[Suggestion] Infiltrators on low settings

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TRspy007, Apr 4, 2020.

1. TRspy007

So, I'll ask everyone who wants to post here to be honest, this includes the hardcore trolls desperate to defend this toxic "playstyle". Do not worry, the devs don't read the forums, and even if they did, it's clear balancing the game isn't their concern. Pretty funny how they had to change everything that was balanced, and then obstinate themselves against reverting these harmful changes, but I digress.

This post is simply to inform people of the disadvantage of players running the game on lower settings. It appears that infiltrators become more obvious when the user is playing on high or ultra settings. On low settings, infiltrators are invisible unless they are running in a range of about 5 meters. On ultra settings, even the cockroach stalker infiltrators hiding somewhere in a corner appear faintly visible (in a sort of very faint grayish outline) at the close ranges. Of course, it's needless to say that most of the community does not play on ultra settings, for obvious performance reasons, which is the reason that stalkers proliferated sitting on points for so long (and actually still do on outdoor points).

So the problem this poses is that it gives users distinct benefits due to their graphical settings. I would have given infiltrators the same visibility on all settings, especially since the addition of the stalker cloak (whatever genius thought of that). It's very annoying for normal players to have completely invisible flashes, ants and infiltrators just because they are playing on lower settings. It would be nice if the graphics could be reworked to give cloaked objects the same outline on all settings.

Of course, an even better solution would be to remove the infiltrator to not have this problem, since it had little place in Planetside 1, and serves even less of a role in Planetside 2. Back in Planetside 1, every class had access to snipers, and infiltrators only had access to knives and pistols if they chose to equip their (non-indefinite) cloak. I'm not sure why they strayed away from this model, but the infiltrators in Planetside 2 are totally out of place. It's a combined arms game, yet by design the infiltrator is a solo class for trolls and people who want to maintain a high KDR.

The general misconception is that heavy is the high KDR class, however it is actually the infiltrator which has the ability to dictate engagements, equip the fastest ttk weapons in the game (sniper rifles) and actually escape long enough to redeploy if they have to. If you check, infil mains actually have the highest KDRs, although their SPM is pretty depressing.

So we have a class that simply picks out easy targets from fights, and doesn't contribute to the combined arms aspect of the game. The hacking ability can be passed on to the engineer, which would make more sense, and even class can already have access to recon darts anyways. Of course I can hear the crying and the "what's wrong with the infil, the weakest class in the game" cries from miles away. So I'll just ask to give infils the same visibility on all settings. Is this really such a hard thing to do?
    • Up x 1
  2. Johannes Kaiser

Wasn't it absolutely potatoe settings that made them visible? I mean, maybe it's both. I play on Ultra and I still use the flashlight when looking for infils, though.
    • Up x 1
  3. iller

this used to be a lot better balanced.... I don't understand how they possibly f***ed it up again..

But I also suspect a number of players are just using Chams overlays also and this just gives them "plausible deniability" to CLAIM they just have a really amazing Rig & shader drivers that most of us "plebs" couldn't dream of :confused:

...I will say that Infiltrator has 1 role that it is absolutely "king" of, and that driving up to a Zerg vs Zerg fight to shoot an Orbital dart from a nice safe chicken-sh** distance. Good luck counting on your amazing graphics to prevent that crap from going off!
    • Up x 2
  4. waystin2

I can spot them about 60 to 70% of the time. I would say my settings are set medium to high with a couple of ultras. What usually gives them away is two things: fast movement or constantly calling out "Enemy Engineer spotted" over and over.
    • Up x 2
  5. Scrundle

I'm well away from maxing out my graphical settings and i'm not just blowing my own horn when I say that I have very little trouble spotting infiltrators most of the time. I'll try to include a capture of my settings to show what I am playing on if I can figure it out. My computer is a bit of a mess, an old CPU (FX-8350) struggles but my GPU is very powerful (Radeon 5700 XT) which is a poor combination but the GPU was a gift so who am I to complain. Many of these settings can go much higher than this here that I am using but again, no real issue picking out infiltrators unless they're very stationary, then i've run into them without realising it a few times! [IMG]
    Shadows are OFF because they seem to put a large CPU strain and these settings get me a decently playable framerate in the average fight. I will pay special care over the next few gaming sessions to try and record some footage showing enemy infiltrators in order to help nail down this issue, if they look more obvious for some players than others that is not a good thing.
    • Up x 1
  6. TRspy007

try putting everything off/low except textures on ultra, and see if there's a difference?

Also it seems you're getting the noob infils who haven't realized they don't have a role in the middle of the fight. Seasoned infils don't spot targets or move fast unless they have to.
  7. TRspy007

I would recommend you put textures on ultra, because any lower forces your cpu to compress textures, which actually puts more strain on it.

Thanks for your support!
  8. TRspy007

flashlight is still broken at the moment?
  9. Johannes Kaiser

It has a bit of a delay, that much is true. But the function itself is not broke. So better than nothing, but not as good as the real thing.
  10. Liewec123

Wait, so there is finally a disadvantage for tryhards who run potatomode when their rig can handle high?
    FINALLY!

I'm of the belief that they should get rid of the graphics settings and have it auto set based on your hardware,
    Because I'm pretty sure almost everyone can run ultra these days, and yet i'm the only one in night fight who can't see s##t.

Also on ultra with everything maxed moving infils can be seen but crouched stationary ones are pretty much invisible.
  11. TRspy007

.....uh I'll have to disagree with you on this one. A majority of the community does not have proper hardware. If you look through the forums, most of the people's specs are pretty depressing.

Now add this to the fact that this is an extremely demanding game, even on all low/off settings with my RTX2060 and i7950H (yes, I unfortunately am forced to game on a laptop) I dip below 80 fps in huge fights. Personally, I like to enjoy my 240hz display and value a smooth display over stunning graphics, even if I must run potatomode to take advantage of my display. I also have to be careful that my CPU temps do not peak above 90° even in demanding fights. Even with my undervolt and low settings, I reach average temps of 87° (not that bad for a laptop, but still).

Considering Planetside 2 is a game that must be played on high fps in order to do certain jumps, and take advantage of your weapons ROF, it's really hard for people to play on high settings. In huge fights the game would just be a nightmare, combined with the already terrible servers.

Also, how do you propose the game auto-set settings based on hardware? That doesn't sound like it's possible to do, and even if it was, some people have overclock, undervolt, lack a good cooling system. Do you really want a game's algorithm constraining you to play on what settings it thinks you should be playing on? If your PC melts, would DBG be responsible?

That you can play on ultra is amazing, you are a lucky member of the community. I would love to know what are your PC specs and fps in certain scenarios, but you must keep in mind that not everyone has access to proper hardware, and even less people have good cooling/power-management for it. IT also sounds pretty difficult for the game to individually ***** client specs in order to lock their settings. It doesn't even recommend you optimal settings!
  12. Somentine

I'm pretty sure you're delusional.
  13. Liewec123

they could run a benchmark when you first log in (it'd be a one time only thing)
    with a battle scene, tons of bots firing weapons, explosions etc, standard fare for a big PS2 battle,
    it'd try very low, then low, then medium, then high, then ultra
    and when the fps dips to 60 it'd say "ok this is the correct setting." and stop benchmarking.
    it'd take not of your processor, ram, graphics card etc,
    and then each startup it'd just quickly check you're hardware matches the current profile that it has saved and start the game,
    or if you've changed some parts it could bechmark again.

i have a Corsair One i164 (an expensive present to myself!)
    i9-9900k (liquid cooled) RTX 2080TI (liquid cooled) 32 gigs of ram.
    runs ultra at 2k resolution anywhere between 120-200fps in regular battles, sometimes drops to 80-120fps in massive battles.

but aslong as people can turn off shadows and run on potatomode to see through spawn shields and cloak bubbles etc
    it is a MASSIVE self nerf to run ultra, which is why the game should just not let people go potato mode if they don't need to.

in one way i envy the console guys because they know what their enemies can and can't see, they're on equal footing.
    everyone has shadows, everyone has dark nights.
    • Up x 1
  14. iller

100% agree... there is a huge difference between standing/walking cloaked, and crouched stalker Cloak.

Anyone who says they easily see the former...is running some asset mods or 3rd party enhancements
    • Up x 1
  15. TRspy007

Wow, that's pretty insane!

I was eyeing it but unfortunately I move around too much to have an expensive desktop at the moment. Sounds like it's quite the beast.

Still, I'm not sure if a system like what you propose is possible, are there any games that already have this implemented? Could people also not fool the system to get the settings they want?
  16. Liewec123

Pretty much all games have been setting recommended settings based on hardware for years! :)
    I don't think I've seen a PC game in the 2000s that didn't set the graphics for you based on your rig.
    The only difference here would be that there wouldn't be the option to manually lower them for a handicap ;)
    And I'm not sure it'd be possible to fool it, since it knows what hardware you're running
  17. That_One_Kane_Guy

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...ease-fix-the-cloaking-on-low-graphics.114754/
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...-infiltrator-cloaking-graphics-glitch.124008/
    They've bounced back and forth a few times, but more often than not, yes potato made them more visible. Regardless of which side of the pendulum they are on this time, if it is a legitimate issue it needs to be fixed. That being said I take everything the OP says about this particular topic with several spoonfuls of Morton's and a fifth of whiskey.

Hard pass. Some people may consider anything less than 144 FPS to be unacceptable, some may be fine with 120, some 60. Some just crank it up to the make the game as pretty as possible, framerate be damned. You will never accommodate all of them, best to leave it alone.
  18. Johannes Kaiser

Getting rid of graphic settins isn't a good idea. For reading purposes I have a 4k display, but my GPU could not handle PS on 4k and any kind of decent optics without dipping below 25 fps. Trust me, I tried. So I scaled back to 1920x1080 and can play happily on Ultra. There are other games that punish players for this (in Total War Warhammer and SWTOR the UI writing is extremely washed out when scaled, for example; to a tolerable degree in the former, not tolerable in the latter), but I would not want PS to start fiddling around with my settings.
  19. Crayv

Long ago infils were the most visible on low setting but a bunch of people with GTX Titans complained that their higher frame rate wasn't a big enough advantage and that they should be the most visible on ultra.... and the devs apparently listened.