Can C4 be removed from Light Assault only

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OneShadowWarrior, Oct 5, 2020.

1. OneShadowWarrior

Back when Light Assault had no options, C4 was there go to against vehicles, maxes and groups of infantry. Now they have a rocklett rifle, can C4 please be removed from this class?

If it’s going to be a throwable item that never animates properly most of the time in fights at least keep it to the heavy assaults, medics and engineers because at least they need to somewhat footzerg it. Can’t say the same for Light Assault, they fling it everywhere and anywhere ruining for the vast majority with a overlooked exploit not based on any level of skill.
  2. Campagne

Maybe if the Rocklet Rifle was actually capable of killing enemy vehicles.

Here we come full circle again, only C4 is powerful enough to do anything and if the RR was ever buffed enough to be realistically usable it'd just get the same "nerf!" calls.
  3. Demigan

No it can't be removed, not yet.

Rocklet Rifle is a toy, only useful if it can be used to finish off a vehicle in most cases. Also infantry has practically only C4 to successfully fend off vehicle attacks, with the LA being the most prominent user. There are ofcourse options to remedy this:
    • Split C4 into an AV and AI variant. This means it's no longer a jack-of-all-trades item and players have to prepare beforehand what they bring. It also makes it easier to balance C4 against their particular target.
    • Add alternatives to C4. If you can carry a resource-costing deployable shield, the original idea behind the Forwards Station, a high-powered rocketlauncher/grenadelauncher etc then players have the option to actually pick something other than C4. This alone will reduce C4 use, but with enough alternatives you can put far more strict limitations on C4. For example allowing LA's to carry only 1 C4 instead of 2.
    Your suggestion adds to the already prevalent "remove stuff to force people into my fun" that the Devs have no problem thinking up by themselves. Try to add to the game, not subtract.
  4. iller

They do absolutely Crutch on it way too hard.

But total removal is literally just a Developer admitting they give up and don't know how to actually "create" better mechanics and especially don't know how to iterate on ones that are popular.

All they have to do is make the class choose between 2 of the 3 things they're too good at currently; in the moment they're doing it in!. If they've got C4 ready to go, then they are no longer 100% obscured by the terrain and the enemy can then see them through walls like a live Grenade. If they *just* activated any kind of rapid velocity altering movement ability, then when switching to #4 slot the C4 gets slapped with an actual SERVERSIDE 3-second Arming time instead. And if they just detonated any C4, then there's another delay on them changing to their SMG or AmbushJetting away.

....This is exactly how it is as a Heavy Assault or a Flash infiltrator already, I plink Heavies in the head WITH IMPUNITY as a freshly decloaking infil right to their faces a second after I see them shoot their Launcher because I know they can't just whip out a LMG in time. This is fine for the Gander with clipped wings, why the hell is not okay for the Gooses that are flying all over the place?? Every other class (besides Assault rifle Medics) have some kind of REAL downside but not light assaults. They get to just peel out all over the place and do sick donuts between all of their abilities all at once and suffer basically NO accuracy penalties while doing it!! :eek:

Just change THAT. Don't remove the options and make people quit, just make them prioritize "Deliberate" actions the way almost every other class has to
    • Up x 1
  5. Z3r0Khan

No.And first play LA and attache video here so we can see your no-skill C4 doom all play before you come with **** like this to cry over.Best you remove yourself from this forum so we no longer suffer your anti-LA howling.
  6. iller

Not an Argument.

I've unlocked Demolitions pouch lately for the Engineer and have been dumping three to four C4's on all kinds of targets lately and almost never get stopped in time. C4's pop and drop timing is just way too ClientSided and way too obscured by the game's own Art assets. It needs to stand out when it's PRIMED(held in any player's hand) and ready to throw. It needs real downsides that make it harder to just automatically WIN with it everytime just because you started out at an elevation higher than 8 feet above where everyone else on the battlefield is looking around at.

And I'll tell ya, nothing quite gives you that advantage like jumping out of a Safety-Chute equipped ESF or jumping out of a Valk with 1 to 3 other people all carrying c4 as well. (we've blown up colossus tanks and sundy-balls that way) So even don't try to bring that "oh it's soooo hard being a Fairy" crap in here. It's EZPZ. And the real issue is that LAs can do all of this way easier way cheaper way sooner without having to own a fully stocked Silo+AirTeminal ...and then they can just zip away consequences-free a split second later
    • Up x 3
  7. Johannes Kaiser

Well, they half-removed it already. Since the patch C4 has a good chance of not doing damage on detonation, so...
    Yay bug, I guess?
    • Up x 1
  8. LurkingHorror

If Light Assaults are so powerful, why isn't it even close to the most played class out there ?

If c4 is so powerful, why is it not leading the kill statistics compared to more conventional weapons ?

Sure, you may chose to claim that in MMOs, players just have too much e-honor to use 'cheap' 'overpowered' weapons and classes for any serious amount of time, in which case I don't want to argue with you, because that would be far too detached from reality as I see it to bother with. But even then, shouldn't there be at least ONE c4 wielding Light Assault with more than 100k c4 kills, when such players exist for LMGs, Shotguns, and even Pistols ? We're talking about an 'easy-mode weapon of mass destruction' after all ?
    • Up x 1
  9. DemonicTreerat

Much better fix.

Split it into at least two types.
    Timed charge: 50% more bang than now but with a 45 second fixed timer after its thrown. Short enough that a tunnel-visioned camper won't notice he's going to die but long enough for an alert driver to bail and try to disarm it via repair tool.
    Command detonated: 75% the power, 5 second fusing animation (no sane person carries fused & primed explosives on them) but can carry twice as many.
  10. Johannes Kaiser

Not a bad idea in general, but 45 sec may be a bit much. Consider, if the thing falls next to a vehicle - so it doesn't stick - even the slowest tank could easily be over 500m away by the 45 second mark. It should be enoough time to be noticed and disarmed, but not enough for the intended target to be a short afternoon walk away. I'd recommend 10 seconds, personally. (Unless you meant "4-5", in which case it may be a tad on the short end, but working.)
    Fusing time is a bit long for a game with potential TTKs of less than 1 sec. Arming should take time, but not enough to get you killed several times over. 2 sec maybe? Still enough to die plenty, but it doesn't make you prime target nr 1.
  11. Twin Suns

Thank you for saying it. It's a "No risk, all reward" compared to the other classes.

*The C4 itself isn't the issue with me. It's the LA's unrestricted abilities it has compared with the other classes restricted abilities. . No hard trade offs.*

o7
  12. Twin Suns

Honestly, I myself started out as a LA. Sometimes people get a better understanding of the game or just "gitgud" and grow as a player. Nobody among my crew brags or argues about who's the best, baddest LA in the group. We do about the other classes, but NOT the LA. :)

o7
  13. Liewec123

only reason i'd want c4 to be removed from LA is so Ordnance Armour isn't absolutely mandatory for Max.
    otherwise you're spending 450 nanites on a unit and some guy just presses spacebar to ambusher over your head
    (you probably won't kill him with max guns, especially inaccurate barn-sprayers like NC max shotguns.)
    pushes a button and oneshot you for 75 nanites.

but to solve this nonsense i'd much rather they just take the c4 resistance out of Ordance Armour and make it baseline.
    i don't think LAs need c4 removing from them.
    if i get my tank c4'd i consider it to be a blooper on my part, infantry cannot reach you unless you allowed them too.
    you're in a tank that can deal damage from very far away and moves three times faster than a light assault,
    even vanguards can outrun LAs.

the odd exception to this will be if you're in a region near a biolab/amp station or somewhere else with jump pads.
    experienced drifters can gank any vehicle in that region and (depending on the jump pad) any of the surrounding ones.
  14. That_One_Kane_Guy

Is it this time again?
    C4 Fairies are dangerous if you don't see them coming or if you're stupid enough to stand in obvious drop spots. Splitting C4 into an AI and an AV variant isn't going to solve these people's problems, as long as it kills them they will cry.

At least this OP has the honesty to outright say he wants it removed instead of doing what some others are and asking for timed delays longer than a bloody Flail strike for a player-deployed equipment item, then pretending they are concerned about balance.
  15. DrostenVS

My problem with C-4 is that it is often thrown around like candy in infantry battles because the cost is relatively low and you can take out groups of enemies right outside of doors or windows.

I've only returned to this game recently and decided to play on a different server, but I've already run into an outfit that throws more C-4 to hold points than I've seen anywhere else.

In my opinion, the nanite cost is not high enough to discourage players from throwing it like crazy during infantry battles (even when maxes aren't present).
    • Up x 1
  16. Thalestr

C4 LA's could be made much more tolerable if they fixed a massively overlooked problem with the LA that has existed since launch: The jetpack is almost completely silent. The Icarus jets are pretty noisy but nobody really uses those. The other 3 jetpack types are no more audible than a small desk fan, and that needs to change. Part of the reason LA's are so good against tanks is that the idling of a tank engine is louder than than a jetpack flying just a few meters away.

An infiltrator going into cloak unleashes a sound that can be heard from half a base away, even during moderately busy firefights. A LA carries significantly more raw destructive power and yet moves with greater freedom in total silence - drastically reducing the ability for it to be countered by keen-eared players.
    • Up x 3
  17. Azarga

This, actually.

Never made sense for me that jetpacks are almost silent. Both from balancing and aesthetic standpoint. We need more screaming jets.
    • Up x 1
  18. DeadlyOmen

Someone in this thread got C4'd by a LA.

I think I know it it was.
  19. LurkingHorror

That's a shame really, that you guys have nothing to brag about on your LAs. Maybe you need to practice a bit more :p ? LA requires a slightly different skillset, but if you prefer bragging about who switched on his overshield and clicked heads faster than everyone else, that's ok too. While there are indeed less really good LAs than good HAs, there still exists a sufficient numer of them.

I think the better solution would be to make activation of the ambusher jumpjets specifically create a 3-5 second weapon lock on c4, because it indeed can be argued that ambusher jets make surprising an enemy perhaps a bit too easy. Then again, looking at what the ambusher jumpjets really are, and it's obvious use cases, easily suprising an enemy is probably what these things were made for, so I'm not sure if there'd be any willingness to adjust it's intended use case that way.

For normal infantry, getting ambushed is not strictly worse than a sniper rifle aimed at your head, a stalker decloaking right behind you, or a volley of rocket pods from a randomly passing ESF. For maxes, it all depends on wether or not you agree that spending 450 nanites should entile you to be able to react to any source of damage and still have a chance to come out on top. The obvious counterargument being that the increased resiliance against so many other forms of damage is already enough.

By now I personally don't really care anymore. Letting an undamaged max survive one c4 wouldn't make much of a difference to me - when going after a max, I need to use 2 bars of c4 to make sure I get a kill anyway, or need to follow up the first bar by going cqc with my shotgun.

And you don't really need a drifter pack, standard gives you plenty reach. Never ceases to amaze me that with so many mostly baseless c4 whine threads, this one really debatable issue almost never gets mentioned. Tank crews that are aware of the fact and can prepare accordingly still seem to be able to evade this pretty well, but for everyone else it indeed seems kind of unfair. More 'unfair' than getting shelled by a tank way off on some hill during a busy infantry fight ? Up for discussion I guess.

Sounds like you've never been anywhere near a real tank.

Back when I went to school, we were living in a part of the town fit between two military installations housing tank batallions, and the military training area bordering on a third side. Remembering the sound when the tanks occasionally rolled out, I can assure you that there's pretty much no way you could hear even a loud jetpack when standing right next to one of them.

Sure, we have Sci-Fi Tanks here, they don't need to create a realistical noise level. Same however is true for the jetpack. That's why it is important not to argue with realism here, but just from a balance perspective.

So should tanks automatically get an alarm sound when a LA is close ? I personally think 4 spitfires between a tank crew, that can be resupplied at the next sundy by travelling there at tank speed are enough already. Or bringing an infiltrator as gunner, who can keep a large area covered in radar darts, then resupply at the drivers ammo pack. Between that and running radar on the tank itself, I don't think there needs to be yet another way to tilt the balance even more in favor of the armored vehicle.

And yes, ther balance IS in favor of the vehicle. If you put a tank and a light assault in just about any otherwise empty base to duke it out, the only way this can eventually end is with a dead light assault. A light assault blowing up a tank heavily relies on the distraction provided by the rest of his team, so it's never really a solo kill, even if the LA did all the damage.

Yeah. And the issue here is not c4. It's player's stubborn boneheadedness where they see a patch of dead bodies and go 'oh, if all those players rather died than leave this spot, this must be a totally awesome spot to camp, so let's go there!'. I mean if you know that doors and windows are dangerous, how about keeping some distance, or just use them to quickly pass through ? No, everyone always insist on camping at the well known c4 drop points, and then the special ones run to the forums and cry afterwards. We could probably end the conflict on auraxis very easily by surrounding the warpgates by a wall of doors - the few players not immediatly stopping to camp there would never be enough to keep up any kind of large scale conflict.
    • Up x 1
  20. Thalestr

I use LA for c4 duty and have for years, and I'll be the first to admit that it's too potent.

When tanks come knocking at my door, I don't grab my HA or an AP tank, I grab my LA and c4. It's just so much better for the job.
    • Up x 4