Does the lasher lash?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Avrien, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Avrien

Does the lasher do damage as it passes enemies still or does it only do splash damage on hit of a solid object?

If not please return it's lash damage as it flies.
  2. Liewec123

I don't remember it ever having that kind of 'pass by' effect,
    Iirc it has always just fired projectiles that explode on impact to deal direct damage and splash damage.
    Was this 'lashing' a planetside 1 thing?
  3. Avrien

Yea, that was the planetside 1 version. I thought this one did also. It was part of it's stopping power. With how powerful the NC/TR weapons are I'm surprised it doesn't have it. It would help counter them if it could splash/lash sideways.

I think the original game was only 25 lash damage. If they put that back it might help the lasher act as a heavy assault and not just suppression. Even with a small 25 damage per orb per target once. That is what gave it the name lasher. Because it lashed. If it's there but tiny maybe making a small distance lash that goes out 5-10m as it passes. It could be an effect of the splash damage but it hits things as it goes by. Then if it splashes it gets another splash damage.

Edit: Actually, it does have indirect damage but only out to 3 meters. It says 25 damage. Maybe if it went back to 5 meters. That weapon needs some love.

I have an idea. What if the old lasher stays at 3 m lash(assuming it has any) and the pay one goes to 5 meters to make it worth buying. Actually, I think that is the splash damage. I think it needs a second lash damage. Then it does up to 3 damage types. Direct, indirect, lash. lash is 25 constantly. indirect can be reduced if needed from 75-25 to 50-25. and direct can stay the same.

Direct Damage: 155/10m - 105/65m
    Indirect Damage: 50/1m - 25/3m (5m on pay version.) (currently 75/1m - 25/3m)
    Lash Damage: 25 1m - 25/3m (5m on pay version.)

This would give more staying power. And just by moving the damage around a bit.

And this might help balance it out a bit: "Enemies closer than 5 meters from the shooter will not be lashed by near misses." From the PS 1 PSforever wiki. Maybe if lash goes away at something like 10 meters for ps2. Actually twice the lash distance. So the basic is 3/6 and the payed version is 5/10. That way it has a draw back. If not 3 times the lash. 3/9 and 5/15.

Edit2:
    The old one felt more powerful the the current version:

http://wiki.psforever.net/wiki/Lasher Can't find the base damage.

On another side note. The punisher doesn't have it grenade launcher. It was a mini thumper with single grenades and small ammo. Actually ammo was in the inventory so you could pack as much as you want. But it was good to have as you could hold more than normal grenades. even if it weakened the damage of the grenades but gave you 12 or so it would be nice.
  4. Pikachu

Make lasher lash again!

[IMG]
  5. JibbaJabba

It has an enlarged projectile size, yes. You can still damage people at the edge of cover with it, even if it does not actually impact the cover or the nearby ground.

It still "lashes".

The real way to use it is to leverage the splash damage from the impact though. That radius is huge, most of a doorway.
  6. MonnyMoony

On a slight side note - I never played PS1, but some things from the video posted above struck me.

The PS1 world seems much more dynamic than PS2. From the openable and closeable doors, the rotating radar tower (at 2:43), the animated console screens (at 4:45), rotating ceiling beacons (at 6:26) - even the interior lighting looks more moody and utilitarian, especially in the corridor at 6:55. The interior settings also appear much more varied.

Whist PS2's graphics are clearly better, the PS2 world looks largely static and the buildings very samey by comparison.
  7. BorgUK1of9

Very much so, infiltrators could hack enemy vehicles and take them. So locked down prowlers with shields could be countered. More empire specific vehicles, more generic vehicles, BFR's and artillery, I could go on. There was more gameplay but less eye candy but the game was released in 2003. It would have lasted longer if not for some very bad decisions by SOE at the time, hence the PS2 restart.

Each empire felt more separate, you could get behind the ideology, it got lost on PS2. Players were very loyal to their empire.

Command structure wasn't right but still 10x better than PS2's, they made it worse not improved. Bring back CR5's.

You had arm badges which were customised based on achievements, gave you a specific look.

In fact if you look at the huge drop in players just 12 months after PS2 release you could see SOE didn't get it right.

Graphics better, rest not so.

Magrider and Lasher crap v PS1. No Thresher which was a fun 2 man vehicle.

To be fair to Daybreak, far better at PS2 than SOE were in regard to development. Need to get a handle on the hacking though.
  8. Pikachu

There's something about the PS1 building design that makes it feel less gamey than that of PS2. PS2 buildings feel like steel boxes filled with steel crates that were built for death match.