[Suggestion] The Thing about Spawn sitting

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Unlimited, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Unlimited

As many before me have noticed, Spawn Camping and Players being too afraid to actually leave the Spawn is still a massive Problem ever since the Launch of the game. So i Suggest that instead of changing anything about weapons or adding any more AV or AA options we instead grant Squad/Platoon Leaders the Option to shout out actual "Ingame" Orders.

One of those could be "CHARGE!" for example.
    A squad leader would from the menu invoke the Order, which would give all players within a small radius a Promt and a Countdown after which all those Players would get a Boost to Movement speed and Resistance to Small arms and Explosives (Which stack with their respective suit slots) for a couple of Seconds allowing that group to at least momentarily break open the fight again.
    I feel like a direct unified instruction would in itself help many players especially inexperienced ones to gain the confidence to leave the spawn while the short buff would allow the to survive the ground pounding and Bulletstorm.

This isnt a Groundbreaking idea or even new for that matter but i just felt like pointing it out once more.
    Any opinions?
    • Up x 1
  2. Drgnx

Spawn camping and spawn sitting are normally associated with Zergs (or large outpops), when they learn to deal with Zergs, you will see less of the other two issues.
  3. JibbaJabba

I'd be worried about two things:
    1. Nobody would charge.
    2. Everyone would misuse the crap out of it.

Most people sit in spawn because they are too dumb to redeploy and too chicken to make a push. Oh and infiltrators of course. Just getting their useless cheese on as always..
  4. Unlimited

The thing is, you can't expect that everybody suddenly know how to deal with Zerging.
  5. Unlimited

1. I Disagree, the thing that players in Spawn Rooms lack is coordination, i belive the Coordinated Promt alone would be a great help and adding a small buff to it would really sell it i think.
    2. I can certainly see where you are coming from, the fear of it being abused and i had the same thoughts, but i feel like a *short* like only a couple seconds to be able to get into the next cover for example that can be only used inside of spawn rooms would really not cause that many issues.
  6. Demigan

I would argue that it's because the spawnroom isn't designed to retake the base from. It's a chokepoint you have to cross as defender, rather than the bastion from which you can assault the attackers and get a solid foothold again. We see the exact same happen at any type of chokepoint, where players hold back on assaulting until a certain amount of players is reached or enough players push through the opening. The problem is that once you are holed up in your spawnroom you have mere minutes to really retake your base.
    Spawncampers only really happen when there's people trying to farm the spawn.

Rather than push for squadleaders to get another tool without actually giving the playerbase something, we should be looking at making Spawnbunkers the most important place to retake the base from. When all points are in the control of the defenders the spawnbunker should simply be extremely easy to push out off into the surrounding area and have plenty of access to places in the base. When all points are captured and enemies are within a certain distance of the spawnbunker it should go into overdrive, giving players access to some powerful support powers and capabilities. Like ANVIL spawning, launching themselves with a Droppod into the base, a small FOB opening up giving access to some basic defenses like trenches and turrets while it functions as a second spawn+vehicle spawning system etc.
  7. bluebard

IMO this feature can be useful when there is serious reinforcement of troops.
    I think this feature will be better if only platoon leader can use it.
  8. Blue_Lion

Part of the issue is that when you are being spawn camped the other side is in a better position to hold you. It is the same issue with charging from trench to trench. Basically the attacking force over ran the defending force and now is is position with cover and medics to make it hard to get out. Often not just just infantry but ground and air vehicles set to grind up the fresh meat. maybe a max crash would work but it may not. Heck Light assault and infiltrators have a hard time getting out of spawn camps and out maneuvering is kind of their thing.

What is needed is something to clear the attackers out and allow defenders to move.
    The other option would be when that happens fall back a base and set up a defensive line or pull armor/air.
  9. Drgnx

Ha! I meant the developers.
  10. Blue_Lion

What can they do about it other than put a limit on the number of people?
  11. Drgnx

If I knew, I'd be doing their job or being their boss.
    I was just speaking generally.
  12. Blue_Lion

I do not see anything they can do to stop it, A force has to respond and stop them.
    I suppose they could add bots to a under poped side in a fight but then you have bots.
    • Up x 2
  13. DarkStarAnubis

Depending on base design (which is usually bad) if the firefight is around the spawn-room it usually means the base is lost and people on both sides are just waiting for the timer to expire...
  14. Money

At this point, I feel like zerging is the game. How fast can your team amass at an enemy base before the enemy can counter with numbers to stop them. At least during primetime, that is kind of how alerts go.
  15. Demigan

You could do loads of stuff which can be combined to reduce the want to Zerg.

- lower resource costs for outnumbered players. This benefit slowly increases and decreases once you start being outnumbered so it does not offer players some massive advantage by quickly recuperating their items at an outnumbered fight before returning somewhere else.
    - change the rules of the capture as you get more outnumbered. For example an attrition mechanic where the defenders could start adding time to the capture timer for kills and vehicle destructions, allowing players to stop a Zerg without taking the points.
    - players could get (greater) access to various advantages the more they are outnumbered. For example players get access to resource-costing ANVIL's at increasing ranges from the spawn the more outnumbered they are. They could also get access to a drop-pod terminal in the spawn that allows you to drop-pod into an area around the spawn, the more outnumbered you are the farther you can drop.
    - add a small catacomb system inside spawnrooms with a damageable SCU near the end. If an overpop is present of a certain magnitude the capture will not actually complete until the attackers have fought their way into the spawn and into the catacombs below where they destroy the SCU. Additional spawns are located in the catacombs for the defenders, and the entire area is extremely heavily in favor for the defenders making it a gauntlet to take. That means AI turrets could be located inside these tunnels and make chokepoints zones of death to cross, hallways could be pumped full with a limited amount of "gas" to create a painfield for enemies that cross it, cover is in favor of the defenders etc. This combines nicely with the attrition idea.
    - reduced spawn timers the more outnumbered you are.
    - support powers activate when outnumbered. For example every 20 to 30 seconds all defenders get a short duration overshield. This countdown is visible to the defenders alone and somewhat randomized so the attackers cannot guess. More outnumbered means more overshield received. This ca easily be varied to having health&shield restored, or giving players access to support powers that suppress enemies like an EMP orbital strike to make all enemies within an area vulnerable. The best defense against that would naturally be to not put too many players in the same building or area which helps the players fight off a Zerg.

There's probably dozens more ideas you could create if you put your mind to it. The goal should always be: make it easier for the defenders to defend, not punish attackers for bringing lots of people.
  16. Tapa6ac

Quite another thing happens: A gang of veterans mock newcomers for ratings. They try to leave the house and do something there, they are killed, and this is the main goal there. Until the end, no one cares about the base, they will quickly take it back. Tanks hit with land mines, planes and so on with everything they can. murder for the sake of murder. Exactly the same bastards, without leaving the house, kill those who eat new ones. A guy with a fenx for the same siege, standing in a house, will kill 30-50 snipers and a lot of drivers. And the capture of the base is indifferent to him. If factions 1 and 2 "fight" for the base, then a third party will participate in this participation, including for the sake of the rating. You can greatly improve the game simply by removing stats and ratings.

If the siege retreats to a hex and comes to beat the zerg in the back, they will not understand him: in the chat they shout "interfere with the farming of points"
  17. Blue_Lion

-Reducing the cost to pull tanks does not help if you are over run and can't get to the spawn point. So really will not help against a zerg.
    -increasing the time to take less defended bases will lead to platoons leaving to increase the other platoons time to take. -counter flow. Also I do not trust the staff to code in a way that will allow specific events to add time.
    -Running into a pain field to fight have to go threw a pain field catagomes that basically kill you before you reach the goal to destroy an SCU basically making a base impossible to capture. Would lead to defending with out devoting people to defend. IE platoons not doing defense.
    -Do not think spawn times will help with the zerg, the zerg force can just use medics to rez.
    -If you make it so a small force can easily defend against a larger force the meta then would be not to fight defense with your platoon but use a handful of people to defend against a large fight. Ending platoon on platoon fights. If my platoon is not needed to move to counter a platoon why would I move it.

Any system made would be subject to exploitation. You have to look at how people would exploit it and determine if that would be a worse problem than the one you are addressing. -make the game no fun and it dies.
  18. Demigan

Did I say "vehicles" or did I say "lower resource costs"? If you can throw more grenades and have easier access to MAX's and vehicles you can more easily use those force multipliers, and losing them to the overpop is less devastating.

I specifically said the system would need to slowly increase over time specifically to counter defenders leaving and giving the remaining defenders a sudden boost/punishing the attackers. Yet you still try to make this your point?

I do not trust you to give objective arguments to me, you would oppose 1+1=2 if I said it.

Again a pathetic reaction. The painfields can be of different strengths and of different sizes. You ofcourse automatically assume the scenario's that would not work and present it as the only solution. Pathetic.

You wrote this down and didn't see anything wrong with it?
    -zergers have medics to reduce spawntimers (although not necessarily).
    -defenders can't use Medics that effectively, which is exactly why shortening the spawn times would help them equalize it a bit. As I already mentioned these ideas arent meant to solve it all by themselves.

The idea is not to let the defenders win automatically, but to slow down large overpops and let Zergs lose their power. You just said that you couldn't find a solution to Zergs but noe that I point some out you suddenly try to preserve Zerging? And why are you only viewing it from a squad/platoon perspective?

Yes any system would be subject to exploitation, like letting Zergs and no-skill "teamwork" be the most effective tool in the game. Better use something which at worst encourages a platoon to split up and divide its forces properly on the map instead of zerging a single base.

Again your reactions are pathetic. You are against the ideas because they are mine, not because of their effects.
  19. Blue_Lion

If you can not see objective arguments in people that disagree with you that is more a problem with you than me.

If you are zerged and spawn camped adding to the time for actions would be pointless to the problem of being zerged. IE you can't really get out and fight to do the things that will add to the time. So to counter it would need to happen automatically when out numbered, that leads to platoons leaving.

Worse still badly implemented time a platoon can ignore a base un till it is about to flip and they have max bonus and redeploy and stop the cap crush the attack force and their spawns before they loose the bonus.

Making so you can hold off a larger force with a smaller force would kill large battles for anything other than farm fights that cost alerts.
  20. Blue_Lion

While I can understand the frustration of being on a zerg there is a paradox. If you make it so large force can be held off by a smaller force, you discourage all large fights outside off the 1 farm fight that the admin keep working to discourage. If you encourage large fights then the farm fight becomes more popular and base capping will suffer. -either way base capping be pushed from prime time meta.