Dear DBG, could you "look into" the "continent bias"?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zizoubaba, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Zizoubaba

For those who don't know, each continent has a warpgate faction bias, for various reasons which I won't get into.

What this means is that each continent has a warpgate from which, no matter the faction, the tendency to win Alerts is much higher than the other two warpgates.

These are :

Indar : Northern Warpgate
    Amerish : North Western Warpgate
    Esamir : Southern Warpgate
    Hossin (WHO CARES ABOUT ***** HOSSIN)

I didn't check the stats before posting this, but if needed I can take the time backup what I'm saying with numbers.

Anywho, dear DBG, could you attempt to make them a little more balanced?

You've focused a lot on components in the game that are mindless "arcade" stuff lately but also the past few years. Maybe spend a little time looking at the objective based gameplay too?
  2. UberNoob1337101

I don't see alert imbalances with continents with the exception of Esamir South, where not having to deal with eternal combat in Mani is a godsend strategically, but hey, continents could use better/more open lattice (especially Esamir).

Over the course of.the game, I've seen factions in all three locations on Indar/Amerish do equally well and equally bad, so no comment on that.
    Okay m9, now you're crossing the line :p . Hossin no bulli!
    • Up x 1
  3. JibbaJabba

History time.

The game began without warpgate rotation at all. After some months they were rotated manually during server restarts every few weeks.

It was at this time the warpgate imbalances were first noticed. As you mention some continent favors a certain warpgate.

Indar, Amerish, and Esamir have each had at least one overhaul / rebalance pass where some stubborn bases were altered and some weaker ones were fortified.

You're not going to get them perfect. It's near impossible. They are about as good as they are going to get. Further alteration may actually make things worse. Take quartz ridge for example. It's an overly stubborn base that was easier to roll through previously. Because of this the number of fights at the Tech plant to the south and Indar Ex to the north have been diminished.

The crown also was made too easy to take when (unlike quartz because of it's location) is undesired.

I wouldn't mind them tweaking a few bases, but really with dev nearly in maintenance mode on a 6 year old IP, I would prefer they put what limited resources they have elsewhere.

Also, I near didn't respond because of your Hossin comment. :p It belays the fact that you might not know this stuff very well. It's one of the more balanced continents as it was designed after lessons were learned elsewhere. It's also partially incomplete so should be the first to get an update to remove remaining (temporary) construction bases.
  4. Zizoubaba

I had a look at the usual stat sites (like this one https://www.ps2alerts.com/ ) but couldn't find one that had a "filter" by warpgate.

That means, if I really wanted to prove my case, I'd have to go thorugh the stats manually and then filter them myself by warpgate and I'm not about to do that @@

So yeah, I take back what I said, I'm not going to back it up with numberrs, it's too much work.

Still, any player who's been playing a long time will know this, it's common knowledge, but you're gona have to trust me on this one ;)

As to Hossin no one likes Hossin ! EXCEPT WEIRDOS :)
  5. OgreMarkX

Dev's are tasked with updates to Planetside 2 that only benefit the hoped for launch of PS:A.

1. Sancutaries (i.e. spend money in our lobby puhlease)
    and
    2. New Player Experience (how do we retain players who try Planetside:Arena?)

PS2 has become a testing ground for Planetside:Microtransaction....err..I mean, Planetside:Whale...no no I mean...Planetside:EA....wait gosh darn it, I meant, Planetside:Are-We-Milking-Wallets......ugh....

Profit good. Forced gambling and greed, bad.

Money is stored value.
    Create a thing of value and money changes hands.
    Create a pyramid scheme or appearance of value and money changes hands once.
    • Up x 2
  6. JohnnyWayne

Wait a minute, Hossin was release in 2014 around the time I stopped playing because of these shady things that happened during the transformation from SOE to DBG. They didn't take the ressources to fix their continent for 5 whole years and now they plan to throw out a new one? How much time can it take to fix a few (I guess like 5 here) bases?!

Amerish >> Hossin >>>>>> Esamir >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Indar.

God damn vehicle and airplain friendly maps that are made for ****ters that can't play without hiding in armor. Infantry vs air combat is also so laughably one sided that it does barely matter in the grand scheme if it takes the most skill to fight air vs air.
  7. Peebuddy

I wholeheartedly believe biolabs should be moved to be the closest facility to your warpgate, A biolab should be the bastion on which your enemies break themselves upon to prevent a complete warpgate lock. Having them right on the boarder between factions simply means stagnation which is a shame because they did spend a ton of time revamping these bases for them to be vacant most of the time.

To be honest NO facility on the boarder should be these damn near impossible fortresses to take, they should be like outposts which get progressively more difficult the closer you get toward the warpgate. Probably too late for current continents but one can always hope Oshur will be different in base layout mentality.
    • Up x 1
  8. JibbaJabba

Hossin got a refresh pass where most of the construction bases were removed but the second refresh pass never happened. Designing new bases from the ground up is apparently time consuming enough that it doesn't make it to the top of the list. It seems to me like the finishing touches are overdue for sure though.
  9. JohnnyWayne

They probably don't even remember that happened anymore...
  10. OneShadowWarrior

I see more faction biased than continent, once a certain side is showing it’s winning, everyone jumps on that faction when events occurs for the rewards or points. The events actually created more exploits.