Just to let EU players know...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RevAngel, May 5, 2021.

1. RevAngel

IP 69.174.194.165

Networking and the May 5th maintenance

So. Since your maintenance on May 5th my connection with your servers went from a 40+ ping to a 80+ ping. From Germany near Nuremberg, that is.

So I was curious about what was causing this.

Well, lets just say, in general, a +100% ping response time is not good for a first person shooter game, especially on the scale PS2 is supposed to work on. You already cost reduced the PS2 EU servers a while ago, but at least kept them in the EU.

But tunnelling a game service from Amsterdam/Rotterdam to the US (San Diego)? Are you serious?

But hey, I have to consider you are cutting the costs, since less and less people are interested in playing. And with that ping on a MMOFPS game, I see a lot more leaving very soon.

I think that shows one or more of the following issues:

Either you are not interested in keeping your Europe player base.

Or you do not care enough for that base not to cost-reduce hosting service.

Or you let some money-juggling intern make the decisions.

Or some manager thought he/she has a clue about networking and found a plan that works fine AND reduce costs.

Or your network team is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over-enthusiastic.

Or apes took over daybreak.

But at least, not counting in the previous, somewhat humorous reasons, it shows me one fact (and I think you should let players know).

You are not planning to keep this game alive and running. And you are doing the same thing that SOE did to its players with PS1. Just milking the dead cow until you get bonemeal for your plants.

Well, unneeded to say, I am not OK with that.

For tech people interested, check the UDP connections (LiveTcpUdpWatch helps here) PS2 casts and pick the one with the higher traffic. Traceroute it or do a geolocation (suggested at iplocation.net - registrar date is may 1st - request is answered with two geolocations - a tunnel) and check the number of hops from your ISP upwards. You have to set the limit higher than the default hops - what is imo the reason for the bad ping time.
  2. DarkQuark

I hear what you are saying but on the face of it doing what you claim they did does not make any sense to me.

I don't see how hosting servers in the US vs the UK really saves any cash and maybe the little bit it would save would cause massive latency issues in a twitchy shooter that is latency sensitive. Fiber or not, crossing the ocean and back takes some time.

Are you sure you are not picking up on control traffic that could indeed be going to the US? In captures of the game I have done there is a game update stream normally on UDP 20040-20199 but there was also what I assumed was a control stream that went someplace different for auth or stats or whatever.

Not really saying you are wrong, just that I don't see why they would make such a move.

Not trying to argue but would love to have an interesting discussion about it.
  3. icufos

I hope your wrong 'RevAngel' but going to check it out.

This sort of shenanigans is a game killer for sure.

I'm in UK on Miller. Think I was getting around 55 ping.
    Will see what it is now and return with info.
  4. RevAngel

@DarkQuark
    The control stream runs towards a different IP, in my tested case 216.52.53.133

I am also not absolutely sure about the "why". But centralization is imo almost always a sign that the company doing it did come to the conclusion that they needed more control over the content.

Prices on hosting are different in the US and the EU also, btw. And centralization brings the benefit to dynamically change processing power between company content (means, you can switch processing power from app A to app B or C, depending on demand at the time, eg. the 5 games daybreak hosts). It is also more cost effective to bulk host different services like gaming, web-services etc. into one provider. Thats just to make the point about the cost thought here.

My ping times are normally excellent, returning between 18 to 21ms results to most in-country tests. So 80+ms is a very clear sign for a packet going around the world. Amsterdam servers return a 30ish ping for me. San Diego on the other hand returns around 77ms, which is in line with the PS2 80+ms response.
  5. RevAngel

@icufos
    It can be a game killer, no doubt about that.

I am playing on Miller as well. Would be interesting to see IP specifics on changing servers. But since I play nearly only on Miller I cannot be bothered to test it.

I am interested in your results. Can you please put them here? (I am aware that this forum post could vanish veeeeerryyyy quickly tho)
    • Up x 1
  6. RevAngel

Geolocation data from IP2Location (Product: DB6, updated on 2021-5-1)

IP AddressCountryRegionCity
    69.174.194.166 United States of America [IMG] California San Diego
    ISPOrganizationLatitudeLongitude
    Daybreak Game Company LLC Not Available 33.0100 -117.0729
    Geolocation data from ipinfo.io (Product: API, real-time)

69.174.194.166 Netherlands [IMG] South Holland Rotterdam
    Daybreak Game Company LLC Daybreak Game Company LLC (daybreakgames.com) 51.9225 4.4792
    Geolocation data from DB-IP (Product: Full, 2021-5-1)

69.174.194.166 Netherlands [IMG] North Holland Amsterdam
    Daybreak Game Company LLC Daybreak Game Company LLC 52.3667 4.89454
    Geolocation data from IPGeolocation.io (Product: API, real-time)

69.174.194.166 United States [IMG] California San Diego
    Daybreak Game Company LLC Daybreak Game Company LLC 32.99045 -117.07990
  7. RevAngel

They probably found some optimizations, today with around 150 people on the server my ping was 70+
  8. TLluis

On PS4 eu,the server is not a paradise now that we talk. On workdays the pop only rises on evenings and on weekends,mostly pop are kids that return from school/institute/university,which is a càncer.
  9. icufos

Information you seek.

Ok, I did take some screenshots of my ping and it was about..
    Ping=34ms
    Server latency=57ms

You may like to?
    I'm doing a post on my clansite about Planetside 2 about the playability of the game.
    Ill post there screenshots of the ping atc. My posts are huge usually so can't really do it here.
    https://thenitwitts.enjin.com/forum

Information nothing to do with the post.
    Our claansite did play COD now it's Titanfall 2 and I've been trying to get the others to play PS2 without much success.
    We had 150 members once now down to 4?
    One did try it and frankly it was just too complex for him.
    I will keep trying.
    Got my son to play but he's ill right now. Sometimes he'd come on just to make me happy.
    I'm on pc. i5 4670K/Radeon RX 480 8GB.
    Frankly this game does require alot of juice.
    Hopefully my new pc at present by my left foot will play PS2 betterer.:p

Final thoughts.
    To be honest seems better for me. Which is odd.
    Can only presume they are optimizing the game somehow as they go along?
    Let's be frank. It's an American game, from America, mostly played by Americans.
    I'm just grateful they are including us on the play list.
  10. DarkQuark

\

I have no idea why the ping times for you got higher but everything you said about hosting seems to be based on colocation. And I seriously doubt that's what they are doing. I could be wrong but I think it would be more cost effective to not own your own hardware (at this point in the life of the game) and use some cloud service like AWS that can handle different regions, auto scaling and be able to have a virtual backbone to connect everything in spite of being spread around the world. And in that case there would be no sense in moving everything to the US.
  11. RevAngel

I don't know. Server Ping right now is inconsistent as hell, between 55 and 80, mostly in the 77 region. Ping is between 44 and 51.

What do you think about the double geolocation IP register?

@icufos
    I feel with your thoughts, man!
    On PS1 Werner we had a 300+ people outfit and around 10 to 50 online every evening. I think I am the last one playing. Nowadays you show this game to newcomers and they are already somewhere else, waving to you.

I really wish, and wished for a long time, that they kept the inventory system, inventory space depending on armor, which defines how fast you are. Something like the later "Delta Force" games had. You could pack yourself with guns to the brink, but then you also crawl like a snail, or just have a pistol and no armor and be fast.
    In PS2 I found myself letting me getting killed just because I had to switch class to get something different done.
    The class system took away a lot of strategic possibilities, plus nowadays you press I and stop a hack in no time at all. Totally different from packing a Phantasm and destroying a base without creating a hotspot, to drain it to zero, preventing enemy ANTs to come in and then hack the base and bring your own ANTs in to provide the base with energy again.

Well, maybe I am old and miss having a game that is slow enough to create stories you can remember and tell other people about. Nothing to tell about anything in PS2, sadly.
  12. Huggyos

that serious network issue is permanent in europe since launch I guess in PS2. ingame pings are always bad for me like around 45-50ms with fiber connection from inside EU, which is like <5ms inside country for me. shooting is very hard all the time including with try to predict enemy movements to hit them... most of the time nothing happens when I start to shoot on enemy as an infantry but after 1-2s he started to shoot me and I insta die, and game shows that he was full HP and shield after I died... WTF! I have played a lot games before but this is the far worst multiplayer game experience in this aspect. I wouldnt be suprised if they hosted servers from US and they just tunneling datas thru Holland....
    Server latency is very bad as well on Cobalt, 70ms.

I couldnt check its real server ip, didnt see PS2 in netstat command.