Battleye/Fanatec BSOD Workaround?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpitterSputz, Jan 28, 2022.

1. SpitterSputz

100% of the time, no matter how many times I've rebooted or not, if I start PlanetSide 2 after powering up my wheel I get a BSOD. Kernel security something or other.

100% or the time, no matter how many times I've rebooted or not, if I start PS2 post BSOD, having not used the Fanatec wheel since the last time I played PS2, it starts without any problem.

I have quit practicing for races because BSOD eats software on it's way out. I reload the C drive from capsule once a month or when carked by corruption. It's a pain so I don't use iRacing when I would like to. It comes down to PS2 vs iRacing and I would rather not have to choose. As it turns out, the way I am doing it, one BSOD per week, has led to iRacing usage that just isn't worth pursuing. I feel rushed, underpracticed, unprepared, and frustrated.

I have tried killing Fanatec services to no avail. Run battleye and PS2 as admin, nothing. Tried to disable Driver Verifier, it wasn't enabled. Battleye themselves won't even acknowledge the problem which has been known for years. I haven't bugged Thomas yet because I can't see how it's his problem, Fanatec doesn't seem to conflict with anything else.

Best of all: warpers and aimbotters run rampant on the PS2 servers. Yay....

I want to reup my Daybreak membership, but really can't rationalize paying for BSODs. PS2 are the only BSODs I've ever had on this rig. And I do audio and video editing daily.
  2. SpitterSputz

I didn't make it very obvious, but I'm asking if anyone else has had and solved this problem.

(I can't figure out how to edit the OP. I presume the button is right in front of my face and I'm just being dim.)

(Also, I find it disconcerting that someone else did, apparently, edit the post?)
  3. JustGotSuspended

The guy who edited it is the CM, works for DBG. Probably edited something considered offensive or whatever. For some reason you're only able to edit your posts up to 30 mins after the post time. So it's likely you're not seeing the button because after 30 mins it disappeared, you can't edit.
  4. JustGotSuspended

Actually I'm not sure if you've figured it out yet but bypassing battleeye is actually pretty difficult -and any hacker will tell you this. It's not impossible but t's definitely enough to deter most people who don't have an idea of what they're doing from running scripts. There's only a couple people who've bypassed it and cheat. Fewer cheat actively. Most of the time it's just one dude going from server to server creating new accounts every hour or so after he's banned, for a week or so until he gets bored. So rampant....yeah no dude.

Best solution I can tell you is don't use a wheel? Just play planetside normally? I don't think the game's meant to be played like that so it likely doesn't support it. Definitely the first person I've ever seen have this issue, if it is caused by battleeye you're going to have to find a workaround yourself, which likely would amount to you getting banned after a while if you bypass it. And you're going to have a headache if you don't know what you're doing, and it's obvious by the amount of cheaters in this game that no one sells their personal workarounds for that.

So good luck, but it'd advise you to just play the game regularly, and use the wheel only for racing games.
  5. JibbaJabba

That fanatek is going to have a kernel mode component (some driver...likely loaded at boot) and a user mode component (likely loaded on demand) that then talks to the kernel component. If the developers are using up to date documented API calls in windows things should be ok. If they are hacking it out to get it to work...sure it may but stuff like this will come up. Don't assume fanatek is innocent here.

Battle eye is going to be watching for hooks where one process gets into the memory of another, and/or hooks API calls. It's also going to ask the OS for lists of loaded modules by other applications. It's both looking for something similar to what the fanatek is doing as well as actually doing the thing fanatek is doing. There is the possibility of bumping heads on some resource lock or something.

It should NOT BSOD a machine if done right but here we are...

Stuff to try:
    Reverse engineer the launch of the user mode component of fanatek. Open detail tab on task manager, then do something with your wheel and see what new process appears.
    You should also be able to exit the user mode component without rebooting. Kill in task manager if no UI option.
    Make sure you are using the latest driver for the fanatek (the kernel component).
    Possibly try the Beta drivers mentioned on their site.
    For the user mode component you can try running it NOT as admin.
    Exclude fanatek, PS2, and battleeye processes from your AV software. One less hook may be helpful.

Note: If you feel like posting a kernel or minidump on a share somewhere I'll run it through windbgx and have a peek. Just PM me, it's a thing I do. I've got the microsoft symbols but not theirs. still may find some suprise in the stacks. If you have no idea what I just said, don't worry about it.
  6. VeryCoolMiller

are you sure is a software issue ? did you try to check you sistem with software like occt ?