The storm / lightning mechanics

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gleitfrosch, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Gleitfrosch

The new storm / lightning mechanic should be changed, if I can't hide beneath something, what is in in 99% the case if outside a base, I am dead.
    Whenever I get the "energy forming around you" message, I can stop playing, wait for my death and respawn after. That can happen multiple times during a few minutes! My Record is 10 seconds between respawn and lightining instant death.

It would be enough if the shield gets removed by the lightning, even some health damage would be acceptable, but a 100% death is an absolute funkiller.
  2. Cyropaedia

There is supposed to be a 'Lightning Arrestor' tool to help you survive.

People are saying it's coming in the next campaign chapter.

Knowing the devs, it's going to be locked behind something dumb like 4000 A7 currency or all of your campaign currency.
  3. Gleitfrosch

Interesting, what about people who are not interested in the campaign and just want to play the raw game?

I have no problems, if I get killed by a player. But this random deaths are making me lose my interest in this game... with every lighting that kills me.
    • Up x 5
  4. Cyropaedia

You need the campaign but the second to the last task grants an 'Insulated Suit'. Reduces lightning damage by 50% and makes you less likely to be struck my lightning.
  5. Thalestr

It needs to go.

If their plan is to break up large zergy stalemates then they need to come up with something better than something ripped straight from Fortnite that roams around the map and trashes the "largest" fight. Keep in mind, "largest" could mean a simple 12v12 clash during non-peak hours if it's the biggest fight around. The storm will travel there and trash that battle.

You can't just take control and fun away from players like this. It's cheap, cheesy, and very lazy.
    • Up x 1
  6. Blam320

Storms don't usually spawn when the continent is unstable, in my experience. It requires a population threshold. On top of that, there are missions that require you go into the storm and get kills/transport players/get transport assists.
    • Up x 1
  7. Botji

Afaik the storm goes to large fights, I refuse to believe you are the only medic on your faction in that area. Yeah the storm can be a problem but it is designed to be a problem but its not like it wipes out 20 people around you when it hits you on the head.

Tbh the worst experience I have had with the storm is that unlike most vehicles, the Magrider just drops down straight to the ground and scrapes around even slower than normal. Storm is pretty much a complete no-go zone for VS MBTs.

My personal opinion is that the storm is too small, it should be big enough to cover the targeted base + most bases next to it as well.
  8. DeadlyOmen

You asked for something ridiculous- the penalization of teams savvy enough to build overwhelming force.

You got what you asked for.
    • Up x 3
  9. That_One_Kane_Guy

I didn't start having problems with it until after a couple sessions when I stopped goofing around in the Dead Zone and actually started playing the map, but once it started making an appearence it got really annoying really quickly.

I was on TR and we were the low-pop faction with only two lattice-lines to push out of, one to NC and one to VS. Unfortunately this meant that we were always the 'Big Fight' since we had most of our available population pushing at one base or the other. In a ~30 minute period we had three separate attacks stopped by the storm before we finally were able to take a base, after which the storm wiped out what would have been a very nice three-way open field fight between bases.

It was extremely frustrating for everyone. When all three factions can agree on /shout that the storm sucks every time it appears there's a problem. No one is excited to see it show up.

Unfortunately with all the campaign stuff revolving around the bloody thing it looks like RPG have pretty well married themselves to it so it's unlikely to be going anywhere. It's a real shame, because other than that the Esamir rework is actually really fun to play. I sincerely hope they don't try pushing an equivalent mechanic onto all of the other continents.
  10. ican'taim

The storm punishes:
    1. Tanks
    2. Aircraft
    3. Campers
    All groups that infantrysiders moan about how they "ruin the fun" and how it's unbalanced that they get one shot by a hesh tank because they were standing in the middle of the road.
    Seriously, why are the infantrysiders crying? You should be happy, because the storm is essentially an outdoor biolab. Just keep moving and you'll be fine.
  11. That_One_Kane_Guy

The storm punishes people for being in a large fight. In a game centered around large fights.

Unless there's a Biolab out there that blows up all its spawn points, EMPs shields away and starts killing everyone I don't see how your comparison holds any water.

The storm needs work, full stop.
    • Up x 3
  12. Zagareth

Just remove the storm.
    Game elements should add a fun factor to the game. The storm only adds a frustration factor. Remove it!
    • Up x 2
  13. DeadlyOmen

Killing large fights is the exact opposite of what the game needs.

This storm thing kills large fights.
    • Up x 1
  14. LoneRanger69

logged in last night after a 4-5 month break.. got killed twice in 5 mins due to a storm.. logged off and uninstalled.. DB was finally able to totally kill off my desire to play PS2.. good job DB.. *golf clap*
  15. Twin Suns

"Oh, don't worry. Lightning doesn't strike twice" - anonymous latrine lawyer.

BULL$&@! :)
  16. chayne

The storm thing is a complete fun battle killer. If anything it should wreak havoc on vehicles and air, not near so much on players on the ground.