[Suggestion] Magnetizing the edges of walls during construction.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RiP0k, May 16, 2021.

1. RiP0k

It would be great if you magnetize the edges of walls and gates with a shield so that there is no gap to simplify and speed up construction.[IMG][/URL][IMG][/IMG]
    • Up x 8
  2. Whiteagle

I believe the Game Jargon term for this is "Snap To Edge."
    • Up x 1
  3. RiP0k

And yes, as wrote on the reddit MetalMettle666, preferably with the ability to adjust the height.
    • Up x 2
  4. karlooo

A tool for snapping together and rotating walls is the last thing we need. Sorry for starting this way but I just don't trust the devs, I must highlight sentences for them, just in case, like for some kindergarteners.

Connecting walls and designing the base properly requires practice, it then becomes effortlessly easy.
    You receive a skill others cannot get without playing the role regularly.

And this is exactly what the game must support IMO, specialization (I'll get back to this). Planetside 2 is all about infantry vs infantry, everything else is part of its own minigame, which has close to 0 impact on the objective. That's why people call construction players minecraft players because you build just for the sake of building. Designing a base in the frontline for support, is equivalent to constructing a Ramp on top of an Amerish mountain top.
    (Construction and vehicles need limits but that's a whole different topic)

Why did I mention specialization? The devs and the community have been "focusing" on the new player experience topic. It is believed that the game would be thriving with players if the newcomers wouldn't have left due to a bad first impression. Daily mission concepts, and cert boosts in general, are an absolutely miserable attempt to solve this issue, like a homeless drug addict begging for money.

What kept you, for example in a MOBA game, or some MMORPG like World of Warcraft...to advance to the top? Specialization. You focused on a role you enjoyed and with it advanced to the top.
    Implants in Planetside 2, Beautiful concept which does exactly that, allows you to shape your role based on your own playstyle but the Implants that shape your class are Exception and Rare....You know how long it took me to receive a specific exceptional Implant? ****** daily cert grinding for 2 Months....Not playing the game - cert grinding. I'm sorry but these devs must be morons.
    Not only do they hide the Implants that shape your class which ultimately allow you to specialize in your favorite role, they make the implants such as Assimilate common. Implants that require the player to have the most skill and understanding of the game lol, including the PC hardware. What is a new player going to do with Assimilate? Get annihilated. How does this help new players.
    How does this have anything to do with an MMORPG? This is the the dev team's goal right?

I can continue on and on, about how these devs failed at improving the new player experience. If I were to do this, my reply would be multiple pages long.

Basically, I'm a construction player, I started off by specializing in Construction because at the time I didn't enjoy any of the infantry classes (and as well had slow performance), and what I certainly do know, is that Construction, tank warefare, aircrafts will never be part of the game's main objective, without redesigning the game.
    There is no easy way around this.
    Without removing some Call of Duty aspects and redesigning every lattice base, then nothing can be improved or successfully implemented.
  5. Ledess31

Please devs improve construction
    • Up x 1
  6. JustGotSuspended

^^^^

Agree 100%. Regardless whether people admit it or not, the game is infantry centric. A good example of this is (non-MAX) infantry classes are free, whereas vehicles cost nanites to pull. Another thing is most bases require infantry to actually capture them. As such it is not possible to actually be a vehicle main, especially as a new player. Infantry is the backbone, the main dish of the game if you will, whereas vehicles are simply sides, they aren't actually intended to be the core of gameplay.

And so it's reasonable to assume the majority of the playerbase sticks around for the infantry shooter experience. This majority of the playerbase doesn't want to use vehicles, much less grab one and scavenge around the map to mine resources. They prefer to ignore these playstyles and simply play the objective, which basically revolves solely around defensive/offensive infantry fights. Because of this vehicle and construction users are often seen as trolls. They have nothing to do with the fight/objective, nobody wants to engage with them so they just try to impact the fight from far away. Be it by building flails and construction nukes, going around in tanks killing spawns or shelling HESH at infantry from a distance, or doing multiple A2G flyby passes.

Doesn't really help that the balancing revolving infantry and vehicles and construction has always been iffy at best, but the fact there's such a separation between these things and players who are actually playing the game creates this sort of disdain for others, and prevents a true combined arms experience. Fight will always amount to infantry fighting over an objective, and then an opportunistic "troll" swoops by to try and farm some of them to scrape a few easy kills. Instead of enhancing the infantry experience, the rest of the game basically spits on it. Vehicles should either have equal importance, or no effect on infantry. Otherwise you've got the people playing the objective, the actual game who have to deal with a playerbase they deem as unskilled trolls, which are of absolutely no use to the objective, or to enhance the fun of infantry fights the majority of the playerbase looks for. In fact most vehicles/tools are designed to completely crush these sorts of fights. No wonder most infantry enthusiasts don't stick around long.

As you say the fundamental mechanics and entire basis of the game would have to be redesigned to even attempt to address this issue.
  7. RabidIBM

I would like to see this change, I don't know how hard it might be for them to program it. Karlooo, if there were a down vote I'd click it on your take on things. Adding bizarre jenkyness to a game, then calling it skill is not a good thing. That would be like having the game wiggle your mouse randomly, then say that this increases the skill required to play IVI.

Placing buildings should be as little of a headache as possible. The challenge in construction should be in anticipating where a fight will break out, and coming up with a design which provides an effective force multiplier to your own faction without dying too easily. This should not be easy to do. There should be challenges. There should NOT be random illogical "challenges" to "increase the skill". Unless you want to explain how random extra mouse wiggle would make this game require more skill to play IVI.
    • Up x 1
  8. karlooo

I don't know, I pressed ctrl+f, searched for mouse and wiggle, and only you are talking about this.

But construction. If you don't understand how or have troubles with designing a base properly without gaps, then why do you give suggestions on how should construction be played?...This is the absolute basic part, the simplest part. There are other construction subjects that are much more complex such as what you mentioned building in the frontline, beforehand, but this is something I have been attempting ever since I mained construction and what I certainly do know, is that it's close to impossible. Even in the past, before the nerfs.
    I can create a whole new thread, 50 A4 pages long about this and It won't be less because of how many problems were purposefully mounted.

I know and am 99% sure, that these "game designers" consciously damaged the construction role. They are not metally ret@rded, it was obvious the changes would cause this, I just trusted the devs in the past. I know Wrel or whoever decimated the role on purpose, to simplify balance and give the illusion of choice, and use Construction only as a money grab. That's why I always snap at the devs.

About the gaps, to properly design a base you must follow a sequence, some structures must be prioritized over others, as a simple example if you want to connect the Infantry Tower with the walls, the Infantry Tower must be the first structure placed before anything else. You place the Silo down once you have created the basic structure, when it does not hinder.