the coming weeks of darkness!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Liewec123, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Liewec123

anyone else wondering if DBG will do anything in the coming weeks to help mitigate the looming drop of players?

incase anyone is out of the know,
    in 2 weeks time Asassins Creed: Valhalla releases, and a week after that CYBERPUNK releases!

the number of people playing PS2 will likely drop when Valhalla hits (while we all get our barbarian on!),
    by how much? who knows, but it'll probably drop while people play it.
    and then a week later the massively hyped Cyberpunk hits,
    and THAT is gonna be a fairly noticeable dip in player imho, and it looks like a fairly big game,
    so players might be away from PS2 for a week or more.

so do we think DBG should do something to try to damage control? incentives for people to play?
    this game survives from people logging in and seeing lots of people playing, and active fights to join.
    new players logging in on the week of the 10th might find low player numbers,
    and new players logging in on the week of the 19th almost certainly will!

and it "could" be this way for the whole later half of November.

i'm thinking it'd be good for them to do a double XP event, they could even call it a Halloween event.
    several weeks of double XP might be extreme, so perhaps they could do it for a few days,
    a week after cyberpunk? (which will also be right before members double XP weekend)
    or how about from the 10th to the end of November they increase the nanites per minute?
    so people can use more fun stuff.

also Xbox launches on the 10th and PS5 launches on the 12th
    its a big month for gamers!

what does everyone think?
    anyone think the servers will be graveyards?
    anyone think there won't be a difference atall?
    :)
  2. iller

Wasn't there a Tweet just yesterday saying that Cyberpunk failed some Compliance test? (LOL f***ing Consoles.... it doesn't belong on Consoles, it's gonna be unplayable on all of them except for the Ps5 that it's time delayed to appear on last I heard)

I Think RPG needs to MAKE all its Devs make actual appearances in game at least on both American servers going around asking real players (not the usual Vocal minority on Reddit/Twitter) what they think. And maybe the EU/UK server too if they can fit it into their schedules because I'm sure those people would have more Civil feedback than us 'Murricans' tend to lead with
  3. Liewec123

oh god, i hope not, 8 years is long enough wait!
    the filthy console peasants better not delay it!

edit: dammit you're right, 10th december, thanks console scrubs! :(
    silver lining, atleast i'll get to give valhalla a good solid play instead of dropping it after 9 days!
  4. OneShadowWarrior

Many games get delayed, although I have not been happy with Outfit stuff, Bastions, Colussus, Sanctuary, Esamir’s Shattered Warpgate or Campaign System. I am just glad to see an aging game still going because this game is getting as old as minecraft. Many games are moving to
    DX12, Ray Tracing and graphics in games such as Red Dead Redemption 2, have set a new standard for the Horizon’s graphics technology.

I never thought in the original Planetside there would be a Planetside 2, who knows, some backer might come along or Sony buys it back or Smedly working for Amazon could kick PS3 back.

Until a competitive PVP game comes. Rogue Planet will hold the crown, even with bad developers, because the veterans will only be loyal for as long as there is no substitute. Once a game company catches on, the loyalty of the community will falter as we saw with PS Arena.
    • Up x 2
  5. iller

It's way bigger than that actually... You've got all kinds of really LOYAL franchise fans from SWG/Battlefront to Battlefield to EVE's-Dust and World_of_Tanks to 40K even who just want this SciFi massive FPS world. I think that even includes some Halo & Apex players. And we know it's a huge market opportunity that StarCit won't monopolize becuse Starcit isn't based around "Arcade" style gunplay like all those other franchises are. All those fans have been really let down the past decade and they would Flock to whatever Class/Ability based MMOFPS makes it out the door before a Planetside3 is ever likely to. It drives me nuts just thinking about all the Potential players this Dev team has been refusing to make room for
    • Up x 1
  6. That_One_Kane_Guy

It takes multiple hands to count the number of Assassins Creed games Planetside has outlasted, I can't fathom why this latest one is somehow a cause for concern.

Cyberpunk will set a very nice precedent for how pretty and advanced newer games can be (provided of course that it runs properly, delivers even a fraction of what they promise, and doesn't continue with their Star Citizen-esque series of delays), but at the end of the day it's a singleplayer RPG aimed at the GTA/Saint's Row crowd. It doesn't even swim in the same ocean. We'll honestly probably see more of a drop from the latest flavor of Vanilla that is Cold War.

Consoles are on hospice. Their ability to affect the population levels for this game could charitably be called "negligible".
    • Up x 1
  7. OneShadowWarrior

Yes, I agree the player base is there, back in March they saw a large populace rise, but had no retention. Sure, plenty of people will play for free, how many actually pay?

A top coder that worked for Sony, told me all the top talent left Planetside, I know of one that works for Microsoft and we all know Smedly is head of PC games for Amazon. It takes money for raw talent and I doubt a good programmer will work for peanuts.

They could have added more maps, more content like vehicles, weapons, better attachment choices, retooled and expanded the character development, given maxes a little more breathing room in anti vehicular or anti air, hell they don’t even have to look far, there is a Plethora of content they can carry over from the first Planetside. They listened to the non-payers. The whiners who cried nerf this and nerf that and balance this, realism hits a saturation point when a game is viably no more fun.

Somewhere in this
  8. InexoraVC

Are there any other games ? Not just PS2 ? That's surprisingly...
    I'm not sure RPG knows about it :)))
    • Up x 1
  9. Liewec123

But they're both anticipated pc games, and many of us will be taking time off PS2 to play them,
    During those weeks you will see a drop in players, and with 2 of them in a row (not anymore since cyberpunk has been delayed)
    AND the people getting consoles, it was going to all mount up.
    A few players off playing valhalla, many off playing cyberpunk, plenty more off playing consoles.
    PS2 could have gotten rather quiet indeed!
    I do still think there will be a noticeable dip in players in 2 weeks,and then again on December 10th
  10. That_One_Kane_Guy

Witcher 3, Destiny 2, Civ6, R6S, CoD:MW, Halo MCC, GTAO, Fallout 3, etc. ad nauseam. It isn't like there's been a dearth of popular titles in the last few years. I don't see how these two are somehow special.

AC in particular hit its peak while most of this generation of players were still too young to buy it; being concerned about a player drop for Valhalla is like a sit-down restaurant being concerned about the return of the McRib.
    • Up x 1
  11. Liewec123

because its all going down in a very small timeframe. (well it was before cyberpunk delay)
    2 big games, and 2 new consoles, all at the same time.

and the ps2 pops currently are already far lower than they once were.
    so 4 huge distraction all happening at the same time could make logging in at primetime look like 5AM on a monday.
  12. That_One_Kane_Guy

I disagree. Nevertheless we'll all find out for sure soon enough.
    • Up x 1
  13. Liewec123

We shall indeed! And when I have a pause from slaughtering northumbrians and pillaging their villages in Valhalla
    i'll come and post the graph of the player drop :-3
    Note: Cyberpunk got delayed, so we just have valhalla, Xbox X and PS2 as distractions, but you'll still see a drop.
  14. Twin Suns

S&@! I've been playing ARMA 3 more and more lately. I only hop on PS2 to keep in touch with the homies and hunt down Medics getting trolled by DBG at the SWG.

Also, since I upgraded my PC and went back to the community. Where did all these chipmunks come from??? I thought only consoles had that infestation problem. :)
  15. JibbaJabba

Not particularly interested in either of those titles but I can tell you're excited about them. By all means, go play! Planetside will still have content after your new stuff has worn off.

There are constant big titles releasing that appeal to various planetside players.

Until an MMOFPS of this scale releases I don't think any one title is going to cause a noticeable blip in the otherwise pretty steady but acceptable decline.
    • Up x 3
  16. Liewec123

totally agree there :)
    i'm not saying that the game will die, just that in the coming weeks it could get rather empty ;)