Planned Death Camera

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GeneralPrime_PT, Aug 16, 2019.

1. GhostAvatar

So basically the only play style they want is zerging and rushing. GG
    • Up x 2
  2. LodeTria

Actually eperienced players find the concept of worse players coming directly for them quite nice actually. It means you don't have to go searching for the kill they come to you.

Also you'd see anyones implants when they kill you anyway, death cam or not.
  3. pnkdth

I understand why you might object to it but I think the impact of this most rudimentary of Death Cams is exaggerated. In addition, I want the added challenge because it will make flanking more important since you have to make it stick + if not capitalised on might become a new frontline which open up new venues or mean you must consider a different approach.

I'm up for the challenge, if you will, and think it'll lead to more engaging battles.

The beginner experience is better than it has ever been but most vet view things from a perspective as it used to be. We never had to deal with BR100+ ASP max level implanted characters with thousands of hours in the game. A fairly common problem progression games have when they get older as the road ahead looks longer and longer the later you join the game.
  4. adamts01

It doesn't matter when it's a step in the wrong direction. We've had too many of these little steps already. They add up.
    • Up x 3
  5. Brooder69

This is a stupid addition that no one asked for.
    • Up x 4
  6. AlcyoneSerene

Sure, but if you're using high mag scope, a light assault with a shotgun or power knife stalker maybe not so much, or 2xC4 on your tank in hiding. Never implied you don't already see implants, but that those implants used for the purpose of stealth are given away.

@pnkdth BR's capped at 120 were and are still around, just now as ASP100. I've got my TR & VS at ASP ~99 and working on NC now. What it means is more certs & ISOs & experience to make more playstyles and vehicles maxed. A low BR player can still be perfectly competitive at their chosen specialty, just less able to respond to multiple scenarios, which matters less in a squad anyways as others will fill the other roles or provide the vehicles. I don't see it as a problem to have those thousands of hours dedicated to a game one really likes being rewarded in some way - lateral progression - without making it pay2win or completely unfair at every turn.
  7. GeneralPrime_PT

I'm not going to quote this because I'm too lazy but here we go...
    Someone said that the kill cam would be useful because it shows newer players exactly how experienced ones kill them. That is exactly how it shouldn't be. This is a team game. You're supposed to get into outfits and squads/platoons within your faction and try to kill enemies together. Those are the people who should teach you those things. Not a death cam. You're not supposed to just run around as a noob bullet sponge or something. That is what needs to be encouraged. The teamplay. Annoying people with this death cam is a step in the wrong direction as it tends to the new players by putting a weight on the vets instead tasking the vets to teach the noobs of their respective factions. So many times were alerts lost because there was no actual command structure. Just 400 zerglings and nobody useful on command chat.
  8. pnkdth

I know you feel comfortable with this situation. I was referring to new players who arrive in a much less forgiving environment even though there are rewards and such which made it easier than it used to be. That and I find the knee-jerk reaction to this to be overblown as if it will make the entire game crumble before us.

At my most cynical all I see are vets trying protect their farm.
    • Up x 1
  9. TR5L4Y3R

except people did ask for it .. but since it is a minority of course act like it didn´t happen ..
  10. pnkdth

It was probably me. The issue with squads and outfits is most of the time it does not happen, either because new players does not join one or because players who can lead are busy leading their outfit. Among all of this is quite rare to find a squad/platoon leader who has the patience to do this on a regular basis. Then there is the issue that all rewards (other than a base cap) is individual in nature which nurtures a farm/zerg mentality.

This is a large part why I endorse this change, it will upset the farm and actually challenge vets who's grown rich and fat off a bad situation. If we also can help new players understand why they get repeatedly dunked then so much the better. I think the player base as a whole will be better off in the end.
  11. sjtw_w_stot

Yeah, I'm on pretty crap internet but trying to play this game is the worst. Can play all other games with some slight lag but this game, people pop like popcorn all the time. Game is like 6 years old, if they haven't gotten around to it by now they never will. The writing is on the wall for this game.
  12. Liewec123

ofcourse it does, because its screwing over every clever spot that you find...
    that isn't a good thing.
    "well done! you found a really good spot! screw you, move."
    repeat ad infinitum.
  13. pnkdth

That's where strategy and tactics comes in. If your opponent expect one thing, do another.
  14. Liewec123

and if they don't expect one thing, DBG will make them expect it.
  15. pnkdth

In this case it hurts camping and push the meta forwards so I stand by my previous statement. Maybe you, and others here, should apply the same "git gud" mentality to yourself as you expect new players?
  16. JibbaJabba

This isn't going to change much for vets.

The veteran infiltrator has already moved from that spot after doing the kill.
    The veteran target that was killed already knows roughly or exactly where it came from.

For new players this will help them learn both what not to do (get killed from there) and what to do (try that spot yourself sometime!).

As someone else said though....All downsides to this are offset by the ability to teabag on the live camera.
  17. Liewec123

its not about "git gud" its about DBG ruining ingenuity.
    it doesn't hurt camping, it hurts flanking.
    i can still camp infront of the chokepoint and spam my UBGL at it wracking up kills,
    but if you try getting kills from a unique position it'll let the enemy know exactly where you are.

this isn't pushing the meta, its homogenising it, any flanking lone wolf is dead now because every player you kill knows exactly where you were.

the only people who a "this is who killed you" cam doesn't harm are people mindlessly zerging head on.
    attack from any other spot and this camera is a nerf to your playstyle.
  18. pnkdth

It does hurt camping, which is great, and it makes doing the same flanking action over and over and over and over and over again less useful (which is just a small step over charging head on). Plus if there is a 2nd front forming there is opportunity to push elsewhere. That is if PS2 players suddenly start to expertly communicate with everyone (and we all know the zergballs have super tight organisation) but the more likely scenario is that you will face more people who are ready for you than before.

Yepp, and if you do the same over and over those who die to it will wise up.

So... if something that we can do today, after the implementation of a Death Cam, will be made more difficult thus requires new and different approaches this isn't pushing the meta? It will make so you can't rely on one thing but need a broader tactical mind. Sorry but you're going to have to elaborate here. What do you mean by a meta game exactly?
  19. Liewec123

except mindless frontal zerging,
    again, this is bad for anyone with a brain, the only people unaffected are those who push directly from the front.
    yes you are right that it will mean you need to "keep mixing it up", but WHY?!
    because DBG decided that your enemies should suddenly gain omnipresent knowledge when they haven't earned it?

i see absolutely no reason to ruin the game for people who took the time to think and use their brain to get to a good spot.
    and no, i dont accept your hypothetical example earlier about new players logging off.
    if getting shot by a well positioned enemy that they can't find is what makes them log off,
    then they weren't going to last long in PS2 anyway,
    enough handicaps already, if you want to find the hiding player, pull a flashlight!
    don't just wait for DBG to give you absolute knowledge
    "i'm dead but magically now know exactly where the guy is who killed me."
  20. pnkdth

I think we've been over this enough times and it is pretty evident where our positions are. It isn't like I am entirely unsympathetic to your position, I just think the pros outweigh the cons.

Accept it or not, the new player experience has been a known problem for a long time and has gotten progressively worse as the game has went on (despite the additions so far because what's been missing is not some extra certs or generic tutorials). It is the same with any progression game which has been out for a long time, after awhile the old players are are so far ahead it is a real slog to catch up. For me, this change is worth it for new players and because of what I've laid out in our back and forths.
    • Up x 1