[Suggestion] Buff the Railjack

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scroffel5, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Scroffel5

I use the Railjack a lot, and to me, it feels underwhelming and less versatile than the other ESSRs. The Phaseshift has infinite ammo, a charge up mechanic, and can just go semi auto to finish off people. The Trap is a scout rifle from what I can see, but it does have the ability to end anyone (save Overshielded Heavies) in 3 shots to the head, so I guess that's something. The Railjack feels like its just any other snipers, but its bullet is kinda fast. It feels like it should be a really long range sniper in a game where that scenario doesn't really present itself often. It feels like it should be a really good sniper if you can adjust your shot after you have "fired", but if you miss, you are really punished by it. Also, you have to stand still for 0.2 seconds so your shot stays accurate, which means you have to stand still for longer in order to get a good shot off, which is very unhelpful in countersniping situations. And that rechamber and reload time are so long, paired with a low ammo count. At least the damage is good.

I'm not going to suggest to add the shotgun mode it was intended to have, in order to make it more versatile. No, I just want it to be a good sniper if thats all its going to be. Either raise the damage so we can snipe ALL infantry from very far range with 1 headshot (I left a dude at 3 HP after sniping him while he was sitting in the back seat of a harasser, just for him to tell his squad where he got shot from and proceed to chase me down), make it COMPLETELY accurate while moving, so that you are able to move during that shot delay without throwing off your shot, increase the reload speed (we only get 4 shots after all), or let us load one shot at a time, just like a shotgun. Please note I am saying OR, as in "choose one". Not all of these need to be added, because I am pretty sure that will unbalance the weapon, at least in the eyes of the other faction.

What do you guys think? Are any of these buffs too much? Are there any buffs you'd like to see?
  2. Scroffel5

Ignore the "charge up mechanic" remark. Phaseshift doesn't do that anymore.
  3. RRRIV

honestly, the reason the railjack isn't that good anymore is because long range sniping died with killcams. The RJ is on par with aurax snipers, but why utilize its high velocity and long range when someone can see where you are after death and revenge snipe or revenge esf you?

one idea ive had to fix that is make suppressors useful on base 6x zoom (scoped) snipers. suppressor gives the old kill cam cone of direction. considering that RJ has nasty high velocity, it wont be as affected as other snipers in its class. if the RJ still underperforms then, i'd agree to the reload speed buff.

also, TRAP cant 1 tap. if it could, you would see it as often or more so than the diyamo. i would know, i auraxed the damn thing.
  4. Scroffel5

Oh, then I guess the TRAP wiki is wrong. It said 3 headshots at all ranges. And thats a good suggestion. Thank you.
  5. Demigan

Honestly who believes this? Unless you are of the lowest of the lowest and just stay at your position all the time and never bother to do anything to protect yourself you deserve to die. And with a long-range sniper you should have some capability to pick a spot where you can spot enemies before they reach you if you pay attention. I guess you dont do that, ever.

The railjack being on par with aurax snipers? Thats laughable. For example:
    https://voidwell.com/ps2/oracle?sta...,7301&startDate=2020-12-01&endDate=2021-11-30

As for "why utilize its velocity and range". Well because you can do this magical thing called "moving" and "thinking about the information you leave behind". If someone wants to waste an entire ESF on me then I'm fine with that, especially since they wont find me on my old spot. Even a "revenge sniper" can be thrown off by not constantly popping up at the same part of the cover and by cloaking and hiding after each shot, and if you actually move farther you can even find and snipe them in return while they futilely search your old spot. Best yet is you can discourage people from looking for you: shoot a few people, move to an area that overlooks likely approaches to your old position. While the enemy is looking at your old spot they dont pay as much attention to a flank from the side or rear, where a sniper can be powerful (unless you are one of those snipers who can only shoot unmoving targets, then I say you should be happy with any kill you get while sniping and accept any death thereafter).

The deathcam is only a nightmare for players who want sniping to be ultra-easymode with virtually no risk. Even then sniping is still an extremely easy tool to rack up some kills before dying to someone who tries to counter you.
  6. Liewec123

Imho it should have no bullet drop, yeah yeah I know that is traditionally a VS exclusive thing,
    but VS keep getting given TR and NC faction specific traits so why not?!
    It's a rail gun after all, charge up and then blast a super fast projectile with no drop.
    • Up x 4
  7. Demigan

I always hoped that the railjack (or NC railguns in general) got a charge-up ability. You get the choice between high ROF and DPS or charging up for lower ROF and DPS, but more damage per shot. Charging could increase projectile velocity and allow for special abilities to activate, like penetrating multiple opponents or causing a debilitating effect on the enemy. As a drawback you have to become visible while charging up. Since it's a long-range weapon that shouldn't be too much of a problem most of the time (at least for players who don't stick to the same spot all the time).
    This solves the problem of the charge-up before firing as well, since you could charge-up and simply fire when you release the trigger (you can hold the charged up weapon rather than it automatically firing, this was available on the PTS Magrider secondary gun), giving you the ability to fire when you want rather than predict in time where your enemy will be when the bullet releases and what bullet lead you need at that point in time.
    • Up x 1
  8. Unlimited

Honestly this is an idea i can get behind. Having used the Railjack quite a bit myself and being quite decent with it, it having so much drop for being a railgun was the most annoying thing about it.
    It certainly has a lot of drawbacks over just your Longshot, namely the fact you have to already expose yourself for longer and stand still longer than you have to normally you are more easily countersniped even if that timeframe is only a fraction of a second. However it is also a lot of fun to use, the delay makes it actually quite effective in close combat and also makes it basically the only weapon that you can accurately "Quickscope" like you can snipers in other shooters. Personally i found myself having the most success with the weapon when just apeing the f*ck out and shooting at everything and everyone, shooting as quickly as possible after scopeing without having to always directly track the head using that massive damage advantage.

So honestly i wouldn't be opposed to the thing getting a buff like no/less bulletdrop for it's troubles but i think i wouldn't touch the core mechanics of it.
    • Up x 3
  9. Scroffel5

Yeah I don't want the core mechanics to be changes. We just need a little buff here and there to be competitive with the other ESSRs' usages.