VR Training request

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Cakerulez, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Cakerulez

I want moving targets to practice on, and vehicles roaming around would be nice too especially aircraft so i can practice on easier targets. Not gettin much chance to practice in a real fight too busy getting meh *** kicked.
    • Up x 1
  2. LordAnnihilator

I've been over this on another thread. Namely, making moving targets requires AI coding, which is not easy to cook up. It definitely wouldn't look natural, and it wouldn't be realistic anyway because you wouldn't be able to implement any kind of randomness. It would also suffer significantly if any great number of people went into VR. And between people being shunted to VR by a closing continent and the hackers currently spawning VR props all over maps, it would be very easy to suffer.

Its not a bad idea by any means, and if they can make it work I'm all for it. But it is a heck of a lot of work thats very easy to screw up.
  3. InexoraVC

I had some time developing bots for Unreal Tournament series games. You know it isn't complex if we're talking about just moving/jumping not avoiding/attacking. It'll take about couple of days to do that even without the unreal engine :)
  4. LordAnnihilator

Hmm. I'll take your word for it, since I don't have any experience making AI any more complex than robots following lines. But given there hasn't been any AI added in the games 9 year run - despite the fact I can safely assume moving dummies is and has been a request made since the moment VR training came to be - I'm going to go ahead and assume there's a fair bit more going on, and its not as simple as hiring someone to write up a bot script.

Given how buggy and spaghetti-like the code apparently is, its not a difficult assumption to make. I mean, I'm 90% sure the Super Soaker heavy weapon is actually classified as a shotgun by the game (So everyone except infils can equip it) because a friend can use it in the secondary slot with shotgun secondary ASP. Moving bots in a game this messy wouldn't be easy. I mean, I would LIKE if we could have them, but I won't hold my breath.
  5. AllRoundGoodGuy

I would be fine shooting at robots following lines.