[Suggestion] Double Underbarrel ammo pool

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TRspy007, Apr 11, 2020.

1. TRspy007

Not sure why this still hasn't been done, but I'm pretty sure the ammo pool for underbarrel shotguns/grenade launchers could be bumped to 10, or at least doubled, without resulting in anything unfair.

This would allow us to take advantage of the underbarrel attachments more often, without being an engineer.
    • Up x 2
  2. RRRIV

i agree because we now have a literal grenade launcher primary.
    • Up x 1
  3. Demigan

I would say the underbarrel attachments need an overhaul anyway.

Switching to your UB attachment takes precious time, and switching back also takes time. This means you'll rarely see them used and when they are used it's by those players who find a spot where they can spam it at a spawnroom from behind a shield.

What we need is these UB attachments to be instant. You are firing your weapon and find an enemy in your face? BAM instant UB shotgun goes off. An enemy is behind some cover and you need to finish him off or flush him out? Instant UB grenade at that location. It should be fast and easy, something to enhance your gameplay and not something that you spend an entire reload's worth of time just to switch to, fire it and switch back.

For example, let's say we can fire the UB attachment with X and it doesn't even interrupt your normal fire (but it does increase your COF by a lot). Reloading it is done by pressing X again so you aren't forced to reload immediately after using it.
    Since current UB attachments would be OP if we could fire them instantly they would need a damage reduction, or at least the shotgun version does.

Classes could then also be enhanced with class-specific UB attachments. A heal/revive dart for Medics, low-power versions of the class-specific grenades etc.
    • Up x 4
  4. strove

Im actually totally down with making it instant fire, it would make it much more helpful in a pinch. UB grenade launcher could fire your regular grenade choice for your class making it more of a utility option. Long range AV grenades for heavies, repair grenades for engies etc. More options basically but maintaining the UB on-impact detonation. At that point grenade bandoleer increases your UB count and i support ammo pouch would increase UB shotgun.
    It would also make the grenade kill directives a little more possible and mean you cant just UB grenade your way to auraxium on the gun itself...
    • Up x 4
  5. TRspy007

I would agree that UB attachments could use faster equip times, but i think it would be unfair if you could just instantly change the outcome of a fight using them. It would also remove some use from pistols. Why switch to my 1 or 2hk revolver if I can just instantly instagib the guy?

I would definitely like faster switch times, especially when I use the underbarrel to turn corners and there's more than one dude. Maybe make it an instant switch from UB to normal, and keep a (shorter) equip time when switching back to the UB attachment?

My main problem anyways would be the ammo pool. It's not something I can reliably count on anyways. Even if it was changed to be used as you say it would only save us in 4 situations, maximum (unless you are an engineer ofc). I would enjoy them better if the equip time was lowered, but also if we were given enough ammo with them to actually use it.

I love the idea of mini class specific UB launchers. It would be something interesting, maybe to revive one or two dudes far away, without wasting an expensive rez nade. I think it's an interesting mechanic, probably more fun than the frame eating smoke nades.
  6. Demigan

By introducing downsides to UB weapons you can keep the instant firing possibility, which I already mentioned.
    Lowered standard damage so you dont instagib with a direct UB grenade/shotgun hit. A COF increase after using it, possibly a short refire time that stops your normal fire (although I would prefer being able to keep shooting. Setting COF to max upon using the UB would be more preferable).

Having to switch is simply not good for the gameplay. It fits a Milsim but not PS2's run&gun playstyle. Its also unintuitive with how you can and cannot swap to it.

If all else fails a faster equip time would be good. But I just dont think that having to swap to the weapon seperately even with instant switchtimes fits the game.

Ammo pool is both a non-issue and a problem. Its a non-issue because when are you even using your UB enough to run out of ammo? People rarely even equip one! Its a problem because the moment you do intend to use it more you are limited by the ammo count.

UB's should enhance the gameplay at all times. When you equip one you should constantly be looking for an opportunity to use one. You want players to think of the right distance, the benefits of using it now or later, the negative impact on using it. It should open up your gameplay!

Currently equipping one is like shooting yourself in the foot and then hoping you can paint a pretty picture with the blood coming out. You sacrifice good options that always benefit you for an extremely niche tool that often requires highly specific circumstances to be useful, or has a big penalty for failing (missing the UB shotty) or misjudging a situation (there's more than one person and only one UB shotty round).

Yes! Let your imagination run wild! A recon dart that sticks and travels with enemies? A single AI rocklet to use mostly against MAX's and light vehicles? What about small magazine-UB's? The recon dart UB could use a magazine. Or a bomblet launcher. You could also use it as a tripwire device: you shoot a wire that attaches to the wall and a dildar appears on the ground where you stand connecting the other end. Enemies tripping the wire could receive damage (razor wire, explosive wire), be spotted, be blinded (Flash wire), get their HUD elements go haywire etc.
    • Up x 1
  7. TRspy007

It's especially when I use the eclipse I'll say. I can go on decent runs, it's just I can never rely on the underbarrel shotgun. Pretty stupid to equip a directive weapon with a one trick pony.
  8. Den

Still waiting for an Underbarrel Rocklet like the good ol Punisher.
    Switching from rifle to launcher was an instant mode switch there.
  9. adamts01

Nothing in Planetside is fair. I might use the guns more with this change in a utilitarian role, but only maybe, because those weapons kind of suck to start with, especially when you give up a laser sight or forward grip.