Planetside 2 consistent CTD under very specific circumstance

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Sexy, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Sexy

So I was getting a CTD within 5 minutes of launching the game every time (G12 error). Whenever this happened, my audio driver would crash as well. I'd have to restart to get any audio device to function (I don't have anything fancy installed, just Realtek).

So here's where it gets weird.

The thing that fixes this is underclocking my GPU clock and memory by 100mhz.

You might think I have a GPU instability, but this only happens with Planetside. VR games, Battlefield 1 and V, TF2, Destiny 2, Homeworld, Minecraft, No Mans Sky, Warframe, Dead Space 2 & 3, Subnautica, etc all work no problem without any changes to the GPU. I've even tried stress tests and I can overclock reasonably well before getting stability errors. For whatever reason, this only happens with Planetside 2 (and also I have no idea why anything related to GPU clock would crash my audio driver..)

PC is a 9600k, MSI Z390a, Asus GTX 980 ti with current drivers.
  2. BrbImAFK

Weird. But then, there's more than a few CTD bugs in PS2, and some of them are oddly intermittent.

Just last week, I had a bug (only lasted 3 days) where, if I got blown up while driving a Lightning, it would CTD. Any other death? Fine. Death in any other vehicle? Fine. Bailing from the Lightning just before it goes up and getting killed by the explosion? Fine. Get killed IN the Lighting and CTD. Weirdest thing. Just randomly started (there was no related patch) and just randomly stopped 3 days later (again, no patch).
  3. Talthos

I've noticed that Planetside 2 tends to strain system stability more than a lot of other games, especially considering the state of its spaghetti code (and all the memory leaks it still has).

Edit: And last I checked, the game still uses a bunch of Flash-based coding for its UI elements (and Flash is notorious for its stability problems at high GPU clocks with 'hardware acceleration' enabled).