[Suggestion] The Graphics settings could use some reworks and fixes.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SubsonicBeatz154, Mar 2, 2020.

1. SubsonicBeatz154

Now, i know that graphics probably aren't that high on the devs priority list with Escalation still looming on the horizon (at the time of posting this), but there are some quirks, bugs, and general weirdness that need to be addressed.

Some settings are identical to each other with identical visuals and framerate, and others just seem to be outright broken or screwed up in some other way.

DISCLAIMER: This list represents what i personally think should be done to the graphics settings. The devs could chose to handle this in any number of ways.

And with that out of the way. Here is my list of suggestions for improving the graphics settings.

Graphics Quality:
    #1: This setting should be removed and split into multiple options for greater customization. The distortion effect seen on all shields in the world (spawn rooms, vehicle shields, Engineer Anti-Infantry Turrets/Hardlight Barriers, etc) and some particles/effects, and the Lens Dirt/flairs effect that is seen on High will all become their own toggle-able options.
    #2: Add support/a setting for various types of Anti-Aliasing (other than whatever High seems to use, as it doesn't do a very good job).
    #3: Allow the Render Quality/3D resolution setting to be set to a maximum of 200% without modifying UserOptions.ini. This effectively gives Super Sample Anti-Aliasing when increased beyond 100%.

Lighting Quality:
    #1: Medium has higher reflection quality than High, this should be the other way around.
    #2: If the changes to the Graphics Quality setting are implemented, Low's quality will be what the lighting quality looks like with Graphics Quality on Low, Medium's quality will be that of Graphics Quality on Medium, and High will be equal to Graphics Quality on High (this would also fix the problem with Bloom and Ambient Occlusion not working on Low and Medium Graphics Quality).

Model Quality and Terrain Quality:
    #1: These settings would be merged together under the new name Geometry Quality. Similar situation to Particles and Effects, redundant to have these be different settings due to how similar they are.
    #2: Model Quality doesn't seem to have any noticeable differences in terms of quality and performance on Low and Medium (probably a similar bug to the Low/Medium Shadows and Medium/High Flora settings).

Flora Quality:Medium and High are the exact same from my testing, give High increased draw distance to make it better.

Shadow Quality:
    Low and Medium are identical, same quality and frame-rate. Either remove Low or change/fix it to use blob shadows like the UI tool-tip suggests.

Texture Quality:#1: We need higher resolution textures. Yes, i know that would bring up the games file-size a bit, but the current textures look like their from a mid 2000's game at times.
    #2: Add an Anisotropic Filtering setting. This would also help out a lot with texture quality. Setting will range from Off to 16x (the standard for most games).

Particles and Effects Quality:These settings would be merged together, with Effects Quality keeping the name of the setting. Having these be two separate settings for how similar they are is redundant.

Smoothing:Change to a more traditional framerate cap setting that allows you to set the value manually instead of it defaulting to 60fps. This value can be set to whatever the user desires, but must be a minimum of 30fps so they can't break the game with VERY low values. You might want to put an upper limit of around 300fps though to prevent things from potentially breaking with crazy high numbers. Enabling V-Sync will automatically disable this and make the UI for it not able to be interacted with.

Ambient Occlusion:
    Add a sample quality setting, this will have a Off, Low, Medium, High and Ultra dropdown selection that replaces the original AO toggle checkbox. As a point of reference, Low will be whatever the game currently uses, Medium would be around 1.25x that, High would be about 1.5x the sample quality as Low, and Ultra will be 2x the quality as Low.

Bloom:Add a Bloom Intensity setting. This would function as a slider going between 100% (default) and 0%, setting it to 0% effectively disables Bloom, values in between that make the Bloom less intense. This slider will be non-interactable if Bloom is disabled.

And with that, my list is complete! Thank you if you made it this far!
    • Up x 1
  2. AbsinthSvK

i put almost all settings OFF, to get good fps in huge battles.
    Shadows for example, i dont know how they look like because i turned them off years ago :D
    • Up x 1
  3. SubsonicBeatz154

The fact that most people play on low settings anyways doesn't excuse the fact a lot of settings are literally broken. With the introduction of DX11, some of these settings have almost no performance impact now (if you have a decent GPU) and are basically free quality enhancements. The only settings that directly impact my performance now are Shadows being enabled and Particles on Ultra.
  4. OneShadowWarrior

-HDR support added would be nice
    -Different types of anti aliasing and ambient occulusion levels would be nice
    -more support for multi monitor setups or ultra widescreen
    -better rendering for high pixels especially at 1440, pixels of fast moving characters do blot out.
    -better support for much higher resolutions beyond 5120 x 1440 or with DSR as I get to much fisheye effect or scopes and objects that do not render properly or seem stretched.