on https://ps2.fisu.pw/ (which should happen) doesn't mean they exist and nothing is being done about it.

Sure though, the hackers can kill some people's high KD integrity with kill taint discouraging from ever playing the game as frustration has been induced. There are people who care about KD and nothing else. My perspective is I just keep respawning or spawn somewhere else so I don't care about the hacking too much as long as they aren't everywhere.

oh yeah and another big reason why the population can die fast is if platoons get disbanded. If people don't have another big platoon to join, they just log. Usually in big platoons some sort of coordination is still occurring even if it's comprised of people from many outfits and no outfits. We are still highly-effective at winning a current alert this way.

People need a reason to feel motivating in staying online. Alerts they feel they can win can do this, group drives can do this, and any other reason they feel they can win near immediately or help towards. Hacking rejects this and if enough times people just log which is why some sort of anti-hacking operation has to happen at DBG of course.
  16. Mocheezy

Like it or not there is no real way to stop cheaters. Any action is always reactionary, and until real AI comes out that can smartly monitor every single player at all times, then there will always be the ability to cheat.

You would likely be shocked at the amount of closet cheaters every game has, as long as humans have ego, some of them will cheat.

This is present in every single FPS game, on both PC and console now, and there is no way to combat it. Just enjoy the game in spite of it, or if you can't then play only single player games, or games where cheating less of a problem (FPS games are the worst since the client MUST know certain information to deliver a smooth experience).
  17. Demigan

"There might be bugs" is the worst justification. You can say about literally anything that gets added "it might have bugs so dont add it". Oshur? "Might have bugs". Alerts? "Might have bugs". Continental capture system? "Might have bugs". Construction? "Might have bugs".

Considering that the altitude meter on aircraft does not seem bugged at all its stupid to assume that suddenly it would, and this measure could eliminate some blatant cheaters which is good for everyone except the cheaters... which begs the question, why are you protecting cheaters?
  18. Johannes Kaiser

BUgs are a reality of games. Fear of them should never stifle new content. They will have to be fixed, though.