Flying max hacker

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Garte, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Garte

This is not the first time I have seen hacked flying max's killing through walls and spawn rooms. Everyone leaves the area as you cannot kill the hacker and so we lose the zone. I have unsubbed and will return to free to play, I refuse to pay when the anti cheat in this game is a joke. It makes me wonder how many people are using hacks.
    • Up x 8
  2. shy

Real annoying the last days. Everytime i log in there is this flying TR max. Always a new account.
    Ruining fights for multiple hours until a DEV reacts and bans him.
    • Up x 1
  3. MonnyMoony

It's crazy that the game can't auto-detect stuff like this and apply a weapons lock until a Dev can investigate. You get weapon locked for hitting a few friendlies accidentally - but you can go on a flying Max killing spree for hours without the game taking any action whatsoever?

Surely it can't be beyond the game's capabilities to have "out of bounds" areas for certain units. No unit aside from LA and aircraft should be able to legitimately remain suspended above the surface for more than a few seconds.

All units should have a maximum theoretical speed of travel, any unit travelling faster should be weapon locked.

No unit should be able to be legitimately inside the wall of a building or underneath terrain. Why cant such areas have pain fields, like spawn rooms have? Why cant these have "no deployable" zones within them to prevent routers being placed.

There must be a maximum theoretical legitimate K/D, kill rate or a maximum reasonable rate of progression - especially if it is sustained for a significant period of time.

Can it be that difficult to have the game detect if people are being killed through walls, inside spawn rooms or behind spawn shields. Why can't walls block projectiles from both directions (meaning even if you do get clipped behind a wall or under terrain - you couldn't shoot out anyway).
    • Up x 1
  4. Bourraf

There is a guy doing it on Cobalt for at least the last 7 days, every single day.

Daybreak, fixes it, or admit your game is unplayable and refund your suscribers pls.
  5. Jack Jackson

WHY IS Planetside peronell silent? We dont want a general "We are looking in this issue..." its costing us money when we have to logg off since cant win against hacker.

Please comment onm this thread what has been EXACTLY done ? The report system is a joke there is no automation behind it, it seems to need a real person to take the action. Maka automation if 20 players report a player you suspend that account untill further investigation has been done!

Unsubbed for real, act and communicate to us players this is unacceptable!
  6. Stopper

Every day this bastard is ruining my game and I pay for that game !

Every infantry fight is already ruined by tanks and harassers and now hackers with flying max and auto-aim cheat !!!
  7. JustGotSuspended

Well actually yes. Remember the game doesn't see what you're seeing, so it's not as blatantly obvious. On top of that the game runs clientside, which makes it all the more complicated to check for this sort of stuff.

Here's a cool example I found of someone trying to figure this stuff out for a small game they created.

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/client-side-collision-detection/1293668/16

You'll notice as simple as the issue sounds, they go on for while and their solution ends up being to check hits on both server and client, to ensure there isn't too much disparity between the two.

Now I'm not too familiar with how Planetside 2 uses it's servers and I have no idea if this information's available online, but I found an interesting thread that touches a little on that:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/70u6h8/how_do_planetside_2_servers_work/

In any case, the game was designed to run server-side to maximize the scalability. This however brings about issues like the one's discussed in the first link I sent about the guy trying to determine the best hitreg for his game. Since the thing runs clientside, it's easier to exploit it, either through scripts or lag or whatever. The server does check timestamps and other basics but the majority of the work is done from the client. It's like you're sending sealed letters and the server is just weighing them and making sure the address/contact info on the letter is real. It's not opening and examining what's in those letters for one simple reason: performance.

In the first example I sent, the scale of the game means that although it does impact performance and increase costs, it's not enough to justify relying only on the client and so server and client validation can work together. Planetside 2 on the other hand has never really had the choice. Even now it'd be near impossible to run the game server-side, assuming cost isn't even a factor. There's just way too much the servers would have to calculate and the game wouldn't be playable.

While someone from the devs side would need to clarify and expand on this, what you're asking for isn't as easy as it seems.

As for the KPM/KDR limit...well it's not that easy either. How would you calculate the maximum theoretical KDR/KPM in a game where you can have 1000+ players in one hex, have one dude drop 2 nukes while in his max/vehicle with 50 teammates repairing him...Like there's so many possibilities and good players out there the theoretical threshold would probably higher than any hacker's reached. Even with the aimbot flying cheats or whatever I've seen legit players doing better than the cheater.

Terrain and position issue is also something hard to check on a game this scale. Remember servers still struggle now, and are sometimes barely playable in large fights. Adding stuff to check if a player or their weapon is colliding with something or whatever is adding more load and reducing performance.

Now sure those people are few enough to justify rules around auto-banning their account, and the possibility of someone reaching those thresholds so rare that it could justify autobanning them by accident. But remember what happened when they tested an autoban a few years back? Few players started new accounts and competed to get banned by the system, then complained they were getting auto-banned while playing legit and started a reddit war to remove the thing.

It's not so much an issue as can it be done. The issue is the cost in terms of performance, money and community reaction. I wouldn't justify losing even more server stability to be able to autoban the one dude that logs on to cheat once a year.

No honestly the simplest solution I'd say is to charge players who create new accounts. Cheaters already get banned pretty fast, what's needed is something to prevent them from spamming new accounts at now cost. As soon as they add some sort of monetary cost associated to the creation of an account, cheating will be reduced, without affecting any of the current playerbase.
  8. JustGotSuspended

Of course any explanation from the devs would be valuable in understanding how the game works and the limitations of implementing such systems.
  9. FLHuk

I guess the biggest issue is what we had. They hoped for enough resources for the entire lifetime of the title. This set the system we have now and why it doesn't work.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/soe-pres...de-2s-future-free-to-play-and-everquest-next/
  10. JustGotSuspended

Eh if we're being fair the system works, if we're talking about quickly identifying and banning cheaters. For whatever reason, whichever mods are taking care of that have been doing a really great job, sure there aren't many cheaters to ban, but the number of reports they must be getting each day is insane yet they still manage to ban most cheaters in an hour, few have lasted a day. Yeah the fact it relies on players reporting and humans investigating doesn't make it the most efficient. This is why ideas like giving a few trustworthy players direct access to the devs to submit high priority reports are good. Simple, cost effective solutions that build to improve the system that already works wonders.

No the issue really isn't so much in how the cheaters are dealt with. The problem is due to the game's free to play nature, and the fact it's pretty much impossible to remotely ban known cheaters from making new accounts, the cheaters are able to immediately resume their activities if they wish. Effectively the mods are doing their job, but it's meaningless. It's like cops arresting criminals and putting them in jail, but the criminals are released upon arrival.

What we need is some sort of method to stop the spam of free accounts. Something that associates a cost with cheating. This we don't have. And so we could have the most effective anti-cheat system in the world, it still wouldn't matter because the few people that do cheat could continue to do so as much as they feel like creating new accounts.
  11. FLHuk

Under the the current system. I agree with you it was often within an hour, sometimes more, sometimes less.

You instantly agree, concede "few have lasted a day".

Personally I don't feel that works well enough but agree there's no better solution without more staff, resources. This sets the cycle we're in.
  12. OpolE

In Planetside 1 people used to pull hack your character in the air in front of them but you never saw the enemy so you died in a corridor. You are very lucky to have a chance to kill the hacker seen in front of you.

SOE/DBG will never get a grip on this. We all know that from planetside 1