[Suggestion] Construction OS is starting to get really uninteresting

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Apr 16, 2020.

1. karlooo

To sum up the state of construction: It's most effective at supporting the objective from far away because its defenses are too weak. So by OS and or Router.
    I don't think the construction OS should be in the game anymore...Like it does no damage, just hide in a building and most of the time it does more damage to its own teammates cause of the knock-back.
    I've had battles recently where the objective got Orbital Striked multiple times in a row and as all the bases are pretty small it's just weird to get nuked multiple times, which also does nothing other than stagnating the fight for a couple of seconds most of the time.

The new April 15 - Tactical Improvements update added some new deployables. Not a fan of the time bomb but construction should get reworked into something like this --> Small structures in the objective to support allies or our spawn.
    I really wouldn't mind if all construction structures got removed and I started off with only being able to place 'Caltrops'...At least I would be more useful than building a castle in the middle of nowhere lol.
    • Up x 2
  2. chayne

Lol let's make it interesting, make them hackable.
  3. Smallzz

If there's anything we learned from Outfit Wars it's that construction can have a place in capping and defending bases. Construction skyshields and automated AI/AA/AT turrets really are a great force multiplier.

What we can't have is flails and glaives raining down on bases all day long.

My suggestion? Remove the no deploy zones for construction but keep the current limitations (with perhaps some adjustment) for flails/glaives. This way armor has a role to play in base capping/defense too other than just destroying spawn points. Suddenly tanks are useful for taking out automated defense turrets and modules, skyshields, etc etc. Also a prepared team has an answer to cancer A2G spam, just pop up a skyshield and make sure that you have a plan to protect it.

This inadvertently makes otherwise undesirable infantry classes and playstyles viable as well because all of a sudden that stalker infiltrator can be used to hack defense turrets or sabotage the skyshield. LAs find a use outside of playing gargoyle on the roof, much like the stalker infiltrators.
    • Up x 1
  4. YellowJacketXV

Would be nice if devs modified the Flail and Glaive to be used anywhere like an OS can.
    I think it would also be neat to have a base related deployable artillery that matched the faction.
    • Up x 1
  5. Smallzz

No it would not be neat, it would be miserable. Lets have a bastion mauler gun that anyone can build with a minimal cert investment and about 10m of time said no one ever.
  6. Blam320

Two things about construction:

First, building a base is a very hefty time and resource commitment. By the time you've built a base to support a fight, the battle will have already been won or lost, and your base will suddenly either become redundant or overrun.

Second, anti-construction tools have been buffed (or added in the case of the Cortium Bomb) while other previously construction-only tools have been made more readily available (OS).

I would say reworking construction is long overdue; it's a great concept to be sure, and it's a great tool that could give players significant control over the flow of battle. But as it stands, it doesn't do quite enough, despite having a lot of logistics support tools.
  7. karlooo

Removing no construction zones would be very interesting but before one thing needs to be done first. I think that building should be a solo thing, so once you put the Silo down you claim your 200 m radius territory.
    Multiple ppl building in the same spot never works, makes the base completely chaotic and too large.

With no restricted zones the Flail weapon should get removed for sure. Very unenjoyable to deal with but the Glaive IPC is fine, it just supports.

The structure: Orbital Strike needs to be reconsidered too.
  8. Crayv

Allowing the Glaive/Flail to fire on bases would make it useful but it will need some restrictions.

Like giving the target designater a single shot and then you have to resupply it (so you have to go back to the base every time you want to use it rather than just a stalker infil just sitting in place occasionally coming out to target a new spot) and/or giving the Glaive a limited amount of ammo and it takes a few minutes before it can create more ammo for another barrage.
  9. Peebuddy

So I've just started dabbling into the construction in this game, I've gotten around 75% unlocked and feel like I can set up a Fob fairly quickly enough to where it's finished before the enemy comes up to ruin all my hard work.

What frustrates me the most is the HUGE no deploy zones around bases, seems you can only construct them in the middle of nowhere. Even when I was placing bases directly on the road leading to the next base the enemy would just go around it onto the next cap-able facility, which sucks because I put all this time and effort into it and no one wants to come play at my house, I have a X-box you guys!

Drastically reduce the no deploy zone, allow me to make a FoB close enough to act as a last ditch spawn base should all our sundies get destroyed but not so far away nobody cares wtf I'm doing.

Then a rework of the basic job of a base, currently it's to rain down OS' on stalemated facilities *Yawn*. I feel the base OS should be removed, regulated only to the outfit call down, and instead the building should be required to cover an area as a sort of beacon for outfits to call in OS'. This unregulated reign of terror outfit OS' have right now needs to stop, they should at least be required to make some tactical effort to call them in

In replacement of losing your OS your flail/ Glaive would now be usable on top of bases as if they were OS'. modified of course so you're not just a stalker infil spamming your dart gun, either a long cooldown or a limited use tool you'd have to replace every few shots or something. But those were only a couple suggestions, what else do you guys think?
    • Up x 1